75998Owner Review Maui Jim Malia Glasses Jenn E

  • JennE
    Jun 26, 2008
      Here is an OR for this month's BP.

      The HTML can be found here.

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%
      20Maui%20Jim%20Malia%20%20Jenn%20E/

      or

      http://tinyurl.com/3omebz

      Maui Jim Sunglasses - Malia

      Owner Review by Jennifer Estrella

      June 26, 2008

      Personal Information

      Name: Jennifer Estrella
      Age: 33
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
      Weight: 140 lb (64 kg)
      Email address: jennksnowy at yahoo dot com
      City, State, and Country: Orange County, California, United States

      After getting into the outdoors scene camping while 4-wheeling and
      day-hiking, I switched to backpacking in the early 2000's. I have
      backpacked extensively in Utah, Wyoming and Idaho along with
      California, Pennsylvania and Nevada. I have slowly been cutting my
      base weight to be able to go longer in both duration and distance. I
      have done so mainly by using better gear and dumping heavy luxuries.
      (I also married a sherpa to help.) I backpack year round in all
      weather, and usually take a free standing tent and a gas stove on
      all my trips. I love trying out new gear.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Maui Jim
      Web Site: www.mauijim.com
      Product: Malia H125-10
      Year Manufactured: 2007
      MSRP: $189.00 USD without prescription lenses
      Color Reviewed: Tortoise (available in Gloss Black)
      Lenses Reviewed: HCL Bronze, single vision prescription, ST Glass
      (available in Neutral Gray)
      Size: Eye size 54, Bridge 16, Temple 130, 6-base
      Face Shape: For oval, square, pear face shapes

      Weight Listed: None listed on website
      Actual Weight : 36 g ( 1.27 oz)

      Warranty: Maui Jim Sunglasses are warranted to the original
      purchaser for two years from the date of purchase against any defect
      in materials and workmanship. This warranty does not apply to normal
      wear, including lens scratching or accidental breakage.

      Product Description

      The Maui Jim Malia sunglasses are named after the Hawaiian word
      meaning rare. During the past 18 months I found it to be rare that I
      was not wearing my Malia sunglasses.

      The Malias are more appropriate for the female gender, according to
      Maui Jim's gender skew chart on the website. This model of
      sunglasses is suggested for oval, square, and pear face shapes. They
      are available in prescription strength through an optical dealer.
      When making my initial purchase of the Malia sunglasses I was
      provided with the option of glass or polycarbonate lenses. I chose
      the glass lenses since they have a reputation to prevent scratches.
      Even though they can shatter I did not anticipate that I would be
      wearing the glasses during activities in which this would be likely.
      My other Maui Jim sunglasses have the polycarbonate lenses.

      These sunglasses are available with Neutral Grey lenses which have
      the highest available light reduction. They are suitable for all
      light conditions especially bright, direct sunlight. The HCL Bronze
      lenses (the ones I am reviewing) are intended for low light
      conditions or for the wearer who like a subtle bronze hue for
      everyday wear. These lenses offer excellent contrast.

      The lenses have the Polarized Plus 2 Technology which offer
      protection from three types of glare (directed, reflected, and
      bounce back). They also have a polarization filter that blocks 99.9%
      of reflected glare, maximizing the available light. With the glare
      out of the way three earth elements boost color, increasing the
      amount and color the eyes naturally perceive. These elements are
      neodymium, erbium, and praseodymium. The lenses also manage blue
      light to prevent visual pollution and vision to be flat. The Malias
      lenses have a wide and large coverage area that I like. It prevents
      an abundance of light entering around the lenses.

      The Malias come in what appears to be a durable case. The initial
      case I owned with the glasses was a large hard clam shell case. I
      was sent a smaller hard clam shell type of case after the sunglasses
      were returned from Maui Jim for repairs that I will note later in
      this report. Both cases were lined with a soft suede-like material
      and had the Maui Jim name debossed on the top of the case and screen
      printed on the inside.

      The Malias have a nylon frame that is tumbled in teakwood and bamboo
      and is intended to be lightweight, durable, and easy to adjust. They
      also have adjustable metal core temples to create a personalized
      fit. The nickel/silver alloy hinges provide strength, easy movement,
      and are resistant to corrosion. The lens treatments and the frames
      are indicated as being saltwater safe. The spring hinges are
      intended to hug the head for lasting fit and comfort.

      The frames of the Malias that I purchased are the brown tortoise
      color. These frames are a tortoise design with some semi-
      transparency in which the darker and lighter colors of the tortoise
      design are seen. The Maui Jim name is in gold script letters on the
      temple sunglass arms and on one lens (the left when looking at them
      straight on). On the inside of the sunglass arms is the patent
      number, model number, and "Made in Italy" in white.

      Product Fit

      I have an oval face shape and I found that the Malias complement my
      facial features well. This is actually the main reason why I
      selected this model for my purchase. Initially when I purchased the
      glasses I had them fit by my optical store. It was easy to obtain a
      perfect fit. They had to do some modifications to slightly bend the
      frames and I believe this was done with heat. When wearing the
      glasses I do not get red marks on my nose or any irritation on my
      ears.

      Product Use

      Let me just say that I wear these sunglasses almost every day. I
      wear them for hiking, backpacking, driving, around town, to the
      beach, and on my daily walks. They are not worn while road biking,
      mountain biking, rock climbing, snowboarding, or skiing due to the
      possibility of shattering the glass lenses. During those activities
      I wear a discontinued model from Maui Jim that has polycarbonate
      lenses. Plus the prescriptions lenses are on the expensive side and
      I can not afford a new pair if they are broken due to my negligence.

      I have worn them all over the state of Utah (Zion National Park,
      Canyonlands National Park, Arches National Park, Moab, St. George).
      I have also worn them in Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone
      National Park in Wyoming. In California they were worn in the San
      Bernardino Wilderness, San Jacinto State Park, Newport and
      Huntington Beach. They have been worn traveling, on work
      assignments, and walks at local parks and around town in Florida,
      Kentucky, Washington, Tennessee and Wisconsin.

      The Malias have been worn in temperatures below freezing and above
      100 F (38 C). The elevation has ranged from sea level to over 11,000
      ft (3,353 m). They have been worn in rain, snow, fog, low light,
      cloudy conditions, dusk, and bright sunshine.

      Performance

      Well I must say that I love the optics in these sunglasses. Actually
      I love the optics in all the Maui Jim sunglasses that I own.
      However, I like the HCL bronze lenses the most for the light that I
      generally wear the Malias in. My eyes are very sensitive to light
      and I need a lens that eliminates harsh light and glare, I found
      what I needed with the Malias. They have proven to eliminate water,
      sand glare, and general day to day glare I encountered. I have hiked
      on snow while wearing these glasses and they do a pretty good job of
      eliminating the glare. They do not completely eliminate it on snow,
      but they do a good job. I have determined that I need a different
      lens color to be worn in the snow. I have worn them in dusk to dark
      conditions and I can still see. I also have a tendency to wear them
      indoors while shopping. They are just so comfortable for my eyes to
      look through. There is no distortion with the polarized lenses at
      all.

      I did notice that in cooler temperatures when I am breaking a sweat
      they do tend to fog up. I alleviate this by pulling them away from
      my eyes to let some air in to clear up the fog. The temple sunglass
      arms are on the wide side and they do at times obstruct my vision.
      It is minimal and I have adapted to the obstruction. I do not really
      notice any obstruction unless I am driving and I have to check my
      blind spot.

      There are no scratches on my glass lenses. The main reason why I
      purchased the glass lenses is that I figured I paid a pretty penny
      for the prescription lenses that I wanted them to last a very long
      time without scratches. However, I did break the lenses and it was
      my negligence. I tripped and fell on the sunglasses and the lenses
      cracked. I took them to my optical store that I frequently visit.
      They told me that the lenses should not have cracked the way that
      they did from the kind of impact I had. So they sent them off to
      Maui Jim and I got a new set of lenses free of charge. Maui Jim also
      fixed the frame that was severely bent. I was very surprised that
      Maui Jim replaced the lenses since I did fall on the glasses. The
      replacement lenses do not differ at all in the quality or the
      workmanship of the original pair that I purchased.

      The case is very durable. It has been sat on and dropped with no
      damage to the glasses contained inside the case. The case has a few
      nicks on it, but it is completely functional. I usually keep a
      cleaning cloth inside the case.

      I generally clean the sunglasses with the cleaning cloth or some
      lens cleaning solution. Basic sweat a light dirt is easily removed
      with the cleaning cloth.

      Things That Rock

      Exceptional optics with no distortion

      Excellent job of eliminating glare

      No blue light transmission

      No scratches on the glass lenses

      Maui Jim did an excellent job repairing the glasses

      Things That Are So So

      The cost of the prescription lenses double the MSRP of the regular
      glasses

      The frames and lenses are slightly heavier than my polycarbonate
      glasses

      Summary

      Hands down the optics in the Maui Jim Malias are exceptional. They
      are the best pair of polarized sunglasses I have ever owned. I wear
      them almost daily. Hopefully they will last me many years until I
      need a new set of prescription lenses.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic