74754Repost: OR- EMS THUNDERHEAD JACKET- Evan Cook

  • evan.cook
    Dec 4, 2007
      I am reposting my owner review. Here is the link to the
      backpackgeartest.org OR Test site. http://tinyurl.com/yto75j

      EMS THUNDERHEAD RAIN JACKET
      BY EVAN COOK
      OR
      October 22, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Evan Cook
      EMAIL: evan.cook AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 20
      LOCATION: gunnison, colorado
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 145 lb (65.80 kg)
      ARM LENGTH 28 inches (72 cm)
      CHEST 33 inches (84 cm)

      Backpacking Background:
      I have been backpacking for about 5 years. My past experience with
      hiking has been in the Adirondack mountains and currently in the
      Colorado Rockies. I mostly go on weekend hikes with the occasional
      week long trip in the summer. The terrain I cover is mostly
      mountainous. I usually day hike with a light pack carrying rain gear,
      water and food. When I go on longer overnight to multiday trips I
      carry a pack weighing 35-60 lbs(16-27 kg)

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      PRODUCT INFORMATION
      Manufacturer: Eastern Mountain Sports
      Year of Manufacture: 2006
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.ems.com">>
      Model: Thunderhead Rain Jacket
      Fabric: EMS System Three
      Size: Small
      Available Sizes: s,m,l,xl
      Color: Russet
      Available Colors: Russet, Black, Orion, Vineyard
      -Made in China
      MSRP: $99.00
      Listed Weight: 12.1 oz (343 g) for a large.
      Measured Weight: 11.1oz (315g)

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1">> From EMS.com

      Product Description

      This is EMS's summer backpacking/casual use rain jacket. This jacket
      has two large side pockets that are great for storing extra energy
      bars or whatever else I may want. There are pitzips which are great
      for core venting when things heat up. The hood has two drawstrings
      which are great for adjusting the hood, which can be used with a
      helmet. The brim of the hood is a nice extra. It helps keep the rain
      off my face. This jacket can be stuffed into one of the side pockets
      which is a nice feature. All the seams are taped and the zippers have
      storm flaps. There is also a drawstring for the waist which helps
      keep the wind out.

      Size: I have a size small jacket and it fits snug. I can layer a
      midweight fleece under this jacket comfortably, but anything more than
      that is too much. My chest size is 33 inches (84 cm) and there is
      enough room in that area for movement. My arm length in 28 inches (72
      cm) and the sleeve length of the jacket is 34 inches (86 cm), so the
      sleeves are a bit long, but this just allows for a greater range of
      movement.
      Fabric Care: Machine wash cold, drip dry in shade. Low iron if needed.

      My Hiking/Camping Locations

      Colorado Rockies
      Mt. Elbert: I hiked Mt. Elbert with this jacket in May 07. The
      elevation ranged from 10,000 feet (3,048 m) to 14,433 feet (4,400 m).
      The temperature ranged from 20 F to 50 F (-7 C to 10 C). The winds
      gusted up to 20 mph (32 kilometers per hour). There was a rain snow
      mixture falling for about an hour. I was on the mountain for a day
      hike, and camped at the base for one night.

      Mt. Crested Butte: I hiked Mt. Crested Butte in September 07. The
      elevation ranged from 9,375 feet (2856 m) to 12,162 feet (3,707 m).
      The temperature ranged from 30 F (-1 C) to 60 F (16 C). There was
      about two hours of light rain followed by a strong thunderstorm with
      brief heavy rain. I was on this mountain for a day hike.

      Currently I do most of my hiking in the Gunnison Valley of
      Colorado. Here I do both day hikes and overnight trips.

      Utah
      Moab, Utah: I camped in and around Moab, UT for two weeks in May 07.
      The elevation was around 4,025 feet (1,227 m). The temperature
      ranged from 45 F (7 C) at night to 75 F (24 C) during the day. The
      average rain fall in Moab for May is .7 inch (1.8 cm).

      Field Use

      I have used this jacket many times hiking over the past year, but one
      of the most demanding was on Mt. Elbert in Colorado. The day started
      off with a wet rain/snow mix. I was hiking with a day pack on and
      traveling towards the summit. The light rain and snow lasted for
      about an hour. This jacket kept me bone dry. Then once we got above
      the tree line the wind began to pick up and the temperature dropped to
      about 20 F (-7 C). With this jacket on I only needed a light fleece
      on underneath to stay warm. This jacket blocked the wind and kept me
      warm and dry the whole time.

      On Mt. Crested Butte I hiked in a light rain for two hours. During
      this time I had my day pack on. The jacket kept me dry, but I had to
      open the pitzips because perspiration began to build up inside my
      jacket. Around the summit a thunderstorm moved in. This was a brief,
      but intense storm. The rain fell hard for about five minutes. The
      jacket performed very well. I cinched down the hood and kept on
      hiking. The brim of the hood kept the rain from dripping on my face,
      which is a nice feature. This jacket held up and kept me dry and warm
      the whole time.

      I also used this jacket when I camped in and around Moab, UT in May
      07. I kept this jacket in my daypack for thunderstorms. During at
      least 5 of the days a thunderstorm rolled through camp just before
      dark. The rain only lasted a few minutes and then passed. This
      jacket worked well at keeping me dry. Every time I put this jacket on
      during this trip I had the pitzips open. This allowed me to vent and
      keep as cool as I could with a jacket on.

      I used this jacket as a backup rain jacket on summer backpacking
      trips, as well as on some cold fall and spring days as a wind shell.
      I have been in some short bursts of rain, but no extended rain falls.
      For my use, this jacket has kept me warm and dry for the most part.
      The only thing I don't like is that if I wear this shell against my
      skin in warm weather, I get a clammy feeling. I believe this is
      because the jacket doesn't breath that well. To fix this problem I
      just open the pitzips. This seems to help control the climate inside
      the jacket and take away most of the clammy feeling.
      The durability of this jacket is great so far. I have owned this
      jacket since April 07' and hiked with it about 20-30 days. Since then
      I have climbed a few mountains in Colorado with it along with some
      multi day hiking trips. I also use this jacket for around town wear
      when it is raining out. Overall I haven't noticed any major wear on
      this jacket.

      Summary

      Overall this jacket performed well. It does what a $100 rain jacket
      should do. I was impressed with the durability of the fabric,
      especially in cold weather. I think this is a great recreational rain
      jacket.

      Things I Like

      This Jacket performed very well. One of the useful features are the
      pit zips to control the temperature. The waterproofing on this jacket
      does its job and keeps me dry. This jacket also packs down into its
      own pocket so it's easy to stow in my pack.

      Things I Don't Like

      The zippers on this jacket get snagged a lot and are light weight.
      They could stand to be a little more user friendly. Also, this jacket
      doesn't breathe very well. It doesn't take much activity to get that
      clammy feeling under the jacket, but that's why there are pitzips.

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.