76699APPROVAL: REPOST: OWNER REVIEW - Kelty Gunnison 2 Tent

  • André Corterier
    Nov 3, 2008
      Dear John ...

      ;-)

      Nice piece of work. I am approving your report, even though it's
      posted here without pictures and you didn't include a shortlink to
      the posted html version.

      I'm doing that because you've posted an HTML version earlier, I'm
      confident you can do it, you already had 15 pics in it (in good
      format, too) and aren't required to have a pic in your first Owner
      Review anyway.

      Any, I'm going on a business trip *again*.

      So, go ahead and upload to the folder here: http://tinyurl.com/68ws7c

      Please remember to tag it as an "Owner Review" when uploading (though
      that should be the default setting), to make sure you've changed
      the "ALT" tag on the one picture I remarked on in your first Edit,
      and to delete the test folder version (if any) when done.

      Congratulations, and welcome - again - to BackpackGearTest.org!

      On your second OR, please also remember to post the text version
      along with a shortlink to an uploaded html version in the test
      folder. Other Editors may be less lenient than I regarding this
      requirement.

      Good job, though. Hope to see you around more.

      André
      OR Editor

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "johnschlafer"
      <johnschlafer@...> wrote:

> [...]
      in use

      > The fly has two plastic windows, one on each end of the tent.
      >
      > Tent with the fly on from an angle Tent with the fly on from the
      short
      > side
      >
      > It also has two small vents, one on each side of the tent. The vents
      > open and close with a zipper. The vents have a small, thin,
      > permanently-installed, flexible pole above them , which supports a
      > small flap. The pole and flap combination is designed to allow the
      > vents to stay open in the rain. The fly has 8 stake points. 6 of
      these
      > are for guy lines—one in each corner and two on the ends. The
      > vestibule is created by staking the fly out away from the tent with
      > single stake on each side. The stake loop is a long piece of webbing
      > looped through a plastic slide. The long webbing and plastic slide
      are
      > designed to allow you to stake the fly where convenient and then
      pull
      > the fly taught. The vestibule closes with a zipper and hook and loop
      > closures. The zipper ends approximately 2 in (5 cm) before the
      bottom,
      > which is finally closed with a snap.
      >
      > Tent with the fly on from the long side showing the fly vent from a
      > distance
      >
      > Close-up of the stake strap for the fly that creates the vestibule
      and
      > the strap's adjustable slide Close-up of the bottom of the fly
      zipper
      > with snap
      >
      > When the vestibule is opened, one side rolls back and is held back
      by
      > a small clip. The tent doors have dual zippers. Inside the tent are
      > two mesh pockets. Additionally, the tent comes with a small mesh
      > hammock (.65 oz (19 g)) that ties into the top of the inside for
      > storage. There is also a hook at the top center to hang a light. The
      > floor of the tent comes pre-seam-sealed with tape.
      >
      > The fly with the vestibule door open The hammock tied up inside the
      > tent with an iPhone in it for perspective
      >
      > The tent comes with 12 straight peg stakes. The stakes are 8 in (20
      > cm) long and weigh .55 oz (17 g) each. The tent also comes with 6
      guy
      > lines. The guy lines are made of black nylon and have small plastic
      > sliding clips The guy lines are 6 feet (1.8 meters) long and
      weigh .2
      > oz (6 g) each. The tent comes with three stuff sacks: one large that
      > will hold all of the tent items, one for the poles, and one the
      holds
      > the stakes, guy lines, and mesh hammock.
      >
      > Tent stake
      >

      > Field Information:
      >

      > I've used the Gunnison 2 for two three-day, two-night trips in
      > Southern Indiana and a 16 day, 200 mile (322 km) hike of the
      > Appalachian Trail. On both hikes, I shared the tent with my wife.
      The
> [...]
      > is no room to spare side to side. There is a few inches (6 cm) of
      room
      > above our heads or below our feet (depending on how we lay) to
      store a
      > few things. We are able to change when we are both in the tent, but
      > only one at a time. There is also only room for one of us to sit up
      at
      > a time because the ceiling slopes. The vestibule is plenty large to
      > store all our gear. Our packs, boots, hiking poles, and anything
      else
      > we want to keep under the vestibule fits well.
      >

      > The plastic windows are nice. They have not yellowed, and I really
      > appreciate the light they let in in the evenings and the mornings.
      > However, I don't know if they are worth the weight.
      >

      > The mesh hammock works well. It stores a lot for what it is. Because
      > it ties on to loops that are sewn on at the same spot as hooks that
      > connect to the poles, it held more weight than I initially expected
      > without causing the tent to sag. (The most I have had in it is two
      > pairs of wet medium weight smart wool socks, a 250 page paperback
      > book, an ipod nano, two headlamps, and a small plastic watch face.)
      > The hammock does reduce the headspace, but because it sits only in
      the
      > highest part of the dome of the tent and does not sag much, it has
      not
      > gotten in my way.
      >

      > The bottom of the tent is sturdy. I have never used a ground cloth,
      > and while I pick my camping spots carefully, I have had no problems
      > with the bottom tearing or getting small holes.
      >

      > There are a few obnoxious things about the tent. The small straps
      that
      > hold the fly and door open are not very effective. The straps are
      > placed low on the tent, and the fly and the door almost always come
      > loose. The straps themselves hold fine, but the placement of the
      > straps allows the fly and door to slip out with the slightest
      breeze.

      > Perhaps the most obnoxious thing about the tent is the snap at the
      > bottom of the fly. Because it is so far out, it is difficult to
      reach.
      > Even being 6 ft 3 in (1.9 m), I have to almost lay my torso on the
      > ground to reach the snap and close it. This is a particular problem
      > when it is raining, because I get muddy.

      > Overall this is a great tent. I would recommend it to anyone who is
      > looking for a good tent for not too much money that will actually
      hold
      > 2 large adults.
      >

      > Good:
      >
      > Price
      >
      > 2 large vestibules
      >
      > Great ventilation
      >
      > Easy Setup
      >

      > Bad:
      >
      > Hard to snap vestibule closed from inside the tent
      >
      > Could lose weight without adding cost
      >
      > Bad design of small rods holding open vent flaps

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic