81132EDIT - Trail Designs Caldera Ti-Tri system - Ed Morse

  • richardglyon@att.net
    Apr 2, 2012
      Ed,

      Great to have you off the DL and back with BGT!

      Here are your edits, in the standard format. When you Repost, please include a tinyurl link to the Tests/OR folder copy.

      Cheers, Richard

      <<TI-TRI SYSTEM>> [Title]
      EDIT: You need to add the manufacturer, and the word "Caldera." Also I see that Trail Designs makes three models now, and if yours is one of those three you need to name it. If yours predated the three models, you should mention in the Product Information section that there are now three models.

      <<My starting pack weight was 70 lbs (32 kg) with food but no water. >>
      EDIT: No "s" – 70 lb [Here and several other places.]

      << Three years ago I did a 2 week hike on Isle Royale. >>
      Edit: 2-week [with a hyphen]
      EDIT: Isle Royale, Michigan [Not everyone knows where Isle Royale is.]

      <<MSRP: US$79.00>>
      EDIT/Edit – The three MSRPs are now $79.95, $79.95, and $69.95. Unless you're certain it was without the cents when you purchased it, please revise.

      << I purchased the Ti-Tri system from Titanium Goat with their 750 ml pot.
      Perhaps that is why I didn't know about the Inferno Insert.>>
      EDIT: BGT normally doesn't allow reference to manufacturers whose gear isn't the subject of the Review or Report. Here though your OR should name the pot you're using. I'd move the first sentence to the description of your T-Tri system and delete the second sentence.

      <<Ti- Tri 750 system total 10.6 (301 g)>>
      EDIT: Delete the space after the hyphen.

      <<The Caldera Ti-Tri is a complete cooking system with three fuel capability.>>
      Edit: three-fuel [with a hyphen]

      <<While the Caldera website has a long list of pots for which systems may be ordered it is not all inclusive.>>
      Edit: all-inclusive [with a hyphen]

      <<The 750 ml pot I ordered with the system is 4.25 in high and 3.75 in (9.5
      cm) wide.>>
      EDIT: Missing a metric conversion

      <<The Ti Tri came with two titanium stakes. These are used as pot supports
      when using wood as fuel. In my opinion (and experience) it is not a stable
      setup. >>
      EDIT: Ti-Tri [With a hyphen. Mandatory here as it's part of the trademark.]
      Edit: this is not a stable setup ["stakes" is plural, makes use of the singular "it" confusing.]

      <<I ordered the Caldera Ti-Tri system with the 750 ml kettle which is not
      included in the MSRP. >>
      Edit: Here's where I'd identify your pot.

      << My first backpacking with the system was a week-long hike in the Ocala
      National Forest in Florida the first week of February of 2010.>>
      Edit: February 2010 [No need for "of" and makes this reference consistent with your other date references.]

      << I carried both alcohol and esbit tabs for fuel.>>
      EDIT: Esbit [capital E. Another trademark.]

      <<I could not find my notes but I do remember the low temperature was 22 F (-6 C) Early the third morning>>
      EDIT: early [lower case]

      <<I did a three day hike July 16 & 17 & 18, 2010 in the Manistee National Forest. >>
      Edit: three-day [with a hyphen. Here and a few other places.]

      << I only seem to learn by making mistakes. >>
      Comment: Welcome to the club!

      << The third day, May 23, 2011, I continued on through Kalkaska to Log Lake. I
      knew another friend, Sara, was somewhere on the trail so I called and asked
      if I could get a ride back to my Jeep. I then walked back and found a
      restaurant in Kalkaska, with a total of 16.5 miles (26.6 km) for the third
      day. Sara picked me up about two hours after I finished dinner and a cold
      beer.

      On May 27, 2011 I parked my Jeep the old US-131 Camp Ground Trail Head. A
      friend gave me a ride back to Fletcher Creek Camp Ground. I hiked 17.4 miles
      (28.0 km) to a stealthy camp about 200 feet (61 m) north of the trail and
      out of sight. I continued on the next day (May 28, 2011) to the old US 131 TH for another 15.3 miles (24.6 km).>>
      EDIT: I don't think these paragraphs add to your Review of the Ti-Tri system; they are more in the nature of trip description. Please delete them.

      <<As an alcohol or Esbit burner the Ti-Tri system works very well. I think that as a wood burner it left me with something to be desired.>>
      EDIT: I'd like some more detail why you think so. What makes this system work very well – ease of use, reliability, boiling time, packability? Same for why it's not so good with wood.