82011OUTDOOR reasearch (VERGLAS) GAITERS

  • Adam Albertson
    Mar 8, 2013
      OUTDOOR RESEARCH (VERGLAS GAITER) MENS
      BY ADAM ALBERTSON
      OR
      February 12, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Adam Albertson
      EMAIL: Outdoorsman719@...
      AGE: 31
      LOCATION: Canon City Colorado U.S.A
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 180 lb (81.60 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I have been an avid Backpacker for 7years. My trips range from day hikes to week long trips.I backpack 12 months out of the year in all weather conditions.  I prefer extended trips into the Colorado high country during the summer and lower altitude Colorado Desert  trips in the winter. I have also done trips in Montana, Idaho,Washington and Utah. My day hikes consist of peak bagging or  rough,steep bushwacks .  I consider myself to be an ultra light Backpacker that makes additional sacrifices for comfort.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: OUTDOOR RESEARCH
      Year of Manufacture: 2008 <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE1">>
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.outdoorresearch.com/ch_en/or-gear/gaiters/mens-verglas-gaiters.html?___from_store=ch_de">>
      MSRP: US$60
      SIZE REVIEWED -MEDIUM
      COLOR REVIEWED-BLACK
      COLORS AVAILABLE- BLACK  - BLACK/BLUE
      Listed Weight: 7.3 oz (208 g) size L PAIR
      Other details: Size Available  S M L XL
      Fabric :
      Pertex® Shield 3L, 100% nylon 70D ripstop // Cordura® 500D inner leg and boot

          cordura®
          pertex®-shield
             Breathable
              Lightweight
              Webbing/Cam Buckle Top Closure
              Reinforced Boot Lace Hook
              Molded Boot Section
              Hypalon® Instep Strap
              Abrasion-Resistant Cordura® Boot
              1.5"-Wide Hook/Loop Front Closure
              Waterproof
      WASHING INSTRUCTIONS
      Machine wash, gentle cycle, 40c, recommend pure soap or detergent (do not use biological products) rinse well in cold water. Tumble dry on a cool setting (to restore water repellency) then cool iron (if applicable). Do not dry clean and do not bleach.

      FIELD USE

      I have owned this pair of  gaiters since 2009 . I bought them to keep snow and debris out of my boots while hiking.I put them on when i expect to be hiking through snow or thick wet brush.In cold weather the gaiters provide an extra layer of insulation for my ankles .I use these gaiters for snowy hikes in Colorado Sangre De Cristo mountains in fall, winter and spring months.These are a great addition to my winter gear for Snowshoeing . I estimate i have used these 100+ times  and they are still in great shape.

      SUMMARY

      These gaiters are great.They keep snow and trail debris out of my boots.The gaiters  protect my shins from minor cuts and scrapes while walking through thick brush.Gaiters also provide an extra layer of insulation in colder temperatures.I am very pleased with the way these Gaiters have held up over the years.

      THINGS I LIKE

      An excellent waterproof layer from the knee down.
      Easy to use. Step into the strap,wrap around leg then velcro the front shut.
      Very durable.
      Extra protection from cuts and scrapes on my legs.
      Keeps snow and debris out .
      Reasonable price.
      The Hypalon heel strap is really durable.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      The top cam buckle is kind of useless for sealing the top of the gaiter.
      The heel strap dose not stay in the loop so it sticks out and flops around while i hike.This is a minor annoyance that i got used to.
      The fabric is not very breathable,light condensation builds up on the inside when used in warm temperatures.

      SIGNATURE

      Adam Albertson
      Outdoorsman719@...

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.