80760OR - Ursack Minor - Charles Nichols

  • hikingshoes
    Dec 1, 2011
      Here is my review on my Ursack Minor. HTML at http://tinyurl.com/6rgf9ta

      Ursack Minor
      BY Charles Nichols
      November 30, 2011

      NAME: Charles Nichols
      EMAIL: hikingshoesATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 48
      LOCATION: Corinth, Mississippi, United States
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 218 lb (98.90 kg)

      Over the years, I have come to love hiking/backpacking. I have hiked sections of the Appalachian Trail, Palmetto Trail in South Carolina, Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama, and Big Hill Pond State Park in Tennessee. I started out with a 45 lb to 50 lb (20 to 23 kg) pack. After meeting other hikers using lighter gear has encouraged me to get lighter gear of my own. My current pack weight is 28 lb - 30 lb (13 to 14 kg) now.

      *Pictured here with and without optional aluminum liner
      *Photo Courtesy of Ursack website
      Manufacturer: Ursack
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.ursack.com/ursack-catalog.htm" LINK TEXT = "www.ursack.com">>
      MSRP: US $ 49.95
      Listed Weight: 2.7 oz ( 77 g)
      Measured Weight: 2.6 oz ( 74 g)

      PRODUCT Description : <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2">>
      *The Ursack Minor is made of superfine fiber and dense weave Kevlar farbic to prevent sharp toothed critters from getting your food.
      *The Ursack Minor will NOT protect against bears.
      *Diameter: 8 inches (20 m) X 13 inches (33 m) tall
      *intergrated 4 ft (1.22 m) cord
      *holds about 650 cubic inches (10652 cc )

      The Ursack Minor has been with me on numerous backpacking trips like the Appalachian Trail, Palmetto Trail in South Carolina, Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama, and Big Hill Pond State Park in Tennessee. Here are just a few trips where I have use my Ursack Minor car camping (2-3 days) and (3-4 days) backpacking trips.
      IMAGE 3 - Items I use to Hang my Ursack Minor (hereafter referred to as the "food bag").
      My Ursack Minor food bag, 550 cord 50 ft (54.24 m) with one end tied to the loop in the bottom of my rope bag. I add a rock to the rope bag for weight so i can throw my rope bag over the tree branch. Take the other end of the 550 cord and attach the D-ring which is attach to the food bag. Once the food bag is attach I like to use the Pacific Crest Trail method (PCT method) because it is fast and easy to hang. Once the food bag is over the branch I use a stick or tent stake to secure the knot. I haven't nor have I had any problems with bear are critters on the "AT" for as food goes that I'm aware of. The only time I've had any animal trying to get in my food bag was for this test I'm doing now.

      IMAGE 4
      09/05/2010 - Hanging my Ursack Minor (IMAGE4) on the Appalachian trail (AT). The weather was awesome sunny, with a nice breezes blowing and the temperature was in the upper 70 F (21.11 C) and lows in the 50 F (10 C) at night. After I summit Max Patch 4629 ft (1411 m) I setup camp had some dinner (supper) then headed off Max Patch to the woods in search of a nice tree branch to hang my food bag. Once I picked the right tree out and hang my food bag using the PCT method it was time to head back up to camp for a good nights rest. If your camping on top of Max Patch you'll have to walk about 50 ft (15.24 m) - 100 ft (30.38 m) are more to hang your food bag.

      IMAGE 5
      04/09/2011 - In the picture (IMAGE5) is my Ursack Minor bag (hereafter referred to as the "food bag") attach to the picnic table for testing. I normally use the Pacific Crest Trail method (PCT method) to hang my food bag, but at the time I wanted to test my food bag. It was a very nice night for car camping on the Tennessee river in Pickwick, Tennesse. The weather was in the upper 65 F (18.33 C) lows in the 50 F (10 C), with a light wind blowing. Once, I was in bed I heard something outside my tent so I looked out and it was the biggest raccoon I have ever seen. After looking for my camera and light and making all that noise you would think the raccoon would have left. After taking pictures and video for about 15 - 20 minutes and trying three times to open the food bag he was done. What is funny the trash in the bag hanging up the raccoon never tough it for the two days we was their camping.

      Overall, I am very pleased with the Ursack Minor. I have seen a raccoon trying to gnaw their way in, but the Ursack was not compromised.
      The Ursack Minor was never penetrated by the raccoon.Thats what sole me on buying this food bag.

      *Keeps my food safe for critters(not bears)
      *weight isn't bad
      * It holds 6-7 days of food (if needed), store my cooking set.

      *The Ursack Minor is not waterproof,you will need to use a plastic liner, sil-nylon, or other method to keep your food dry.
      * Some National Park Service want let you use the Ursack Minor so check the regulations in your area.

      Charles Nichols

      Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic