75900Re: QUESTION: inclusion of comparison & cost info in test reports

  • pamwyant
    Jun 6, 2008
      Disclaimer: This is not an official opinion, just my own personal

      As you state, value is very subjective. What is a great value for
      one person may not be a good value for another, given different
      financial situations and even different amounts of time individuals
      are able to spend in the outdoors.

      What I would personally do is avoid referencing value. If you really
      felt something was an exceptional value, then it might be okay to say
      that, and say why you feel that way. I would really avoid saying
      something was not a good value for the money unless it fails or you
      have extensively used products that perform the same for the same
      price. Even then, I would recommend saying the product was not a
      good value for *you*, as the reviewer does in the case of the wipes.

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "amatbrewer"
      <amatbrewer@...> wrote:

      > I would like to see some clarification on this point. I have
      > hesitated referencing the overall value for the cost, but we do put
      > the MSRP in the report, and I personally think this is an important
      > piece of information to consider before purchasing any item (even
      > it is subjective). I can admit that I have purchased items that may
      > have not been the best quality, but I felt were a very good value
      > for the price. For example I once purchased a $35 bivi (no kidding)
      > with the intent that it only had to survive the one trip it was
      > purchased for. [As it turned out I used it a lot, and my kids still
      > use itÂ… > 6 years later!]
      > Dave
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic