782Re: [BackpackGearTest] Light Weight Crampons

  • Michael Tocci
    Feb 5, 2001
      Jerry..I couldn't agree more...we have been getting some snow up here the past few days...and forecast is for an additional foot or more tonight!  Yeah...but how it will be in 7 weeks is anyones guess...one of the nice things about the weather in the daks is that if you don't like it...stick around it will be different in a few minutes!!--Original Message-----
      From: Mara Factor <m_factor@...>
      To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com <BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Monday, February 05, 2001 11:36 AM
      Subject: Re: [BackpackGearTest] Light Weight Crampons

      Hi Jerry,

      I would definitely like to be considered for the Kahtoola test.  At a
      minimum, I would be able to do some testing in the White Mountains in patchy
      snow and ice.  I could seek out hikes to higher elevations to give myself
      maximum testing time for the crampons.  Given the Kahtoola website however,
      I'm sure their ideal testers should be able to put them on and wear them all
      day.  I doubt those conditions will exist in the Whites.

      I would suggest you wait until mid to late March to make a final
      determination about testers in the northeast.  By then, we should have a
      better idea of the conditions here in the Whites, the ADKs, and anywhere
      else in the northeast people might be able to try them.  With any luck,
      we'll have some late season snows followed by freezing rain and a cold snap.
        :-)

      For myself, though I may not be able to find a day long hike to wear them
      on, I could probably play around with them and try them on a variety of
      footwear, from trail shoes, to Limmers, to Sorels.  I wear a men's 12 (or
      women's 13).  While they are not supposed to be an equivalent tool, I would
      also compare them with my full 12 point hinged adjustable crampons to help
      others understand both the similarities and differences.

      Thanks for your consideration,

      Mara Factor
      AT99, NH4000'ers

      <cmtocci@...>