74339OR - REI One Glove - Tom Callahan

  • tcallahanbgt
    Sep 30, 2007
      Here's my second owner review. Am anxious to attain the
      coveted "Newbie" status.

      This review may be found in the Owner Review test folder,
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%
      20REI%20One%20Glove%20-%20Tom%20Callahan/

      REI ONE GLOVE
      BY TOM CALLAHAN
      OR
      September 30, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Tom Callahan
      EMAIL: tcallahanbgt AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 48
      LOCATION: Seattle, Washington, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 170 lb (77.10 kg)

      I started backpacking as a kid in eastern Pennsylvania, using a heavy
      cloth pack, canvas tent, cotton sleeping bag. Oh how gear I've seen
      gear evolve. I now live in WA and get out regularly in the nearby
      Cascade Mountains. I do a variety of day hikes and multi-day trips.
      Usually I try to include a good off trail scramble with these trips.
      During the winter I do a good bit of snowshoeing. I also enjoy
      getting out and doing some glacier climbing, summiting prominent
      peaks like Mt. Rainier (14K ft/4K m) and Mt. Baker (10K ft/3K m).

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: REI
      "http://www.rei.com/">>
      MSRP: $46.00 US
      Color: Black
      Size: M, available in S, M, L, XL

      Product Description

      The product is described by the manufacturer as a multisport glove
      that is warm, wind- and water-resistant, stretchy and breathable,
      with rugged, grippy leather palms.

      This glove is made with what is commonly termed soft shell material.
      The shell exterior has a smooth finish and a soft fleece interior
      surface. This shell material is slightly stretchy. According to the
      product label, the gloves are constructed with a 65% polyester, 35%
      Lycra/Spandex shell. At the time of this review the REI web site
      describes the shell as 64% nylon, 31% polyester, 5% Lycra spandex
      which was the composition of the previous design.

      The gloves have Pittards Armortan® leather covering the full palm.
      This leather extends up all the fingers and the thumb. Pittards
      Armortan® leather is described as breathable, waterproof and
      offering "increased abrasion resistance up to 25%" (compared to
      regular leather I presume).

      The fingers are four panel construction. The cuff is a gauntlet-
      style. The gloves may be attached together at the wrist by means of a
      small plastic clip. Each glove has a small loop on the cuff for
      hanging.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "REI One Gloves">>

      Field Conditions

      I have used the product while snowshoeing, camping and glacier
      climbing in the Cascade Mountains, generally at elevations above
      3,000 ft ( 900 m). During the winter months I have used the gloves
      in temperatures as low as 15 F ( -9 C) and in weather conditions that
      ranged from clear/sunny to wet snow/rain. On summer camping trips
      I've used the gloves while hiking and around camp under both dry and
      wet conditions with temperature ranging from 35 - 75 F ( 2 - 24 C).
      On one particular glacier climb I wore the gloves up as high as
      12,500 ft ( 3,800 m) until the combination of wind, 20 mph ( 32
      km/h), and low temps, 25 F ( -4 C), necessitated an insulated glove.

      Under these conditions I have been able to evaluate these gloves for
      warmth, water repellency, durability and ease of use.

      Usage

      Here is how the gloves performed during usage in terms of Warmth,
      Water Repellency, Durability, and Ease of Use.

      Warmth:
      These gloves have kept my hands warm down to 20 F (-7 C) when they
      were dry and I was engaged in an aerobic activity. When I stopped at
      this temperature my hands would begin to feel a chill and I would
      have to keep moving my fingers to keep them warm. When in camp and
      engaged in light activity such as preparing dinner, these gloves
      would keep my hands comfortable and warm down to 40 F (4 C).

      When very active in cool, dry conditions, I will often wear a
      synthetic shirt with no jacket and the REI One Gloves. The gauntlet
      cuffs are outside the cuff of the shirt and the large cuff opening
      allows cool air to reach my wrists which made them chilly at times.

      On the warmer end of the scale, when not engaged in aerobic
      activities, I could wear them to around 50 F (10 C) and not feel as
      though my hands were overheating. This makes them an excellent glove
      to wear on cool evenings around camp at high elevations.

      These gloves provided good wind stopping protection in conditions up
      to around 20 mph (32 km/h). Beyond that my hands would begin to get
      noticeably chilled under cool conditions.

      Water Repellency:
      The soft-shell type material is advertised as being water-resistant,
      not water-proof and this is indeed the case. Under light rain and
      misty conditions, water will initially bead up on the gloves and
      after two hours water will have begun to soak through in places, such
      as the back of my hand. Within a half hour of being out in a steady
      rain, water will soak through these gloves. Water will also soak
      through when engaged in activities that place your hands in direct
      contact with wet snow, for instance when practicing self-arrest with
      an ice axe or engaged in snowball fights with my kids. I have had
      these gloves for 6 months and have not washed them or felt the need
      to renew the water repellency.

      Durability:
      These gloves have held up well. The palms have endured many hours of
      gripping poles while snowshoeing and hiking with only minimal wear to
      show for it. I have also done some rock scrambling while wearing
      these gloves which has caused some scuffing of the leather but
      nothing even close to a tear. I am not able to discern whether the
      Pittards leather holds up any better than regular leather, or
      validate the manufacture claim that it offers 25% better abrasion
      resistance. Through my usage, the shell has held its shape and has
      not stretched out. I am satisfied the durability of this material
      and it has met my expectations.

      Ease of Use:
      These gloves slipped on very easily when my hands were dry. When my
      hands were damp it took a little extra tugging. The inside fleece
      material felt soft on my hands. The exterior of the glove is smooth
      and was not too rough on my nose whenever a little wipe was needed.

      The gauntlet style cuff makes for a wider opening that enables these
      gloves to slip on and off easily. But at times this wider cuff
      opening necessitates some extra stuffing to get the cuff inside the
      sleeve of my shell jacket.

      The fingers are cut very full which makes the glove slightly bulkier
      I would have liked. This extra material made it more difficult to
      retrieve things out of my pocket and pack.

      The leather palms helped provide a good grip when using trekking or
      ski poles. Finger dexterity is also good. Here's a rundown of my
      ability to perform a number of common backpacking tasks:
      - could zip and unzip a shell jacket
      - could tear open and seal a freeze dried food package
      - could operate my digital camera
      - could tie a bowline in an 8 mm climbing rope
      - could operate my MSR Whisperlite stove
      - could not light a small disposable lighter
      - could not tie a bowline in small twine

      The small snap clip is a nice feature as I liked keeping the gloves
      attached to each other when not in use. This made it easier to find
      my gloves when I've stuffed them in my pack.

      The fabric enabled my hands to breath when engaged in high energy
      activities. Even after several hours of snow shoeing, my hands would
      not be damp with sweat while wearing these gloves. This goes a long
      way in keeping my hands warm and comfortable.

      Summary

      These gloves have met my expectations and are good all-season gloves.
      They are great for winter outings when you are engaged in a highly
      aerobic activity. These gloves also do well keeping my hands warm on
      cool nights at high elevations when camping in the summer.

      I would prefer a straight, form fitting cuff rather than the gauntlet-
      style cuff. A straight, form fitting cuff would provide for a better
      fit, would keep me warmer and would make the gloves fit better over
      my soft shell jacket sleeve.

      When overnight backpacking or out on a day trip, I don't like to take
      any more gear than absolutely necessary. These gloves provide a
      sufficient measure of protection from wind and rain, keeping my hands
      warm under a wide range of conditions. This versatility ensures they
      go out on every trip. However, these gloves do have limitations in
      terms of water-repellency and warmth. So I do not rely on them
      exclusively and will also bring along waterproof, insulated gloves
      when I anticipate being out in extremely wet and/or cold conditions.

      Pros & Cons

      Pros: versatility, breathability, durable palms with good grip
      Cons: bulky fingers, gauntlet-style cuffs

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic