76692EDIT: OR: Tarptent Squall 2 - Brad Banker

  • Hollis Easter
    Oct 31 4:28 PM
      Hi Brad,

      Thank you for your Owner Review! Here are your edits for the Tarptent Squall 2.
      They follow the usual conventions for BGT edits:
      EDIT: You must change this.
      Edit: You should change this, or explain why not.
      Comment: Just something to think about.

      When you've made the edits, please REPOST them to this list so I can take
      another look at them.

      Looking beyond your REPOST, I won't be able to approve your report until
      I've seen your HTML. Since you're using BGT Report Generator, it should
      be fairly easy to upload it to the test folder on BackpackGearTest.org.
      If you upload it before you do your REPOST, please include the URL for
      your review.

      It's good to get into the habit of uploading your HTML at the same time
      as submitting your OR on the mailing list. Once you're a tester, your
      gear reports will not be accepted unless you post the HTML concurrently.

      Thanks for your hard work!

      BGT Editor

      > OR

      EDIT: Please spell out "OWNER REVIEW" instead of "OR", unless the Report
      Generator did that automatically.

      > regularly backpacked now for over 10 years. I backpack the mountains
      > of North Carolina and Virginia on 1-5 night solor or group trips,

      EDIT: solo (spelling)
      Comment: Nice bio!

      > (113 g ) and a Tyvek ground sheet that makes a grand total of 43 oz

      EDIT: (113 g) (no space)

      > Sleeps 2
      > Weight 34 oz (940 g) using trekking poles
      > Width 78/51 in (198/130 cm)
      > Length 94 in (239 cm)
      > Height 45 in (114 cm) adjustable
      > Floor Area 30-37 sq ft (2.8-3.4 sq m)
      > Beak Area 7 sq ft (0.65 sq m)
      > Stakes (included) 4
      > Packed size 20 x 4 in (51 x 10 cm)

      EDIT: Are these details your own measurements, or those provided by
      Henry Shires? If they're your own, please say so (e.g. "Measured
      Weight"). If not, please mark them as "Listed".

      > Hybrid bathtub floor — clip / unclip fl oor walls for splash, space,

      EDIT: floor (no space in the second one)

      > Dual trekking poles support; front poles available

      EDIT: What does this mean? Does that mean the Tarptent requires two
      trekking poles for support, but can also use additional poles?

      > Fast setup — 2 minutes from sack to pitched
      > Integrated line tighteners
      > Quick drying — inside and out in minutes
      > Small packed size — removable strut for stuffing
      > Catenary ridgelines for wind, sag, and storms
      > Reflective spectra cord guylines included

      EDIT: Spectra (capitalization)
      EDIT: This whole section sounds like it's taken from Tarptent
      promotional materials. If it is, that's fine; you'll see a lot of
      Veteran Testers doing the same thing.

      However, we need you to let the reader know whether these are the
      manufacturer's claims or your own. One way is to put "Product details from
      manufacturer's website:" at the top of the section.

      > My Tent History: Henry Shires, the originator and owner was very

      EDIT: the originator and owner, (add comma)

      > I did a fair
      > amount of shopping around while trying to convert from dragging my 7
      > lb (3 kg) old 2.5 person tent which was great for two although heavy
      > by today's standards, to a lighter weight 3 season option. I read a

      Edit: 2.5-person
      Edit: 3-season
      Edit: This is a bit unwieldy. How about "... convert from my old 7 lb (3
      kg) 2.5-person tent to a lighter 3-season option."?

      > questions and eventually decided on a single walled option. The
      Edit: single-walled

      > somewhat interchangibly because it is a Tarptent.

      EDIT: interchangeably

      > retriever. The temperature dipped to 16 F (-8.88 C). I was somewhat
      > ill prepared in that I was carrying my 20 F (-9 C) down bag which
      > sleeps like a 30 F (-1.10 C) bag. My dog had only a fleece blanket.
      > I was accustomed to the extra 5-10 F (3-6 C) of comfort that a double
      > wall tent gives. I was cold and my dog was shivering all night the
      > first night. I have since gotten a 0 F (-18 C) bag for colder
      > weather. The tent was pitched for medium ventilation and there was
      > minimal condensation in the morning. My dog was no worse for wear in
      > the morning. I have since used this tent for all different types of
      > weather from summer heat to winter cold in rain, sleet and 1.5 in
      > (3.81 cm) of snow without difficulty.

      EDIT: several unit conversion changes in here
      Edit: ill-prepared
      Edit: What makes you say that your bag sleeps like a lighter bag? Please
      explain. Do you mean that you feel cold even when the temperature is
      warmer than 20 F (-9 C)?
      Edit: double-wall
      Comment: poor doggy!

      EDIT: Later in the review, you mention having used the Squall 2 for more
      than two years, but the only conditions you describe are ones where the
      system didn't work terribly well.

      You talk about using it in all different types of weather: please give
      me a couple more examples. My experience of summer heat in northern New
      York is probably different from yours in North Carolina--help me
      understand what it means for you.

      > The Tarptent is a single walled design with a single curved pole that
      > is inserted into the rear part of the tent for a hoop style support.
      > The rear of the tent is anchored by an ingenious method of one
      > guyline loop across the back, and another with another line attached
      > to the primary line tied together. To erect the tent, anchor the
      > longer loop with the stake and pull the tent forward to create even
      > tension from back to front. There is a front guyline that is staked
      > to the ground to maintain tension in the front, and two guylines off
      > the front lateral corners that are staked into the ground as well.

      Edit: single-walled

      Comment: I'll need to see your photographs (in the HTML) before I'll be
      able to tell whether this paragraph makes sense to me.

      > You can follow <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE -
      > "http://www.tarptent.com/squall2.html" LINK TEXT = "this link">> to
      > see more pics on setup variations.

      EDIT: Two issues here. First off, don't say that I ("You") can do
      anything: that's projection. Just tell me what's there.

      Secondly, we don't include hyperlinks to other pages except to the
      manufacturer's top-level site (like you did above). How about "The
      Tarptent webpage shows several other ways to set up the Tarptent."?

      EDIT: courtesy (spelling)

      > I chose the standard option of a sewn in bathtub floor which is

      Edit: sewn-in

      > connected to the silnylon body of the tarp by a mesh netting. The

      Edit: by mesh netting

      > The front entrance is mesh with a zipper down the front and across
      > the bottom in an inverse T formation allowing you complete protection
      > from all pests of the flying and crawling variety.

      EDIT: Projection. It doesn't offer me complete protection, because I
      don't have a Tarptent (alas). How about "allowing me complete"?

      > There is also an non attached floor option and one may also purchase

      Edit: non-attached or detached

      > condensation due to the single wall design.
      Edit: single-wall

      > Per manufacturer recommendations and with my own personal experience,
      > it is best to pitch the tent with the low side into the wind, and
      > pitch the tarp as close to the ground as possible in colder or
      > windier weather to minimize the breeze, and pitch it up higher with
      > max ventilation for warmer weather, which is easy to do with a little
      > practice.

      Edit: This is a very long sentence. Could you break it into a paragraph?

      > grommets along the top bar of the tent with which to insert the
      > trekking pole ends, which allows both the two poles on the outsides,
      > or one pole in the center. I do notice a significant difference in

      EDIT: into which I insert
      EDIT: What about the grommets allows these different pole
      configurations? I'm confused, and I worry that the reader may be, too. I
      need something more here to help me understand, whether it be a
      photograph or a better description.

      > guyline can also be angled out to bias the room for entry on one side
      of the front of the tent.

      Edit: Maybe "to give more room for entry on one side of the tent"? I
      think I know what biasing the room for entry is, but I'm not sure
      readers will.

      > I am continually amazed the the light weight of this tent, even with

      EDIT: "by the" or "at the" (remove double the)

      > blessing. I am amazed at how much space there is in my small pack,

      Edit: how big is your small pack?

      > and this purchase has helped me get my base weight down to
      > approximately 19 lb (8.62 kg) for 3 days. It has become my favorite

      Comment: Nice! I bet that's a treat.

      > tent setup for solo trips. It would be my first choice for trips
      > with my wife, but for some reason, she does not really like the

      Comment: No accounting for taste, I guess.

      > tent. She prefers a two sided entry tent with double walls. I had

      EDIT: What is a two sided entry tent? Maybe "She prefers a tent with
      double walls and doors on each side"?

      > a ground sheet for the first few years, but started recently to
      > protect the floor. I have had no rips, tears of signs of abrasion on

      Edit: What made you start using a ground sheet? Could you tell us about
      that reason?

      > The zippers, velcro, slide locks, shock cords and guylines have worked
      > great and are all

      Edit: "velcro" is a questionable word here. If you're not sure that
      it's a Velcro-brand fastener, it's better to use something like
      "hook-and-loop closures" or something like that. I see from Henry's
      website that he uses "velcro", uncapitalized. If you want to keep it as
      Velcro, please capitalize it; otherwise, please change it to
      "hook-and-loop" closures or fasteners.

      > very lightweight. The guylines are all reflective which is great in
      > the dark with a headlamp on, especially with the beak line.

      Comment: This is really nice to know. Thank you for including it.

      > General observations: This is my first single wall tent, so getting
      > used to condensation in the main compartment was something to get
      > used to. The better I get with estimating ventilation needs, the

      EDIT: single-wall
      Edit: You needed to get used to getting used to condensation? How about
      "so I had to get used to having condensation in the main compartment"?

      Edit: Was there anything else about the Tarptent that you had to get
      used to? Does it have less internal space than your old 2.5-person tent
      did? If so, I'd enjoy hearing about it.

      > overcome the condensation problems associated with a single wall design

      Edit: single-wall

      > Very light weight option for 1-2 people.

      Edit: lightweight

      > Single wall design (in the summer.)
      > Single wall design (in the winter.)

      Edit: Single-wall

      Nice work on this, Brad. Quite a few edits here, but they should be
      fairly straightforward. As a reminder, I need to see a REPOST of these
      edits, and I'll also need to see your HTML file incorporating them.

      I enjoyed reading it! I looked into getting a Tarptent, and if it hadn't
      been for my conversion to the Hammocking Horde, I might well have bought

      BGT Editor