      From: Kathy Waters [mailto:kathy@...]
      Sent: Saturday, August 31, 2013 2:24 PM
      To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: OR - GSI Soft Sided Wine Carafe - Kathy Waters

      Ray and/or Richard,

      B'low is the tex for an OR. This was a very fun to use and I did extensive
      research for the review! I hope Word's speling an grammer check'in werked,
      'cuz i am still testin' to mak sur the craf is gud.

      URL - http://tinyurl.com/qdmn5no

      August 31, 2013

      NAME: Kathleen Waters

      EMAIL: kathy at backpackgeartest dot com

      AGE: 62

      LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado, USA

      GENDER: F

      HEIGHT: 5' 4" (1.60 m)

      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      Living in Colorado and being self-employed, I have ample opportunities to
      backpack. There are over 700,000 acres/280,000 hectares of public land
      bordering my 71-acre/29-hectare "backyard" in addition to all the other
      gorgeous locations which abound in Colorado.

      Over the past 15 years, my husband John and I have also had the good fortune
      to hike/snowshoe glaciers, rain forests, mountains and deserts in exotic
      locations, including New Zealand, Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death

      My hiking style is comfortable, aiming for lightweight. I use a tent
      (rainfly if needed). Current pack averages 25 lb (11 kg) excluding food and

      Manufacturer: GSI Outdoors, Inc.

      Year of Manufacture: 2012

      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.gsioutdoors.com

      MSRP: US $9.95

      Listed Weight: 1.3 oz (37 g)

      Measured Weight: 1.5 oz (43 g)

      Listed and Measured Size: 6" x 1.7" x 11.2" (15.2 x 4.3 x 28.5 cm)

      Other details:

      * Volumn: 750 ml (25 fl oz)

      * Materials: PE Laminate, Polypropylene, Silicone

      * BPA Free

      * Two-stage cap opening - wider mouth for filling and then an upper cap for

      * Tapered silhouette with cork embellishment and foiled exterior

      * Rewritable date bar on reverse to record varietal, vintage, vinter and
      uncorking date.

      Made in China

      The GSI Soft Sided Wine Carafe has been a very frequently-used item on my
      hikes and backpacks ever since I got it last autumn. My hiking companions
      and I often like to enjoy a celebratory summit toast - even when we don't
      actually "summit" - and sitting around that nighttime campfire, well, wine
      is just fine!

      I would have to say that almost all my all-day hikes and weekend backpacks
      have seen me utilizing this very handy carafe. From treks in our backyard
      playground of Cooper Mountains and the bordering Bureau of Land Management
      (BLM) property to the 11 Mile Range in Breckenridge, Wasatch Mountains in
      Utah and various other trails in Colorado's Rocky Mountains region.

      Temperatures have spanned 4 season now, so lows have been as low as 20 F (7
      C) and highs as high as 100 F (38 C). And while, the carafe doesn't offer
      any insulation, I have never had the contents freeze or get so hot as to be
      undrinkable, though after a long day in 90+ F (32 +C) blazing sun, the wine
      wasn't at its best. Hmm, maybe that's not a good thing - not finding a wine
      almost simmering to still be drinkable!

      Let me explain why I like this GSI Carafe so well.

      I'll start with - it's easy to fill. Well, let me say, it's easy to fill
      once I found the knack of it. I'm not the most nimble and graceful person,
      so pouring a bottle of wine with one hand while holding a semi-floppy carafe
      in the other can result in a rapidly expanding red puddle, stained
      pants/shirt and muffled words of frustration. It's not the carafe's fault -
      it's me! The opening in the carafe is about the size of any soda bottle,
      so aiming is crucial. I found if I blow strongly into the carafe before I
      start to fill it, the carafe will expand and the envelope bottom will change
      from knife-edge to a more stable shape I can then stand on a flat surface.
      I usually use the kitchen sink so as to contain any dribbles. I also prefer
      using a funnel to be even safer - wine stains are just plain nasty!

      To prepare the carafe for use in very warm weather, I fill it with water and
      put it in the refrigerator overnight to chill it. If white wine is on the
      next day's menu, I've filled the carafe with the wine and chilled the whole
      kit and caboodle overnight with great success. This process helps keep the
      wine from tasting like something to be served at a Wassail feast.

      Once filled, the carafe is securely sealed via the attached cork-banded cap.
      I can't thank GSI enough for that little 2.5 inch (6.4 cm) piece of cord
      that keeps me from spending a half a day searching among the rocks or trail
      for an errant cap I've managed to drop. In the past, losing a wine bottle
      top has resulted in some wobbly knees after having to hastily finish off the
      remaining liquids!

      Two of the most notable features of the carafe are its soft sides which
      enable it to be pack in my backpacks more easily than a glass, plastic or
      metal container and its negligible weight. I can mold the carafe into
      corners and pockets of my pack where a rigid bottle wouldn't go and it
      definitely weighs less than any other liquid-toting container I own. Once
      empty, the carafe collapses and can even be folded small enough to fit in a
      leg pocket of my cargo-type pants, if I want.

      On the trail, the upper cap can be opened and the contents can be squirted
      from the carafe similarly to many water bottles on the market. I never
      really drink wine while hiking - I only partake when in a resting position
      because I'd probably trip and fall on a trail if I tried to "drink and
      hike". But I did test out the "squeeze, squirt and slurp" feature once to
      write this review. It works but wine tastes so much better when poured into
      a glass, I believe. Oh well, all right - poured into a cup, even if it is a
      plastic one!

      The carafe doesn't change the taste of the wine, even rather light white
      wines, though I found I need to be very careful about washing it out
      thoroughly particularly after a long hot day with a robust red vintage on
      trail or else the previous wine contents' odor lingers.

      And since I mentioned "cleaning", I've never done more than filling the
      carafe with hot water, vigorously shaking it, repeat a few times and then
      letting it air dry before storing it in a cool place lying flat. I found
      that inserting a plastic straw into the mouth of the carafe and letting it
      air dry upside down with the straw balancing the carafe in a tall glass
      works well. Once dry, the carafe gets stored until the next adventure

      1.) Light-weight option for carrying wine into the backcountry.

      2.) Easy to fill up.

      3.) Has an attached cap so as to not lose it on the trail.

      4.) Takes up minimal space in my pack, especially when empty.

      1.) Would be easier to clean if the opening were just a bit larger.

      Last September, I was given the GSI Soft Sided Wine Carafe by a PR rep at a
      (different) manufacturer's annual press day. At the time, I thought it a
      neat little gadget but was totally clueless as to just how neat a little
      gadget it was! After using the carafe multiple times over the past
      almost-year, I'm convinced it is one of the most useful items a backpacker
      who is a wine drinker (or a wine drinker who backpacks) can have.

      It's easy to fill, pack in any day or backpack, and wash/dries/stores
      without any fuss. And, most importantly, it's easy to drink from.

      I'm so glad I have one of these and have even given 2 as gifts since I got
      mine (mostly to keeps mine safe from my admiring hiking buddies!).

      Kathleen (Kathy) Waters