      City, State, Country: Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
      Date: December 28, 2007
      Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking occasionally since I
      was about eleven. During the last two years I have been hiking and
      backpacking every chance I get. I hike about twice a month, and more
      on holidays. I usually go on short backpacking trips of about
      two/three days, but I would really like to stay out longer. I pack as
      light as possible, but I am not really a "lightweight" backpacker. I
      hike in Pisgah, Cherokee, Natahalah, and the Cumberlands, but mainly
      the Smokies. The Smokies are extremely wet and fairly rugged in
      places. Temperatures vary from 70 F (21.11 C) to some 0 F (0 C)
      nights.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Light My Fire
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Manufacturer's Website: www.lightmyfire.com
      MSRP: none listed
      Weight: 7 grams (0.25 oz.)
      Product Information: Avaliable in 15 colors, including metallic, the
      spork is a polycarbonate spoon-knife-fork combo.

      ( insert photo here, caption: "An
      army of sporks!" )

      FIELD LOCATION/REVIEW

      I have used this spork on multiple backpacking trips in a variety of
      temperatures. I have used it in Pisgah and in the Smokies, in rain,
      snow, and sunshine. It has been used with a stainless steel pot and a
      MSR Whisperlight white gas stove. I have also used it to eat lunch
      from a plastic container during school.
      This spork is lightweight, and sturdy. It is a useful length of 6.5
      in. (16.5 cm). I have used it for soup, pasta (of both the spaghetti
      and the shorter types), and to spread peanut butter and nutella. I
      have found that I use the spoon end most often. The spoon end is
      useful for soup and short pasta. The spoon is deep enough to hold a
      bite of soup without it falling out. The fork end can be used for
      spaghetti type pasta, though not as easily as regular silverware. The
      tines of the fork are somewhat short and stubby, but they are still
      able to pick up pieces of pasta. The knife is a serrated edge on the
      outside of the tine of the fork. The knife is not terribly useful for
      cutting tough objects because it is serrated. It can be used to cut
      bread, but it is rather short, only about 0.75 in (1.91 cm). It can
      also be used to cut small vegetables, such as carrots, though it is a
      challenge. I find it easier to just carry a pocket knife to do any
      cutting for my dinner. The knife can be used to spread peanute
      butter-like substances, and in this case it is very useful because it
      saves me having to clean gunk off of my pocket knife.
      I especially appreciate the ease with which the spork can be cleaned.
      The polycarbonate is smooth, and can be washed easily. I can even get
      spaghetti sauce off without effort, and it does not leave residue.
      The spork is very sturdy. I have not noticed any signs of wear. The
      spork appears to be in like new condition. It is flexible, and I can
      toss it in my backpack without fear of it breaking. The tines and
      knife are not very sharp, so I do not have to worry about it
      puncturing anything.

      THINGS I LIKE

      lightweight
      easy to clean
      sturdy
      flexible

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      knife is not especially effective for cutting

      SIGNATURE

      elizrd AT gmail.com
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic