74354OR - Light My Fire Spork - Original - Mike Curry

  • Mike C.
    Oct 3, 2007
      For this month's call, I humbly submit for your editing pleasure, my
      humble spork . . . and I agree with Ray . . . it can be hard to
      write about simple items, so I welcome any thoughts you have!

      Let's see, if I write one owner review a month, I could build a
      brownie point pyramid as big as Ray if I lived to be . . . yea,
      let's face it, medical technology can't extend my life THAT long!

      Oh, yea, and HTML is available at http://tinyurl.com/32ac33

      Mike C.

      LIGHT MY FIRE SPORK - ORIGINAL
      BY MIKE CURRY
      OR
      October 04, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mike Curry
      EMAIL: thefishguyAThotmailDOTcom
      AGE: 37
      LOCATION: Aberdeen, Washington
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 205 lb (93.00 kg)

      I've been backpacking, climbing, ski-packing, bushwhacking, and
      snowshoeing throughout the mountains of Oregon and Washington for
      the last 25 years. I'm an all-season, all terrain, off-trail kind
      of guy, but these days (having small kids) most of my trips run on
      the shorter side of things, and tend to be in the temperate
      rainforest. While I've carried packs (with winter climbing gear) in
      excess of 70 pounds (32 kilos), the older I get the more minimalist
      I become.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Light My Fire
      "http://www.lightmyfire.com" LINK TEXT = "www.lightmyfire.com">>
      MSRP: None Listed
      Listed Weight: .32 oz (9 g)
      Measured Weight: .4 oz (11 g)
      Other details: Available in 15 colors. Larger sizes are also
      available.

      FIELD USE

      I have used my Light My Fire spork on approximately two dozen
      backpacking nights with a variety of meals. It has been used with
      both stainless steel and teflon-coated aluminum pots, in conjunction
      with both a lightweight white gas stove and a homemade alcohol stove
      (side-jet pop can type).

      Meals I have prepared and eaten with this spork include my usual
      variety of backpacking fare, including mostly rice and noodles. It
      has also been used in the field to prepare other items, including
      freeze-dried meals and no-bake cheesecake.

      So far this fork has only seen summer use, and has not been used in
      temperatures below freezing.

      REVIEW

      The Light My Fire spork is a spoon, fork, and knife combined in one
      utensil. It measures approximately 6 3/4 in (17 cm) in length,
      which in my experience is a good compromise between being big enough
      to use, yet saving as much on weight as possible.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Spoon?
      Fork? Knife? Spork!">>
      One end of the spork is a spoon, the other end is a four-tined fork,
      and the outside edge of the fork is serrated to serve as a sort of
      knife. The serrated edge does rub against my hand when I use it as
      a spoon, but after several uses I don't even notice it during use.
      It is constructed, according to the manufacturer's website, of
      polycarbonate, and is available in 15 colors. I personally selected
      bright red so as to more easily keep track of it, both to avoid
      stepping on it, and to help reduce the odds of accidentally leaving
      it in camp.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Spork
      Profile">>
      For most of my meals, the spoon end receives the most use. It is
      moderately sized spoon, similar to a typical teaspoon. The sweeping
      profile of the spork allows me to use it much like a normal spoon.
      It works best for rice, soups, small pasta, and similar foods. The
      fork is similar in size, but the broad, relatively short, tines
      limit its use. It isn't that the fork isn't useful, but rather that
      the slippery material combined with the short, wide tines make it
      less effective than a normal fork in picking up items like ramen
      noodles. The fork is still my preferred side for noodles and many
      freeze-dried meals.

      The knife, in my experience, is more of a crude cutting instrument
      than a true knife. For example, if I were spreading peanut butter
      on something, I would use the spoon side. If I were trying to cut
      ramen noodles into shorter lengths, I'd usually use the knife edge
      (though the spoon works, too). I've tried to cut through some
      pieces of rehydrated jerky I put in a rice dish with the knife and
      though it was able to cut through it required a good deal of effort.

      One feature I greatly appreciate is the material used, which doesn't
      scratch my teflon-coated pots. It has withstood standing in boiling
      water for short lengths of time, and has suffered no damage. In
      fact, with all its use, it looks exactly like the day I bought it.
      No wear, no staining, no scratches. The material seems very durable
      in normal use. The fork is somewhat flexible, though, and I am
      careful to place it in areas I won't step on it, as I'm not sure how
      it would hold up. This causes my only source of worry surrounding
      the spork.

      Perhaps the greatest feature, at least for me, is the ease of
      cleaning. The material is easy to clean, and the design includes
      smooth edges and open fork tines and knife edge serrations making
      clean up a snap. There are no nooks, crannies, or rough edges for
      food to catch on, and even the somewhat sharp edges of the knife
      serrations are open enough to easily release residual food during
      cleanup.

      THINGS I LIKE

      *Very light weight
      *Selection of colors available
      *Easy cleanup
      *Compact size
      *Good basic functionality for meal preparation and eating

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      *Worring about accidentally stepping on it.

      SIGNATURE

      thefishguy-AT-hotmail-DOT-com

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic