75275EDIT: BLACK DIAMOND TRAIL TREKKING POLES - YI-JIEN HWA

  • Roger Caffin
    Mar 10, 2008
      EDIT: BLACK DIAMOND TRAIL TREKKING POLES - YI-JIEN HWA

      Hi Yi-Jien

      Welcome to BGT. This is a good start, and you are doing well. Welcome to the
      backpack fraternity.

      I have some edits for you to fix, and these are listed below. Please do not
      be offended by the terse manner used in spelling out the edits: that's just
      how I find it easiest to list them.

      Reposting
      When you have fixed these matters please REPOST the plain text of your OR
      here on this channel.
      At the same time would you please put the new HTML version in the Tests /
      Owner Reviews folder on BGT. Please include the URL for the HTML file in the
      Test folder with your first posting and all subsequent ones to make my life
      easier. It is now a requirement that we check the HTML version for various
      things like a clickable manufacturer's URL and some details of the layout
      before giving approval, and it is also a requirement that you provide the
      URL to help us Editors find your file. We are often editing several ORs at a
      time and are easily confused ...

      Edit Conventions
      Many Editors use the following convention in listing their edits and
      comments:
      EDIT: you must fix this to comply with BackpackGearTest standards,
      Edit: you should seriously consider fixing this in some way,
      Comment: usually just that, although you might want to make a change as a
      result.
      However, if you think I have got something wrong or that what I am
      criticising is actually a matter of personal writing style, feel free to say
      so. Personal style is accepted, as long as it is reasonably clear what you
      mean.

      Mentors
      If you are not sure exactly how to get going, we have an excellent Mentor
      program. It was established to help all newcomers through the somewhat
      confusing process of becoming gear testers, and to make sure they understand
      the 'rules'. Mentoring is also available for veteran testers who'd like to
      get some feedback on their test applications or test reports. Whatever stage
      you're at the Mentots are here to help. If you'd like a Mentor, please
      contact the Mentor Coordinator (mentor@...) and please
      include "Mentor Request" in your subject line.

      Rules and Regulations
      In addition, you must take some time out to read through our Documentation
      pages to understand just what we are about, and what rules there are for our
      operations. You be required to state that you have read these and will
      comply with them when you apply for a Test. These pages are found at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php. This is at least the
      second generation of our rules: they have evolved over time, but we try to
      keep them as simple and as plain as possible. If you find any problems with
      them, let us know.

      HTML Creation and Problems
      In some cases when editing the plain text of a review I find problems with
      the layout of the text version. This can happen when an HTML file is badly
      converted - possibly by Yahoo. If this seems to be a problem, you could
      consider trying one of the free HTML/text editors such as Note Tab Lite:
      this one has a good conversion tool built in for strippping out the html
      tags to create plain text. Some people who know nothing about HTML like the
      very point-and-click oriented NVU, although I don't. It mangles the
      underlying layout of text and HTML tags. Both can be found through Google.

      In other cases where there are serious HTML problems the source of the
      problems may be that you used MS Word to generate the HTML file. We have had
      extremely bad results from MS Word: in fact it has been responsible for most
      of the really bad layout problems I have ever seen. In particular it causes
      untold grief over the inclusion of pictures. Also, if you feed a cleaned-up
      HTML file through Word to fix just one small error, Word will usually
      completely rewrite the HTML into a ghastly mess. We strongly discourage you
      from using MS Word to create the HTML! However, if Word is all you have,
      please save the file as 'web page, filtered' rather than as 'web page' or
      XML. The filtering does help improve Word's efforts slightly. But our Report
      Writer is a better option.

      Uploading to BGT
      When uploading your Owner Review to the indicated folder, please ensure you
      select the button marked 'Owner Review'. If you require assistance with your
      upload, please ask in our Yahoo support group,
      BGTFileUploadHelp@yahoogroups.com. You can access this also via
      failure involves a comment about missing <alt> tags, and this is usually due
      to the use of MS Word.

      Tester Agreement
      Before you can become a Tester with BGT you must sign the Tester Agreement.
      Basically, this is an undertaking to play by the rules and complete any Test
      series, or to return the gear if you can't. Sometimes things happen, and if
      you let us know UP FRONT we will understand. We do put family needs first.
      The single most important thing here is to COMMUNICATE! The agreement can be
      found at:

      The signed agreement should be forwarded to Jim Hatch. For Jim's address see
      msg http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/message/67320

      If this is your second approved review and you have submitted a Tester
      Agreement which has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to participate
      in the testing process by applying for tests. Further details on this may be
      found at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

      Applying for Tests
      You will also need to join the Yahoo group where the Tests are announced:
      related to Tests and Testing takes place.

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      BGT OR Editor
      -------------------------------
      > I backpacked a few times in high school and college, but only got "into
      Comment: normally I would suggest that your bio contains too much of the
      future, rather than being based on where you are now. Howvere, as you are
      new to walking , fair enough.

      > I normally pack between 40-55 lbs (18-24 kg).
      Comment: Heavy!

      > * PRODUCT INFORMATION *
      EDIT: include length range here please

      > * INTRODUCTION AND PRODUCT DESCRIPTION *
      EDIT: this reads very well, but we would prefer you separated out the
      Product Description and kept it fairly technical. Feel free to wax poetic
      after that section :-)

      > However, there some egronomic and economic issues with this new passion.
      EDIT: ergonomic
      Comment: economic - yeah, sigh.

      > I started with 55lbs (25 kg) that trip; and by the end of the 2nd day,
      > my knees felt like a pair of rusty hinges from grandpa's shed. At the
      Comment: I suspect it was more likely the unaccustomed day-l;ong exercise
      rather than the load which your legs were feeling, but it reads very well
      :-)

      > They have basic, egronomic foam grips on the top of the poles,
      EDIT: ergonomic

      > Pictures
      Comment: while it is not a 'requirement', I reckon your pictures would be
      even more valuable if they had captions. I was left wondering what
      particular feature you wanted to highlight with each picture. Yes, there
      seems to be a caption in the plain text, but it does not appear in the HTML
      version.

      > steep slopes.The poles also come with
      EDIT: space after period

      > I'm not sure why they call the tips of the pole it a "Flex" Tip because
      EDIT: delete 'it' after pole

      > It's a matter of physics: While I could indeed use my poles at their
      EDIT: physics: while

      > but this is far too much work for Joe Schmoe
      > I-can't-decide-if-I'm-going-up-or-down trail. (And those Joe Schmoes of
      > the world are indeed many).
      EDIT: after some thought I feel that this section should come out. It is not
      about YOUR experiences, and we don't want to insult our readers ...

      > (Or perhaps BD might consider eliminating them altogether.
      EDIT: 'them' is plural, but the first part of the sentence is singular. Two
      places.

      > warranty--but at those prices , which are scarcely more than buying a
      EDIT: delete space before comma

      > new basket (US$ 6-8), and are less than what most manufacturers charge
      Edit: I think you could probably remove a few commas in the paragraph?

      > A bit of screwing with them gave me confidence that they
      EDIT: ah ... the term does have several meanings... and in this context is
      not very clear either. Can you improve?

      > and throws the occasional tantrum of running lava down her side, the
      > remainder of whose tantrums chewed them up better than Lassie could.
      EDIT: poetic, but the sentence bocomes awkward.

      > changeable, so, you can replace them when worn or swap the Long Flex
      > Tips for short ones if you like.
      EDIT: first person: change 'you' to 'I'

      > anything more than an irritation. At the the price point, especially if
      EDIT: At the the

      > - Extended grips that reduce your work for hilly terrain
      > - Cheap spare shafts will keep you in business till the grips go.
      > - Lack of shock-absorbency (you get what you pay for)
      EDIT: best to change the 'you' for something else - 'projection' etc.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic