74922APPLICATION TO TEST - GoLite Adrenaline 20 Degree Sleeping Bag - Jesse Fister

  • mako_tree
    Jan 6, 2008
      I hope that you will consider accepting my application to test the
      GoLite Adrenaline 20 Degree Sleeping Bag. I have read Chapter Five
      of the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide Bylaws, version 0609, and I
      will follow all requirements.

      Biographical Information

      Name: Jesse Fister
      Age: 20
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'11"
      Weight: 168
      Email Address: Mako_tree at Yahoo dot com
      City (or region), State, and Country (if outside the U.S.):
      Missoula, MT 59803
      Backpacking Background: I have been an hunter and a fisherman since
      youth. I currently study wilderness preparation and survival. I have
      backpacked all over Montana, including many beautiful high mountain
      lakes. I have also lived out of a backpack in Europe and parts of
      Brazil; including the Amazon. I enjoy lightweight backpacking in any
      environment and sometimes experience harsh survival situations with
      minimal gear.

      Field Information

      Background Information applicable to test: Recently I have been
      experimenting with wilderness survival shelters in the Rattlesnake
      Wilderness. I have been building a primitive shelter out of Douglas
      Fir boughs and insulating it with snow. Several nights ago I went
      to test this shelter. The temperature was +47F(8.3C) that day but
      dropped to somewhere just above freezing that night. I had nothing
      but two emergency blankets and a small fleece blanket. I did not
      have nearly enough ground insulation down and was forced to walk
      back 3 miles at 3AM because I was so cold and miserable. I would
      like to see if this sleeping bag is capable of making up for my
      insufficient shelter and keeping me warm through a colder night
      These are links to some pictures of the pictures which I took of
      that shelter:

      Location or locations where you propose to test the gear: I intend
      to test this gear in several locations. The first is the
      Rattlesnake Wilderness in Missoula, MT as mentioned. Temperatures
      in my region of the mountains of Montana can easily drop to -20F(-
      28.8C), and if I am feeling overwhelming alacrity I may give this a
      test with some other heat retention techniques. Currently,
      temperatures are in the high twenties to low thirties Fahrenheit (-
      3.8C to 1.6C). Additionally, temperatures above the freezing point
      often produce a wet environment which tests the bag when damp.
      I also hope to test it in my back yard. This is easy to do and
      allows me to perform many more tests than I would otherwise. I can
      try this on many nights and experiment with comfort in different
      precise temperature and weather variations, as well as with various
      types of clothing worn while in use.
      I also plan to test it in another primitive shelter which was built
      on the river bottom out of cottonwood and leaves.
      A few pictures of that and its construction are here:
      The construction:
      I feel that these would be excellent tests as they would demonstrate
      the bag being used with nothing else besides the clothes on the user
      with only the natural environment. It will test the bags true
      integrity at the claimed temperature as well as other temperatures
      potentially below and above its claimed 20F(-6.6C) rating.
      Other tests may be possible, and will be spontaneous if done, but
      are not planned.

      Description of location (elevation, terrain, etc.): Missoula's
      elevation is 3,200 ft (975 m) and is nestled directly in the Rocky
      Mountains. I have access to many wilderness areas in the area. We
      are considered a "High Desert" here based on the amount of total
      precipitation in the area. The area is highly conducive to a
      variety of pines, firs, and spruces. The river areas are prolific
      in willow, dogwood, and poplars.

      Typical weather conditions expected (temperature, precipitation,
      etc.): It is a heavy winter in Montana this year. We are getting a
      lot of snow for this time of year, and expect to have a good hard
      winter. The below link specifically addresses the Missoula area

      Style (lightweight, tent vs. tarp vs. hammock, etc.): These tests
      will likely all be without any modern materials aiding them. I may
      set up a tarp and a ground mat for the backyard exercises, but will
      use the primitive shelters for the other two tests.

      Test plan or strategy: For the Rattlesnake Wilderness test in the
      fir bough shelter, I plan to hike there during the day and lay some
      more insulation down than I had last time. I will make a fire at
      the entrance and then snuggle inside. I will possibly take a
      Nalgene filled with hot water inside the bag with me to help me stay
      For the Island bottom exercise I will likely take a nap inside it.
      If I am feeling up to it, I may go for a night in this one.
      For the backyard exercise I plan to set up a tarp to keep the snow
      off and a ground mat and then sleep in it several nights. If I am
      comfortable, I will sleep in it for several nights, or perhaps
      many. I prefer to sleep outside anyways. If I am uncomfortable
      after several nights in 20F(-6.6C) and above weather I will stop and
      conclude that the sleeping bag was not compatible for that
      temperature. I am very familiar with heat loss mechanisms and so
      will make sure to attribute my reasons for being too cold to
      whatever was truly responsible, because no cold weather sleeping bag
      will keep you warm if you do not know what you are doing.
      On the nights testing it in the backyard I intend to keep a specific
      log of temperatures at two or three points during the night. I will
      check the temperature at a specified time when I fall asleep
      (probably 10PM) and upon waking (likely 6AM). If I really like this
      sleeping bag, I will seriously consider ditching my bed for the
      duration of the test.
      I also plan to perform a careful and proper washing during the test
      period as well as care for storing the bag. Gear care is very
      important to me. I think that a good test is to wash the bag by
      hand at one point and then attempt sleeping in it again. I plan to
      store the bag hanging when not in use.
      I plan to inspect the weight and the size of the sleeping bag as
      well. I am very dedicated to lightweight gear, and will state my
      personal opinions on whether the bag was small enough and light
      enough per its temperature rating. A question that I intend to
      answer is: Is the bag worth the weight and the size for Montana
      For reports I plan to give test reports for the back yard testing by
      date like, "I slept on such-and-such a date and the temperatures
      were so-and-so and I was "so" comfortable."

      In addition: I am a first time tester. I promise however that you
      will be pleased to have chosen me for this test. I will give very
      informative reports with lots of detail and lots of test time. I
      will care for this piece of gear and make sure to provide you with
      information relevant to information which you consider important. I
      am very excited and investing myself into this product, especially
      since I own no other sleeping bag. It will be all I have to use
      anyways! My pictures will be good and my reports thorough.

      Previously Written Reports: I am a first time tester and am not
      currently testing or applying for any other piece of Gear.

      Owner Reviews:
      Anaconda 9 Tanto Point Knife - http://snipurl.com/1wrgi
      Gerber Diesel Multi-tool with Tool Kit - http://snipurl.com/1wrgk

      Thank you very much for your considerations,

      Jesse Fister