82330New to BGT? Great! Please read this before posting your first Owner Review

  • chcoa
    Sep 3, 2013
      Hello aspiring gear testers

      We are super glad you are here and hope you will be joining
      the ranks of our established gear testers very soon. Below you will find some
      must do's if you want your Owner Review (OR) added to our Edit Queue.   These points will make your life and the
      lives of those involved with the OR process much easier. We all appreciate you
      taking time to review and apply this info. BEFORE submitting your first OR.

      1. READ the “How to Become a Tester” information on the

      www.backpackgeartest.org
        website carefully. I know at first
      glance the documentation seems like a major uphill climb but as with all
      summits, the work you put in ahead of time will definitely pay off as you work
      your way through our process.

      2. We strongly encourage new writers to write about, A. a simple
      piece of gear and B. and item with which you have LOTS of trail time. By lots
      we mean a season or more involving several days/nights in the field.   Use around town, in your backyard, etc. does
      not count as field time.

      3. ORs will NOT be accepted into the Owner Review Edit Queue
      if they do not clearly state the number of days/nights you have used the item.
      Given the nature of an Owner Review and the possible amount of years you could
      have owned the item we understand it may not be possible for you to recall the
      exact number of uses so an estimate is fine.

      4. ORs will also not be accepted if you do not include your
      real full name and email address in the Tester Bio Section at the top of your
      report.

      5. We highly recommend including at least one picture of the
      gear in your Owner Review.   Although not
      mandatory in the first OR, pictures are required for the 2 nd and all
      reviews of BGT test gear so adding one or more to OR #1 is good practice.

      6. Please make sure you spell-check and proofread your work
      before posting and reposting to the Yahoo group. You will avoid a ton of silly
      errors and time if this is diligently done. And more importantly you won’t be
      wasting your editor’s time either!

      7. When you are ready to post your first Owner Review to the
      Yahoo group for editing please also create an HTML version.   This version should be uploaded to the TEST
      Folder on the www.backpackgeartest.org
      website. Include a link to the HTML version at the top of the OR you submit to
      the Yahoo group so your editor knows where to look for it.   You will not be able to proceed through the
      edit process until the HTML version has been uploaded to the Test Folder.   If you need assistance with converting your
      report to HTML please see our Report Writer on the main BGT website.

      8. When posting an OR for the first time to the Yahoo Group please
      use this format in the subject line…

      Owner Review: Company & Product – Your Name

      Here's a current example from one of our veteran testers …

      OR - Injinji Tetratsok Liner - Kathy Waters

      9.   When REPOSTING,
      meaning after your OR has been taken and edited by an editor AND you have made
      all the requested corrections, please use this format in the subject line…

      REPOST: OR - Company & Product – Your Name

      Ex: REPOST: OR - Sea to Summit Silk Liner - Shawn Wakefield

      10. If you will be off hiking, visiting your grandchildren,
      having a baby, heading an expedition to each of the 7 summits or otherwise away
      from email access for more than   two or
      three days it is very much appreciated if you post a note to the Yahoo group to
      let us know what is going on. At BGT we call this an Out of Pocket notice or
      OOP. This quick note lets us know you are still around and interested in BGT
      but you are away from email contact for a predetermined length of time. Please
      include your name, the dates you will be out of contact, and what ORs are
      affected by your absence.

      Again, welcome to BGT and I hope you find this message
      informative. Please direct any questions to the BackpackGearTest Yahoo group.

      Cordially,

      Mrs. Jamie DeBenedetto

      Editors Team Director
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic