76589EDIT: OR MSR Simmerlite - Brad Banker

  • pamwyant
    Oct 15, 2008
      EDIT: OR MSR SIMMERLITE – Brad Banker

      Hi Brad,

      You have obviously put a lot of work and thought into this review.
      It's really good for a first attempt at an Owner Review. Here at
      BackpackGearTest.org we have developed some standards that we like to
      see reports meet, so you do have some work before the report is ready
      for final uploading. I'm here to help make sure your reviews meet
      those standards before we put it online for the whole world to read,
      which generally speaking is a good thing.

      We also have an editing convention. Although it may vary slightly by
      editor, it basically comes down to this:

      EDIT: this means a required edit as stated.
      Edit: You need to do some re-wording or explain why a change
      shouldn't be made
      Comment: Food for thought, or sometimes merely a comment on
      something that jumps out when we read your report.

      With that said, here are your edits:

      ### EDIT: We prefer that you put the type of gear in the title.
      I.E. MSR Simmerlite Stove

      BY BRAD BANKER
      OR
      ### Edit: This may be generated by the report writer, if so you can
      ignore this one, but we prefer that `owner review' be spelled out.

      October 04, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Brad Banker
      EMAIL: brad_banker@...
      AGE: 34
      LOCATION: Greensbro, NC

      ### EDIT: You missed an `o' in Greensboro

      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 240 lb (109.00 kg)

      I went on my first backpacking trip at 5 years old, and hiked quite a
      bit as a child. I picked it back up in my 20's, and have been
      regularly backpacking now for well over 10 years. I mostly backpack
      the mountains of NC and VA on 1-5 night trips from solo to groups of
      10 or, most of it on or around the AT.

      ### EDIT: I think you missed the word `more' (groups of 10 or more)

      I backpack in all seasons
      from >90 degrees F to 0 and below. My main hiking companions are my
      wife (when it's not too cold) and my two golden retrievers.

      ### Comment: The greater than symbol looks a little odd, especially
      since these types of symbols are often shown in replies, etc.
      Perhaps you'd just like to use the word `over' instead.

      ### EDIT: You need the metric conversions for your temperatures.
      Also, we generally do not use the word `degrees'. 90 F will
      suffice. The conversion tool here has some good information at the
      end on how we like to see abbreviations, etc. written out:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: MSR
      Year of Manufacture: 2004
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/simmerlite.asp
      MSRP: $99.95 US
      Listed Weight: 8.5 oz oz (240g)

      ### EDIT: remove extra `oz'

      Measured Weight: 10.1 oz (289 g) With stuff sack and repair kit.

      ### Edit: Your conversion is slightly off. 289 g would be 10.2 oz,
      or 10.1 oz is 286 g. Please fix appropriately. Also, the `w'
      in `with' should not be capitalized in this use.

      Other details: Comes with small wrench, o-ring and sealant. Make
      sure you let the stove cool fully before you place it in it's stuff
      sack, or the plastic bag which contains the repair kit will melt.

      ### EDIT: We try to avoid using the word `you' since it is what we
      call projection – concluding what others might do. Please re-word to
      make it from your point of view, or generic. I.E. `I make sure I
      let the stove cool…' OR `Make sure the stove is fully cool before
      placing it in…

      ### EDIT: Also, in this use `its' does not have an apostrophe.

      ### EDIT: We need a product description in your own words. What
      does the stove look like? How does it connect with the fuel tank?
      How tall is it? How wide? Where does the fuel line come in? How
      does it fold? Paint us a word picture of the stove as if you were
      trying to describe it to someone who had never seen one. Give us as
      many details as you can think of. If you get stuck, you can read a
      few recent owner reviews on stoves on BackpackGearTest.org to see the
      type of description we are looking for. Just be sure to use your own
      words when you are ready to write.

      FIELD USE

      Owner review after 4 dedicated years of use.
      I have experience using many types of stoves including the old
      Coleman Exponent Feather 442 Dual-Fuel Stove (which is not made of
      feathers at 1.8 oz empty,) MSR Whisperlite, homemade soda can
      denatured alcohol stoves, and isobutane canister stoves.
      I was looking for a go between for my very heavy, but bomb proof
      Coleman and my soda can stoves. I needed an option that allowed me
      to simmer if necessary, but afforded me the ability to melt snow for
      water - but of course at a lighter weight.

      ### EDIT: We don't mention other manufacturer products by name in
      comparison with items we are reviewing. It would be fine to state
      you have a heavier dual fuel stove, but do not state the name of the
      company/product of the Coleman stove.

      My prior experience with my old whisperlite years ago lead me to have
      realistic expectations about my simmerlite, as I knew what to expect
      with priming and cleaning using the Shaker Jet.

      ### EDIT: Capitalize both Whisperlite and Simmerlite. It is okay to
      use comparisons with the same manufacturers different product lines,
      so this is fine.

      My initial experience with priming and lighting the stove was a very
      large fireball on my back deck. The instructions read "Release only
      1/2 spoon full of fuel. Open pump control valve several turns and
      let fuel wet entire burner head. Immediately close pump control
      valve." The directions state that a small soccer ball sized flame is
      normal. It was much more than a soccer ball the first time. I found
      this harder than my old whisperlite in that the burner holes seemed
      to slope downward more, and the fuel spilled onto the ground easier.

      ### EDIT: Capitalize Whisperlite.

      ### Comment: my grammar check says a comma is not necessary after
      the words `downward more', but I'll leave that up to you as we try to
      avoid editing for commas.

      Once I practiced this 8-10 times, I got the hang of it, and was able
      to get a softball sized fireball upon ignition and just enough fuel
      to warm the burner, drop into the fuel catch cup below , prime the
      stove before opening the valve again to fire the burners.

      ### Edit: you need the word `and' in front of `prime the stove'.

      Simmering only took a few tries to master. I read many reviews
      myself before selecting this stove and read many complaints about not
      being able to get this stove to simmer, but I may have spent enough
      time futzing with my whisperlite (which is not supposed to be able to
      simmer, but it can somewhat if you play with it enough) and my not as
      light as a feather 442, that it was pretty easy.

      ### EDIT: Capitalize `Whisperlite'. Also, remove reference to the
      442 (you can say `dual fuel stove')

      I have used this stove in every weather from 95F to 0F and altitudes
      of around 6000 feet with great results. It folds up very nicely, and
      fits into my SnowPeak Trek1400 Titanium pot along with two lexan
      spoons very well.

      ### EDITS: Need temperature conversions, and capitalize `Lexan'.

      ### Comments: Can you give us any idea of the approximate number of
      uses? Have you used it with different pots?

      I do notice that there is a lot of soot under and on the stove after
      use, which I do not remember as much on my Whisperlite.
      For my cooking setup the pot support width is fine, but if you use a
      larger pot, such as a 4 quart pot with a wide base, you may have
      tipping problems if you are not on perfectly level ground.

      ### EDIT: Re-word to avoid using the word `you'.

      ### Comment: You might mention whether you have problems with the
      pots sliding or if there are grooves that help keep this from
      happening.

      I have both a 22oz and 11oz fuel bottle, but most commonly use the
      11oz bottle. It seems to be plenty for 2-4 people for 2-3 days,
      which are representative of most of my trips. I have found that if I
      use the supplied wind screen and heat reflector bottom (which add an
      extra 2 ounces to my previously mentioned weight) boil times in the
      field are around 3-4 minutes as advertised. Fuel consumption is on
      par with MSR's tables as well, but if you do need to cook multiple
      things at one meal, only priming the stove once and cooking
      everything at one time saves a considerable amount of fuel.

      ### EDIT: Re-word to avoid using the word `you'.

      SUMMARY

      This stove is my go to stove for high volume, multiple meal cooking,
      or any cold weather application. I still revert to my trusty old
      soda can stove for fair weather solo trips,and for warm weekends with
      just my wife I sometimes still use my isobutane PocketRocket stove.
      I would not hesitate to recommend or purchase the Simmerlite Stove
      again. Stove weight, efficiency, boil times, ease of use and
      reliability are on par with MSR's advertising and reputation.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Light weight for white gas stove.
      Relative ease of use if you are used to MSR's products.

      ### EDIT: re-word to avoid using `you'. Do you think that ease of
      use is different with MSR's products, or is it just the nature of a
      liquid fuel stove? You might consider re-wording to reflect that.

      Truley simmers when you need it if you practice.

      ### EDIT: Remove extra `e' in Truly, and re-word to remove `you'.

      Easy to clean and maintain with supplied parts and ShakerJet.

      ### EDIT: Please check and use the manufacturer term for `Shaker
      Jet'. You use it as two words earlier in the report, but as one
      here. Correct either here or above.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Lots of soot on the stove.
      Average pot support width.

      ### Comment: Is average width really a dislike? Wouldn't that be a
      trade-off with portability and ease of packing if it were wider?

      Can be difficult to learn to prime without a fireball and potentially
      loosing your eyebrows and hair.

      ### EDIT: spelling of `losing', and remove `you'.

      Can be difficult to learn to simmer, unless you practice.

      ### EDIT: Remove `you'

      **************************************** (end edits)
      Now, your next step is to make the necessary corrections, upload a
      test HTML version to the test folder on BackpackGearTest.org here:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/

      You will need to log in to be able to see the test folder and to
      upload.

      Once you have the test version uploaded to BackpackGearTest.org,
      please also post a revised text versions here with a link to the HTML
      version. Use the title "Repost: OR MSR Simmerlite – Brad Banker

      Thanks for your patience in this process. The first owner review
      often requires a few revisions, but your second should go a little
      faster as you learn the procedures and the standards we like to abide
      by.

      I look forward to your repost,

      Pam Wyant
      Owner Review Editor