80835OWNER REVIEW: PATAGONIA DOWN SWEATER JACKET-WOMEN'S REVISED 12-23-11

  • Frances
    Dec 23, 2011
      Date: December 23, 2011
      Reviewer Information:
      Name: Frances Penn
      Age: 55
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
      Weight: 130 lbs. (59 kg)
      E-mail: fpenn@...
      Location: Costa Mesa, California
      I have been backpacking for four years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with one or two week long trips per year in the Sierras. My daypack weight is usually 15 lbs. and my backpack weight is usually 28-30 lbs. I am a tent camper and have experienced snow camp once, all night rain twice and heavy winds but mostly fair weather.
      Product Info:
      Manufacturer: Patagonia Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Description: The cerise color I own is similar to the Bougainvillea currently available but a few shades lighter. The jacket has a lightweight, windproof and water-resistant shell with a high tear-strength and a DelugeĀ® DWR (durable water repellent) finish. The quilted construction stabilizes the 800-fill-power premium European goose down. There are two zippered handwarmer pockets, and one interior zippered stretch mesh pocket which doubles as a stuff sack and has a carabiner clip-in loop. The nylon-bound elastic cuffs and drawcord hem seal in warmth and keep drafts out. The shell and lining are 1.4-oz 20-denier 100% polyester ripstop with a DelugeĀ® DWR (durable water repellent) finish. The insulation is 800-fill-power premium European goose down. This jacket can be worn as an outer or midlayer in colder climates. This jacket does not come with a stuff sack. The back pocket is intended as the temporary stuff sack, however the jacket should not be stored stuffed into the back pocket.
      MSRP: $200.00 US
      Field Info:
      Location(s) where test was conducted:

      3-day, 2 night trip to Big Pine Lakes area of the Sierras September 2011. I wore the jacket at night in camp over my thermal and light fleece base layer. Since it was raining and windy, I wore my rain jacket on top. I was toasty warm but did not overheat. When I removed my rain jacket to get into my sleeping bag, I was happy to find I did not perspire under all those layers and the cuffs had kept my base layers dry from the windy rain. This jacket is warm, the fit is comfortable and I look forward to many more years of enjoyment.
      3-day, 2 night trip to Dollar Lake in the San Gorgonio Wilderness to explore the area and climb 3 off trail peaks September 2011. The nights were 32 degrees and the daytime temps were 55-65 degrees. I wore the jacket at night in camp with a lightweight thermal, a heavier thermal, and light fleece underneath. I may not have needed all of these layers, but I am not a fan of being cold. The weather was dry and cold. The jacket kept me toasty warm. I had my rain jacket handy to use as an extra layer in case of wind or rain but it was not needed on that trip.
      2-day, 2 night trip to Joshua Tree December 2011. I wore the jacket over a lightweight thermal base layer, a heavier weight thermal and a lightweight fleece. The nights were below 32 degrees and the days were 50-55 degrees. There was ice in my water bottle in the morning. Because it was windy during the day, I wore it to hike for a few hours until the wind died down and the sun and hiking warmed us. I was very happy that I didn't overheat wearing the jacket for hiking but I felt like I had to be careful as we were hiking off trail and there are several plants that I was worried I would snag the jacket. I removed the jacket as soon as I was warm enough so as not to snag the outside. Since it is only 11 oz and highly compressible, it fit easily into my daypack without being stuffed into its back pocket and did not add any discomfort to my pack.
      The jacket does not come with a stuff sack. Its rear stuff pocket is intended as a temporary stuff sack. I tried stuffing the jacket into the pocket and did not like the result. I contacted Patagonia to see if I could purchase a small stuff sack for this or another jacket and was instructed to use the rear stuff pocket turned inside out as a temporary stuff sack. I tried this method and still did not like the results.
      Pros:
      Warmth to weight is awesome
      Lightweight and highly compressible
      Non-bulky feel. I almost forget I have the jacket on it is so lightweight.
      Comfortable fit for ease of layering
      Attractive style and color

      Cons:
      Expensive
      Rear stuff pocket could be a little larger to protect the jacket during the stuffing process

      Sizes run big to allow for layering. Consider purchasing one size smaller if you want a close fit.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic