7858Re: [BackpackGearTest] Re: Owner Review #1 Patagonia SW base layer bottoms

  • Asyndeton Canaan Dogs
    Feb 1, 2002
      Patagonia Women's Capilene® SilkWeight Bottoms

      Capilene Silkweight is marketed by Patagonia as being their
      fastest-wicking, fastest-drying and
      sleekest base layer, providing thermal regulation in sun and wind.
      Layer under endurance shells in cool
      or cold weather.

      3.5-oz. Capilene microdenier polyester.

      128 g. (4.5 oz.).
      Gusseted Crotch.
      Size large
      Color black

      Made in (approx.) 1999

      When I picked these bottoms out, I originally didn't have
      hiking/backpacking in mind as I am a cold
      weather weenie. I bought them for agility trialing, plus any other
      outdoor sports I desired to do. I was
      looking for a close fitting base layer that would stay put during
      any bursts of activity, and would wick
      sweat and dry quickly. I normally wouldn't buy an artificial fabric
      to wear, but I seem to be
      constrained by being generally poor, punctuated by moments of
      abject poverty, I was a little strapped
      for cash, and in a hurry as well, so I went with these.

      Two things I noted right off... The Large aren't long enough for my
      5'10" women's legs, so there is a
      gap of about 2" from my ankles, which I despise; and there is no
      elastic at the bottom to keep them in
      place, just self fabric hems. The XL are far too baggy to be a good
      layering candidate for me. Despite
      the ankle gap they are quite comfortable, especially with long
      socks, unless you are doing any sort of
      climbing, including stairs. At this point, the bottom of the legs
      started to creep up my calves a bit,
      giving about a 3.5" gap at my ankles.

      I have had the opportunity to wear them in a variety of conditions,
      for my area (Memphis, TN). I
      worn them hiking through Shelby Forest (moderately hilly), as well
      as along a bit of Natchez Trace.
      Additionally I have worn them on some rather cold days (for the
      Mid-South) where my activity was
      limited. If you are active, and have some manner to keep the ankles
      down, or aren't doing much
      knee-lifting climbing, they will do fine in moderately cool-cold
      weather, say somewhere in the range of
      40-30 degrees, if you tolerate cold weather better than I do, you
      could probably go a bit colder.
      Standing around, however, they were only slightly better than being
      naked, okay, quite a bit better
      than being naked, but not amazingly better than the jeans I was
      wearing over them. It was 45 degrees,
      no sun and fairly windy. I have been caught in the rain with them,
      and they do dry quickly. They are
      also quite comfortable to wear in moderate weather, as they do wick
      sweat, and stay comfortable
      while running. They are also not bad when the weather could cover a
      wide range of temps, as
      Memphis is prone to do. They have been comfortable up to about 60
      degrees, being about as warm as
      I could stand with them on.

      They say that you can wear them alone, and comfort wise I think you
      could, but they are VERY form
      fitting, and I don't care for that kind of exposure.

      All in all, I do like having them, and they have held up to quite a
      bit of wear without pilling, they still
      look pretty good, and if they were just a bit longer, I'd say for
      moderately cool/cold weather, they are
      a good product.

      Contact info: http://www.patagonia.com/

      My Specs:

      Kelly Riggs, 31, 5'10", 150#, female, reside in Memphis, TN, Novice
      hiker, Novice backpacker,
      occasional runner, agility, herding, and other assorted dog sport
      participant.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic