79617EDIT: OWNER REVIEW -- EGear Dynamo 15-LED Lantern

  • Edward
    Oct 10 10:00 AM
      Dear Jim,

      I will be your editor on this, your first BGT Owner Review. Please see below.

      Senior Edit Moderator

      > OR

      > September 13, 2010
      > NAME: Jim Verzuh
      > EMAIL: jimverzuh@...
      > AGE: 41
      > LOCATION: Bozeman, MT
      > GENDER: M
      > HEIGHT: 6' 5" (1.96 m)
      > WEIGHT: 210 lb (95.30 kg)
      > I have been backpacking since age 10; most of my trips are for the weekend with an occasional trip for five days. I value quality products that make my pack lighter and trip more enjoyable. I also use my backpacking gear for back country fishing and snowboarding.
      > Manufacturer: Essential Gear
      > Year of Manufacture: 2009
      > Manufacturer's Website: www.essentialgear.com
      > MSRP: US$34.99
      > Listed Weight: 1.3b (.60 kg)
      > Other details:
      > Dimensions: 4.5" x 9" (open), 4.5" x 6.1" (packed)
      > Weight: 1.3 lb.

      ### EDIT: Please offer metric conversions for dimensions and weight. All BGT reviews give all basic dimensions and measurements (including elevations and distances) in both imperial and metric measure.

      > Uses 15 ultra bright LEDs
      > Runs on rechargeable NiMh battery
      > Powered by hand crank, rechargeable battery, cigarette lighter, or 12V AC/DC adapter
      > Power output: 400mA 9V
      > Two lighting modes: 9 LED or 15 LED
      > Pack away design for compact storage
      > Cell phone charger adaptor kit included
      > FIELD USE
      > I have used this lantern on 10 camping trips/field outings since purchasing in May 2010.

      ### EDIT: The Field Use section should incorporate information on the environments in which the gear was used, the temperature ranges and weather condition, the elevations, etc. This is important, as the reader needs to know under what circumstances the lantern was used. In part this is so they can compare your use with their own. Also, an account of conditions helps provide a sense of potential limitations to the review; for example, does the lantern work well in torrential rain, if you experienced that? If it does, this gives information on water resistance. The more information, the better (within readson--it doesn't have to be an essay).

      > SUMMARY

      ### EDIT: The Summary is usually exactly that, a brief statement summarizing the findings of the review. Ideally, you should have sections for product information (that you have provided above), product description (a more detailed analysys of the construction and features of the item), field use (addressed above), observations on how the item operates in the field, and finally a section of likes and dislikes, or a formal summary.

      The issue is that the paragraphs below just don't provide enough product description, nor enough observation of how you found the lantern's operability in the field. Please take a careful look at some of the Owner Reviews by (say) Pam Wyant, Ray Estrella, Roger Caffin or (for that matter) by myself. These will give you a good sense of what's needed.

      We do have a mentoring program, and having looked this over, I feel you would find BGT easier with some assistance (most folks new to BGT do have some mentoring). As an editor, I am able to mentor to only a limited extent. Still, if you want to correct the faults I've addressed and come up with a fleshed out version that addresses my concerns, great. However, mentoring is usually very helpful; please consider contacting

      Jenn will hook you up with a mentor (an experienced report writer)who will help you with the process and you can then resubmit the Owner Review.

      > The lantern arrived in a small box with all of the components. It needed to be charged before it would illuminate. Using the included cigarette lighter, it had enough charge to illuminate the lantern in about 20 minutes of charging. It takes three hours of charging for a full charge of the battery. At 15 LED, the battery lasts three hours. It provides good light for cooking, but does not light up the whole camp. It provides great light inside the tent and small campers.
      > The lantern includes a crank that can be used to charge the battery in case one does not have a power source. One minute of cranking results in 5+ minutes of illumination. The lantern also came with an adaptor cord that allows a cell phone car charger to be plugged into the lantern, so that one may use the crank to charge a cell phone battery in case of an emergency. I have not tested this feature, but the manufacture says it takes three minutes to charge a dead cell phone battery for 3 minutes of talk time.
      > It is much smaller than a traditional camping lantern and when not in use, compacts down to nearly half of its height.
      > It is easy to charge in the car on the way to camping for three hours of light in the evening.
      > It provides surprisingly good light for a rechargeable electric lantern.
      > One lantern alone will not light up a camp like a traditional gas lantern.
      > Jim Verzuh
      > Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic