77111REPOST: OR - Yukon Boots - Istvan Hernadi

  • istvan
    Feb 1, 2009
      Thanks Roger for the edits,
      here is the repost and upload to test folder:

      Please have a look.

      Yukon Boots
      By Istvan Hernadi
      January 30, 2009

      NAME: Istvan Hernadi
      EMAIL: ih42ca AT yahoo(dot)com
      AGE: 61
      LOCATION: Kimberley, BC
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 160 lb (72.60 kg)

      I am a long time outdoor activities enthusiast. I started hiking in
      the hills of Hungary at an early age. When I moved to Canada, I became
      fascinated by the Rocky Mountains in Alberta. Soon I joined the Alpine
      Club and became an avid climber, skier and backpacker.
      My activities also included marathon running, biking, camping and
      alpine climbing. Now I live in Kimberley in the Purcell mountains,
      with great places for bike riding, trail running and back-country
      skiing. My summers are spent in the Yukon where I pursue multi-day
      trips to the mountains and rivers.

      Manufacturer: Charlie Van Gorkom Boots
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website:
      MSRP: US$500
      Listed Weight: 56 oz (1600 g) / pair
      Measured Weight: 56 oz (1600 g) / pair
      Other details:
      Material: handmade of full grain leather, waxed and oiled
      Sole: insulating foam neoprene sole
      Insulation: felt lining
      Temperature Rating: -40 F (-40 C)
      These boots are made to order from leather that is soft, forgiving,
      and they are lined with felt.

      From the manufacturer's website:
      The felt liner is of the latest warmth technology using poly fibers of
      a diameter to trap and reflect the foot's natural infrared. Van Gorkom
      Felt lined all weather Yukon Boots have:
      77% white polypropylene
      18% wool
      5% miscellaneous fibers, bonded to a polyethylene metalized film

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Yukon boots" IMAGE CAPTION = "Yukon

      The majority of my hiking and backpacking trips were taken in
      northwestern BC, Canada. The terrain included hilly boreal forests,
      mountain trails and lake shores. Elevations ranged from 3,600 ft
      (1,100m) to 7,600 ft (2,300 m ) and temperatures ranged from 28 F (-2
      C) to approximately -10 F (-23 C) during the winter months. I have
      used the boots successfully for backpacking, day hiking, walking to
      the local stores and in combination with snowshoes. I have worn these
      boots for about 15 days for an average of 3 - 4 hours each time.

      They have been extremely versatile boots. When using them with
      snowshoes I usually cover about 10 miles (16 kilometers) on the trails
      in the Kimberley Nature Park in BC. If the trails have packed snow or
      ice, then I slip a pair of spiky polarcleats over the boots for good
      traction and leave the snowshoes at home. They are so easy to wear. I
      just insert my feet into the boots, use the velcro strap to tighten,
      adjust the laces and tie a knot on each boot.

      Unlike many other winter boots, Van Gorkom felt lined boots are not
      made of rubber. Rubber boots can trap moisture from sweaty feet. In
      cold temperatures condensation freezes, leading to ice encased feet.
      The quality leather used in the manufacturing allowed moisture to
      evaporate during my hikes, keeping me warm and dry. And they kept my
      feet very comfortable when I stopped to set up camp.

      Leather takes constant care, and after a few outings, they needed to
      be waxed again to be waterproof and supple, using a wax rather than
      any oil based product. Sno-seal or one of the Nik-wax products work
      well as they are bee's wax based.

      These boots are my constant companions for long walks in the snow as
      they are made of soft leather and feel just like moccasins. They are
      14 inches (35 cm) high, so they keep out the snow even as I walk in
      some deep fluffy stuff. Everyone I meet remarks on the workmanship,
      noticing the soft leather and unusual handcrafted style.

      While the Yukon boots look large, they are actually lightweight, each
      one weighs 1 pound 12 ounces (800 grams), much less than most hiking
      boots, making it less effort to make trails in the fresh snow. They
      are handmade of full grain leather and are waxed and oiled for water
      repellency. They are highly flexible and include a removable felt
      liner, to insulate well even at -40 degrees. The soles are a Vibram
      sole with good traction on the snowy trails.

      I am very happy with these boots as they allow me to participate in
      winter outdoor activities regardless of the temperature or amount of
      snow on the ground. The boots are comfortable for walking in deep
      snow. They are easy to use on icy surfaces when I wear polar cleats
      over the sole. And the boots are perfect to use with snowshoes on long
      trail hikes into the bush and on mountain excursions.
      The boots are versatile enough to be used in the city, commuting,
      shoveling snow, working around a cabin, while sitting in camp, or
      going dogsledding.
      They are not made for technical mountaineering or rock climbing, as
      they are not stiff enough for use with crampons, but they will work
      well in all other cases.
      These boots can be repaired and re-soled to give me years of trouble
      free usage.

      They are very warm, 14 inches (35 cm) high and very comfortable. My
      feet don't get cold or wet, and the snow never gets inside the boots
      unless I try to walk into deep snowdrifts. They are waterproof and
      protect me well from the cold and snow, while being lighter in weight
      than other winter boots.

      The fit is a little large, I need to wear 2 sets of thick socks for a
      snug fit. The laces and velcro straps are very long, I need to trim
      those a bit.

      Istvan Hernadi

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.