79483OR - Light My Fire Spork - Derek

  • Derek Hansen
    Sep 7, 2010
      Good evening!

      Here is my Owner Review for the ubiquitous Light My Fire Spork.

      > http://tiny.cc/spork-or

      Thank you for your edits!

      Best,

      ~derek

      # # #

      Light My Fire Spork
      Owner Review by Derek Hansen
      DATE: September 8, 2010
      Spork

      Photo courtesy LightMyFire.com
      TESTER INFORMATION
      Me
      Name Derek Hansen
      Age 34
      Gender Male
      Height 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight 165 lb (75 kg)
      Email Address derek.daught.hansen.at.mac (without cheese).dot.kahm
      City, State, Country Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical weekend pack weight of 15
      lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg), which includes food
      and water. Because I pack less than 20 lb (9 kg), I prefer lightweight
      trail-running shoes. I prefer backpacking with a hammock as part of my
      sleep system.
      PRODUCT INFORMATION
      Manufacturer Industrial Revolution, Inc., (Redmond, Washington, USA)
      Year of Manufacture 2010, made in Sweden
      Manufacturer's Website lightmyfire.com
      MSRP N/A
      Size Regular
      Color Available in 19 colors
      Listed Weight 0.3 oz (8 g)
      Measured Weight 0.35 oz (10 g)
      Listed Features "The Spork is perfect for your backpack, boat, picnic
      basket, lunchbox, purse or briefcase." Machine washable; "Heat
      resistant material - doesn't melt in hot/boiling water"; "won't
      scratch non-stick cookware, Teflon-friendly"; Machine washable;
      extremely durable; available in PC or BPA free Tritan plastic.
      Warranty Not listed
      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Light My Fire Spork is an eating utensil with a spoon on one end
      and fork on the other. On the fork end, one prong edge is serrated.
      The spork has a generally curved line making a sort of "lazy S" shape.
      Although the company does sell a left-handed version, the spork is
      easily used in either hand.

      The spork comes in a variety of colors in plastic, and as of this
      writing, also comes in Titanium metal.

      The spork is only slightly flexible in the middle.
      FIELD USE CONDITIONS

      I have purchased nearly a dozen of these sporks over the years and
      have used them on more than 12 backpacking trips. I continue to use
      them on family car camping outings. Many of my trips were done in
      northern Virginia, but my most recent trips have been done in
      Flagstaff, Arizona at an elevation of 7000 ft (2133 m).

      I have used the spork as my primary cooking and eating utensil on my
      backpacking trips. I typically store the spork along with my stove and
      cooking pot in a minimalist set where the pot doubled as my eating
      bowl for one-pot meals. A majority of the meals I used with the spork
      were boil-in-a-bag type, which used minimal cooking but some stirring
      with the spork.
      FIELD USE RESULTS

      My first few trips with the spork were very successful. In these
      trips, I mostly cooked boil-in-a-bag meals and used the spork
      primarily to eat. The spork was adequate for small 32 oz (1 L) zip-top
      bags, but I found the utensil a bit short for deeper bags and my
      fingers often got messy from rubbing the inside of the freezer bag to
      scrape out my meal.

      These initial trips were enough to convince me to supply my family
      with more sporks so I invested in about a dozen in different colors.
      My kids really liked them and the sporks found their way into
      emergency kits and our family car camping kit.
      Melted spork

      On my later trips, I began using the spork to cook meals, which
      included stirring and scraping over a hot stove. On a few of these
      trips I have succeeded in melting the fork end after continued contact
      with the hot pot. In one case, I even broke prongs off the fork and
      ended up carving down the spork in the field to be at least usable as
      a spoon.
      Busted Spork

      I have subsequently broken a few sporks in the middle while scraping
      food and eating meals. After breaking a few of these sporks in the
      field and having only a stub to work with has been frustrating.
      SUMMARY

      The plastic sporks are fun, but I find them a bit short to eat most
      boil-in-a-bag meals. The utinsil is not indestructible, unfortunately,
      and I've broken a few in my backpacking trips while eating and
      cooking, not to mention melting a few while stirring food.

      PRO--Lightweight. Variety of colors. Smooth feel to eat with.

      CON--Fairly easy to break or melt.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic