82298OR - Swiftwick Pursuit Seven Socks - Kathy Waters

  • Kathy Waters
    Aug 26, 2013
      Richard and/or Ray,

      Below is an OR. It's been a while so make sure that marking pen is fully
      loaded! The URL in the test file is http://tinyurl.com/kq7jus6

      Thanks (I think) in advance for your comments and edits.

      Kathy

      ________________________________________________-

      SWIFTWICK PURSUIT SEVEN MID-CALF SOCKS

      BY KATHLEEN WATERS

      OR

      August 25, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kathleen Waters

      EMAIL: kathy at backpackgeartest dot com

      AGE: 62

      LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado, USA

      GENDER: F

      HEIGHT: 5' 4" (1.60 m)

      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      Living in Colorado and being self-employed, I have ample opportunities to
      backpack. There are over 700,000 acres/280,000 hectares of public land
      bordering my 71-acre/29-hectare "backyard" in addition to all the other
      gorgeous locations which abound in Colorado.

      Over the past 15 years, my husband John and I have also had the good fortune
      to hike/snowshoe glaciers, rain forests, mountains and deserts in exotic
      locations, including New Zealand, Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death
      Valley.

      My hiking style is comfortable, aiming for lightweight. I use a tent
      (rainfly if needed). Current pack averages 25 lb (11 kg) excluding food and
      water.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Swiftwick

      Year of Manufacture: 2013

      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.swiftwick.com

      MSRP: US$ 21.99

      Listed Weight: 2.3 oz (64 g)

      Measured Weight: 2 oz (59 g)

      Sizes Available: Small to XLarge - unisex sizing

      Size Reviewed: Medium

      Colors Available: Black, Brown, Gray

      Color Reviewed: Gray

      Other details:

      * A light compression sock with a 7 inch (17.8 cm) single layered cuff and
      1 inch (2.5 cm) welt which hits mid-calf.

      * Material: 64% Merino, 29% Nylon, 7% Spandex

      * Lifetime Warranty

      * Made in the USA

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Swifwick Pursuit Seven Mid-Calf Socks are Australian Merino wool light
      compression socks. The compression part of the socks is compliments of the
      29% Nylon and 7% Spandex materials in the construction.

      The Swiftwick Pursuit line of socks is labeled from Zero to Twelve and the
      number in the style name corresponds to the length of the sock from
      "no-show" socks all the way to "over-the-calf." So in this review, the
      Pursuit Seven indicates it has a 7 inch (17.8 cm) length which for me is
      just about mid-calf. The welt - top edge of the cuff - is a generous 1 inch
      (2.5 cm). The whole sock body is knitted in a 200-needle construction,
      surprisingly thin, flat stitch. The socks are "thin" that is, except for
      the soles which are noticeably more cushioned from the heel to just over the
      top of my toes.

      Just above the heel and circling over the top of my foot is a black and gray
      checkered pattern which appears to be more stretchy than the rest of the
      sock. The same stitching pattern is repeated at the toe box. "Swiftwick"
      is over-stitched just below and there is a Swiftwick logo at the back top of
      each cuff.

      FIELD USE AND PERFORMANCE

      I've had the pleasure of wearing the Swiftwick Pursuit Seven socks for about
      two months now. While that may not sound like a terribly long period of
      time, I have probably worn them more in that period of time and put more
      miles/kilometers on them than normal as I have worn them at least 2-3 days a
      week (sometimes, more). Really!

      I currently live on a construction site (finally, we are building our
      house!) and that means, at best, dirt. At worst, that means mud. Not to
      mention, nails, boards, holes and uneven dirt! So, my footwear for all this
      summer has been boots and yes, socks. No cute, little strappy sandals for
      me, no sir! And that's just everyday wear. Of course, I also don socks and
      boots for weekly hiking/backpacking trips as well. Mostly, I've worn the
      Pursuit Seven socks with my current pair of trail runners when at home, in
      town and on generally level, more-or-less, groomed trails. On backpacking
      trips, I worn the socks with mid-height boots, especially when my pack
      weight exceeded 20 lb (9 kg) or more, such as on our Huron Peak trek.

      Since I wanted to evaluate the Pursuit Seven this summer, I deliberately
      wore them more often. I counted 22 days with these socks on my feet and I
      estimate over 120 miles (193 km) traveled.

      Almost all my forays were in southern Colorado, except for a short stint in
      Utah where I was able to get in a short (3 miles/5 km) evening hike during
      the Outdoor Retailer Summer Market. The weather was mostly hot and when it
      wasn't hot, it was hotter! Rarely, over the past two months has the daytime
      temperature been under 85 F (29 C) and very often it was well over 100 F (37
      C). Fortunately, thanks to our high desert climate, the night times cool
      down to the low 60s F (Teens C) and on one backpack near Huron Peak,
      Colorado, we were surprised by a night time low below freezing. So the
      Pursuit Seven socks have survived wild temperature extremes.

      Other than casual wear, all of my backpacking and hiking took place on rough
      terrain, whether bushwhacking in the Bureau of Land Management (BLM)
      property behind our property or on established trails in state or national
      parks lands. This entailed packed dirt, scree, granite slabs, loose rocks
      and boulders and oh yeah, mud, along with cactus and other prickly
      "hitch-hiker" vegetation.

      When I evaluate a pair of socks, I look at 4 things: fit, warmth, wicking
      and durability. I generally feel that if I'm not aware of my footwear - and
      that includes my socks - they must be doing their job properly. I prefer to
      focus on the joys of the outdoors when I'm on the trail, not the clothes I
      am wearing. So, if at the end of the day, I look down and see my socks and
      think - "Oh, I have the Pursuit Seven socks on. How did they do today?" -
      that's good thing

      That means the socks weren't so tight as to leave mini-mountain ridges on my
      calves nor were they so loose as to be creeping downward into my boots. It
      means my feet were warm when I was unprepared for the freezing temperatures
      at night at the trailhead on Huron Peak. It means my feet weren't sweating
      and causing me blisters when it was 100 F (37 C) on Music Pass, It means the
      bottoms of my feet were cushioned. All of which together means, I like
      them. I really, really, like them!

      The Pursuit Seven is a "light compression" sock that Swiftwick claims will
      promotes blood flow, thus improving circulation and increasing performance
      so it is very "fitted". There is a size chart on the Swiftwick website but
      I found the Medium size to be typical and to fit my women's size 8 (boot)
      feet just fine. I particularly appreciated the way the socks stayed put on
      my legs when scrambling up the trail, especially on the home stretch of
      Huron Peak, one of Colorado's famous Fourteeners (mountains summits over
      14,000 ft/4267 m). Faced with a very steep trail and large boulders, I
      really didn't want to be stopping to pull up my socks! I was too busy using
      my hands to hang on!

      I am a fairly recent convert to the wearing of wool all year round. I used
      to pull out the wool clothing at the first frost and pack it back away when
      the daffodils bloomed. I was under the delusion that wool would be itchy
      and too warm in the summer. Well, no more! Wool is a fantastic natural
      fiber that I come to rely on in the hottest of the hot weather. It's no
      warmer than any other fabric - actually, it's cooler than a lot of
      synthetics - AND it wicks away my inevitable sweat like no other fabric
      does. Wool is hydrophilic and pulls moisture away from my tootsies keeping
      them dry. The Pursuit Seven socks are wool and they perform off the charts
      in this aspect. And despite the extreme heat I exposed the socks to, and
      even after wearing them 3 days straight in that heat, the antimicrobial
      material (wool) kept my feet from clearing the tent at night.

      As for "durability", despite the abuse I've heaped on the Pursuit Seven
      socks and after multiple washings, they look brand-new. There has been no
      pilling, stretching, sagging or shrinking. According to the care directions
      on the socks' packaging, I washed the socks in cold water. I always wash
      using a tech wash liquid soap. While Swiftwick indicated the "tumble dry
      low", I air dry almost all my backpacking/hiking clothing and the Pursuit
      Seven socks are no exception. No bleach was used and Swiftwick didn't
      really need to tell ME to not iron them! I am very pleased with the way the
      socks are holding up.

      STARRING ATTRACTIONS

      1.) Solid, cushioned footbed helps to keep my feet from trail fatigue.

      2.) Stays in place during rigorous hiking and climbing even after several
      washings.

      3.) Wicks away sweat to keep my feet dry and blister-free.

      4.) I like the Swiftwick "conserve and recycle" philosophy and the fact
      they use no chemicals in the socks to wick away moisture!

      MINOR DISTRACTIONS

      1.) Um, let me think . . . I can't think of a thing, actually!

      SUMMARY

      Anyone who knows me knows I am addicted to three things: hats, shoes and -
      YES - SOCKS!

      I have dozens of brands and styles but, of course, I tend to grab some of
      the same ones more often than others. The Swiftwick Pursuit Seven Socks are
      now among those favored pairs. Having had the opportunity to try out these
      socks provided by Swiftwick was a chance I jumped at without a second
      thought. And am I glad that I did! These socks are supportive without
      being constrictive, warm without being sweaty and all-round, plain comfy! I
      plan to wear them throughout the years until they wear out and considering
      there is a "lifetime warranty" that might be a long time to come.

      Thank you, Swiftwick for making the Pursuit Seven!

      Kathleen (Kathy) Waters