81688OR - MEC Hydrofoil 3 Pants - Theresa Lawrence

  • Theresa Lawrence
    Nov 1, 2012
      OR edit team get ready for some rain gear reviews coming your way to close October's request ... here's the first ...

      HTML is here: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20MEC%20Hydrofoil%203%20Pants/

      MEC HYDROFOIL 3 PANTS
      By Theresa Lawrence
      OR
      November 01, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Theresa Lawrence
      EMAIL: theresa_newell AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 35
      LOCATION: Sparwood, British Columbia, Canada
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      I have more than 15 years of backpacking experience. Day hikes and 2-3 day backpacking trips take place on most weekends throughout the year while longer trips are only occasional. I backpack predominantly in mountain terrain (Coast Range, Cascades and Canadian Rockies) with the goal of summiting peaks. Activities I use my gear with include mountaineering, ski touring, rock climbing, kayaking, biking, trail running, Search and Rescue and overseas travel. I like my gear to be reasonably light, convenient and simple to use though I would not claim to be a lightweight hiker.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op)
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: http://mec.ca"
      MSRP: $80 CAD
      Listed Weight: 10.2 oz (290 g)
      Measured Weight: 10.6 oz (301 g)
      Colours Available: dark grey, black
      Sizes Available: regular or petite - small, medium, large, x-large
      Colour Reviewed: dark grey
      Size Reviewed: regular medium
      Inseam: 29 in (74 cm) - regular medium
      Fit: regular - generous, but not oversized
      Made In: Thailand
      Warranty: MEC Rock Solid Guarentee - if a product has not met expectations, bring it back for return, repair, exchange or credit.
      Washing Instructions: machine wash in cold water, tumble dry low, iron at low temperature, do not dry clean

      Product Information

      The MEC Hydrofoil 3 pants are intended to be an affordable, lightweight rain pant with breathability for use in wet climates. They are a 2-ply construction made of 50-denier mini twill ripstop nylon and the interior is coated with Toray's Entrant-DT microporous polyurethane coating, which according to the manufacturer makes them waterproof, moderately breathable, and durable. All seams are seam-taped for waterproofness and the outside is treated with Kudos Super Durable Water Repellency (DWR). The knees have an articulated design for maximum range of motion and a 3/4 length side zipper is added for ventilation. The waist is elastic with an adjustable drawcord.

      Field Use

      FIELD CONDITIONS: In the past 2 years I have worn these pants on a dozen or so overnight trips and day-hikes in the British Columbian Coast Mountains and South Canadian Rockies. They have seen many rainy days and snow with temperatures down to -5 C (-9 F).

      FIT: I bought the MEC Hydrofoil 3 pants 2 years ago as a replacement for similar ones that I misplaced (older version of the same I believe). I had the old ones for about 3 years and loved them, though they were the men's version. I bought the men's at the time because they were longer, but the downside was that they fit lower in the crotch and just felt big. This time I bought the women's fit and they do fit better, though still not as long as I would like. When bending and sitting they ride up above the tops of my boots, but walking and standing around in the rain, the length is just fine. They have proved to be comfortable and the articulated knee helps, this is a big improvement from the old version. They aren't too volumous and in fact they are just the perfect size for putting over pants and base layers.

      PERFORMANCE: These pants have impressed me over and over again. They have never failed to keep me dry whether it be hiking in the rain or hanging around at camp. While hiking, unzipping the sides lent itself to great ventilation, still kept me dry and kept me from overheating. The side zippers also made it easy to put the pants on and take them off without having to take off my boots. I should also note they are very lightweight and easy to pack.

      DURABILITY: They still look new, they've been covered in mud and I've never washed them. Mud dries and it brushes off presenting like new. All the seams are still sealed shut, the zippers, buttons and waist band are all perfectly in tact and work well.

      AFFORDABILITY: I should mention also that I chose to buy these pants because I didn't want to pay a fortune for their fancy waterproof breathable counterparts and I am still so pleased by my choice. They offer the best bang for buck I've ever seen in waterproof breathable pants.

      Summary

      I have always been pleased with my MEC Hydrofoil 3 pants. They go on every backpack and day-hike since I live in the mountains and there is always a possibility of rain. They even have a place in my Search and Rescue ready-pack. I recommend these waterproof breathable pants for hiking and camping in wet weather. They are lightweight, functional and very affordable.

      PROS
      - Nice looking
      - Comfortable and fit over hiking pants and base layers
      - Waterproof and breathable
      - Lightweight and easy to pack
      - Affordable

      CONS
      - A longer inseam would be preferable for my long legs

      Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic