74341REPOST: Owner Review Firelite SUL Long Handled Titanium Spoon Kim Beach-Shaffe

  • k.beachshaffer
    Sep 28, 2007
      Owner Review: FireLite SUL Long Handled Titanium Spoon
      Date: September 28, 2007

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Kim Beach-Shaffer
      Age: 44
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'2" (1.57 m)
      Weight: 145 lb (66 kg)
      Email Address: k.beachshaffer at yahoo dot com
      City, State, Country: Milton, West Virginia, USA

      Backpacking Background:
      Backpacking has been an influence in my life for the past 28 years.
      My trail experiences have been primarily in West Virginia, Ohio,
      Kentucky and sections of the Appalachian Trail from Virginia south to
      Springer Mountain, Georgia. In the past four years backpacking has
      been a primary focus in my life doing several week or longer
      adventurous and numerous weekend trips. I'm a lightweight backpacker
      and strive to keep my base average pack weight around 18 lbs (8 kg).
      I recently switched to using a MSR Fling tent from a hammock.

      Product Info

      Manufacturer: FireLite
      Year: 2007
      Product: FireLite SUL Long Handle Titanium Spoon
      Website: not available
      Listed Weight: 0.39 oz (12 g)
      Weight As Delivered: 0.39 oz (12 g)
      Length Listed: 8.375 in (21.5 cm)
      Length As Delivered: 8.375 in (21.5 cm)
      MSRP: US$12.99

      Product Description
      According to the manufacture the FireLite SUL Long Handled Titanium
      Spoon is designed for eating out of a "meal-in-a-bag" – whether it's a
      home-made variety or one from many of the manufacturers of
      freeze-dried foods.
      It has a matte gray finish. The spoon has a silver sandblasted logo
      with the words "Titanium" and "BackpackingLight.com" on the handle.
      It has a long handle (total spoon length, tip to tip, is 8.375 inches,
      or 21.5 cm) that is angled to keep my knuckle and hands clean of food
      gunk, and a flat-tipped spoon end that makes it easy to scrape the
      last bits of food out of the bottom of my plastic bag or the sidewalls
      of my pot or mug.
      It has a channel cut into the handle that gives the spoon strength
      while keeping the weight low. It has a small hole in one end that can
      keep it handy with a piece of cord or small carabineer.
      First Impression
      It is definitely light. It seems to have a good angle for use with
      meals in bags. I wasn't sure how it would work using it with a cook
      pot. The actual spoon base itself looked wide, it measured 1.5 inches
      (3.8 cm) by 1.75 inches (4.45 cm) inches and the volume is equivalent
      to one tablespoon.
      Field Use
      I have used the FireLite SUL Long Handled Spoon on six backpacking
      trips ranging in elevation from 1200 feet (366 m) to 3950 feet (1204
      m) and temperatures ranging from 27 F (-3 C) to 85 F (47 C). I have
      used the long handled spoon primarily for eating my meals out of a bag
      but on occasion have used it to stir meals being prepared in a pot
      measuring 5 inches (12.70 cm) in depth. I found using the long
      handled spoon for eating a meal out of a bag was great. There was no
      mess on my fingers, knuckles or hands. The size of the spoon base is
      large for me. It is tablespoon size, where I prefer to eat with a
      teaspoon. There were times I had to be very deliberate with portion
      size on the spoon base. I was concerned about the spoon base
      retaining too much heat from the food but I don't leave the long
      handled spoon sitting in my hot food or leave it in the pot while
      cooking and to date I have had no problem with the spoon base
      retaining enough heat to burn my mouth. The edges of the spoon are
      not sharp but at times if my hands are cold it seems a bit awkward. I
      found in using the long handle spoon with my cook pot, it was great.
      My cook pot is deep and I could get to the bottom and stir without
      worrying about burning my fingers. I was concerned about scratching
      the pot but it is no worse for the wear. The clean up for the long
      handle spoon is a breeze when I do it quickly. If I procrastinate, I
      may have some trouble, food likes to stick to it when left to clean up
      later. Depending on the backpacking trip, I usually pack the spoon in
      my food bag or with the cook kit if I'm packing it, however, at times
      its length can be its downfall when trying to pack it conveniently
      with like gear. When this occurs, I use the handy hole in the end and
      just attach it with a light weight carabineer to my pack and stash it
      in a side pocket. It has acquired several scratches on the backside
      of the spoon base but overall it is holding up rather nicely.
      Conclusion
      I'm pleased with the FirelLite SUL Titanium Long Handled Spoon. I've
      used many varieties of cutlery on the market today and by far like
      this piece of cutlery more than any other I've used.
      Pros
      handle, light
      Cons
      spoon base