74272EDIT/APPROVAL: OR - Tilley LTM5 Airflo Hat - Brett Cook

  • André Corterier
    Sep 5, 2007
      > EDIT/APPROVAL: OR - Tilley LTM5 Airflo Hat - Brett Cook

      Congratulations, Brett - you're in! Welcome to the club. Thanks for
      so quickly posting your revised version. I was on another job
      assignment, which is why I'm getting to it only now. Nicely done, the
      link works, looks good. About the tinyurl - live and learn. I noticed
      you put another picture into the report. That's always nice, but
      gives me the one nit to pick - there's a suggestion (it used to be
      mandatory) that pictures not exceed 600 pixels in width (due to
      display problems with the left-hand nav bar in lower resolution
      settings). Your picture showing the green leach could probably have a
      600 or so pixels wide part of it cropped from it, showing less of the
      surrounding hat and focus more on the leach area while also
      accommodating this preference.

      I see you're getting the hang of what we're looking for, and so it
      seems just the right time to welcome you to the club: Please upload
      to this folder: http://tinyurl.com/27ujh3, making sure that the radio
      button upon upload shows "Owner Review" as selected.

      This would also be a good time to make sure that your signed tester
      agreement is on file and to join our test admin group,
      if you have not already done so.

      Then, once you've uploaded this second OR of yours and deleted the
      test folder item, you are a newbie in good standing and as such
      eligible to apply for testing! And just in time, too - the bi-annual
      OR show deluge is going to have us inundated in test gear pretty soon.

      This may also be a good time to review the Bylaws regarding test
      calls and report requirements, found in chapter 4 and 5:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=Bylaws&page=40

      You will be considered a "Newbie" (a term of endearment, not of
      disparagement) until you have completed your first test series.
      Oversimplified, this means you will be limited to testing one
      significant item at a time until the end of your first test. Certain
      smaller items are exempted from this rule. You will find the Newbie
      Rule explained in much greater detail in Appendix 4 to the Bylaws,
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=SGAppendix&page=4

      Should you have any further question, please do not hesitate to ping
      me offline or to request a mentor (by email to
      mentor@...).

      Kind regards and again, welcome

      André
      OR Editor

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Brett Cook" <brett@...>
      wrote:

      > André,
      > I've made the changes and put the new version in the test folder.
      Here's a
      > link:
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/39838f
      >
      > I never knew what tinyurl was until you mentioned it and I looked
      it up;
      > interesting.
      >
      > Anyway, I've attached the .txt version below. Note that the "OR"
      only
      > appears in the text version. It's spelled out in the .htm version.
      This must
      > be an artifact of the BGT report writer for I cannot find a place
      to change
      > the way it's displayed in the .txt file.
      >
      > Brett

      > TILLEY LTM5 AIRFLO HAT
      >
      > BY BRETT COOK
      >
      > OR
      >
      > August 22, 2007
      >

      > TESTER INFORMATION
      >

      > NAME: Brett Cook
      >
      > EMAIL: brett@...
      >
      > AGE: 47
      >
      > LOCATION: Tucson, Arizona
      >
      > GENDER: M
      >
      > HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      >
      > WEIGHT: 180 lb (81.60 kg)
      >

      > I often bushwhack with climbing/caving gear and buy equipment that
      won't
      > fail in the field.
      >
      > I've gone a little towards the light side, but I need gear that
      won't let me
      > down.
      >
      > I go hiking several times a month, generally 6-10 miles (10-16 km)
      with
      > elevation changes of 1500' to 4000' (457 - 1219 m). Terrain varies
      from
      > scrub-thorn to mountainous.
      >
      > My pack weight varies between 10 and 30 lbs (4 - 14 kg) with
      occasional
      > loads of 50 lb (23 kg) or more.
      >

      > PRODUCT INFORMATION
      >

      > Manufacturer: Tilley Endurables <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE -
      > "http://www.Tilley.com" LINK TEXT = "www.Tilley.com">>
      >
      > Year of Manufacture: 2006
      >
      > MSRP: US $69
      >
      > Listed Weight 3 oz (85 g)
      >
      > Measured Weight: 3.5 oz (99 g)
      >
      > Size: 7 3/8 (22 ¾ in, 58 cm)
      >
      > Listed Brim Dimensions:
      >
      > Front: 2 5/8 in (57 cm)
      >
      > Back: 2 ¾ in, (7 cm)
      >
      > Sides: 2 1/8 in (5.4 cm)
      >
      > Measured Brim Dimensions:
      >
      > Front: 2 5/8 in (57 cm)
      >
      > Back: 2 ¾ in, (7 cm)
      >
      > Sides: 2 in (5 cm)
      >
      > Color: Khaki with Olive underbrim
      >

      > DESCRIPTION
      >

      > The LTM5 is a light-weight, synthetic hat with a 360 degree brim
      and a small
      > band of mesh near the top of the crown. The brim is about the size
      of a
      > military style Boonie, but much stiffer.
      >
      > I like full-brim hats because they offer better sun protection than
      baseball
      > caps. I've worn several types of caps; baseball caps, the Boonie,
      cowboy
      > hats, patrol caps (military Ranger-style), etc. I purchased this
      hat because
      > I wanted a full brim to protect my ears, nose and neck from the
      sun, but I
      > didn't want such a large brim that it would interfere with my pack
      or make
      > it difficult to see.
      >

      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Front view of hat" IMAGE CAPTION
      = "Figure
      > 1. Front view">>
      >

      > FIELD USE
      >

      > I've had this hat for about a year now, and have used it in
      conditions
      > ranging from near freezing to over 106 degrees F (41 C). The mesh
      strip
      > ventilates a bit much for a winter hat, but it was fine on a
      moderately
      > strenuous climb to the top of Mt. Humphries in northern Arizona
      where the
      > temperature was a little above freezing.
      >
      > I don't think I sweat any more than average, but it doesn't take
      much
      > exertion when the temperature in Tucson is 106 F (41 C) to make me
      wish the
      > mesh panel was a bit wider or had larger openings.
      >
      > Having a full brim helps protect my head and neck from direct sun.
      But,
> [...]
      rainy season
      > in Tucson. I've been exposed to heavy winds that were strong
      enough to pelt
      > me with stinging grit. The wide brim is more likely to catch the
      wind than
      > a baseball cap, but the wind cords kept it from flying away.
      >
      > Generally, just using the chin cord is enough, but I've had to use
      the rear
      > cord when I had a strong wind on my back. I've never had the hat
      fly off.
      > Besides being a bit more expensive than a baseball cap, I'd hate to
      be
      > without my sun protection!
      >
      > I had a chance to test it recently in a heavy downpour while
      hiking in the
      > Catalinas that lasted nearly an hour.
      >
      > The hat shed rain and didn't collapse. The brim stayed up out of
      my eyes so
      > I could still see. I didn't notice any rain getting in through the
      mesh,
      > although it's likely that some water would have made it through. I
      could
      > feel the wind blowing through the mesh to help reduce the steamy
      feeling due
      > to high humidity. I think the combination of material and the
      narrow mesh
      > band are a good combination for physical exertion during rainy
      conditions.

      > The LTM version is made with a proprietary material Tilley calls
      > Nylamtium®. The material is very light and easy to clean, but I
      sometimes
      > wish the lower section of the crown was made of cotton. On days
      much over
      > 100 degrees F (38 C), I sweat enough to overcome the sweatband, and
      sweat
      > droplets run to the edge of the brim and drop off. I think cotton
      would
      > hold more moisture and provide better evaporative cooling. I like
      the way
      > the brim holds its shape and doesn't flop down in front of my face
      like a
      > typical Boonie hat.
      >
      > Tilley makes another model, a TM11, with an all-mesh crown and
      cotton brim
      > (same dimensions as the LTM5) that weighs 4 oz (113 g). The styling
      is a
      > little different, and the mesh is synthetic, so I doubt it would
      help
      > evaporative cooling any. This model also has a fine liner behind
      the mesh
      > that would limit airflow. I can't say if the TM11 would have any
      better
      > airflow than the LTM5.
      >
      > I did have a bit of trouble getting the right size of hat. None
      of the
      > local stores carried the LTM5, so I went shopping on the internet.
      >
      > I measured my head according to the description given on the
      Tilley website
      > and measured 22.75 in (58 cm). This is at the upper end of the
      range for a 7
      > ¼ hat, so that's what I ordered. The hat arrived few days later,
      but it was
      > too small. I stretched it out according to the instructions on the
      website
      > (pulling it against using my knee), but it was still too small.
      So, I
      > returned it and ordered the next size up, a 7 3/8. It shrinks a
      little after
      > I wash it, but I can just wear it for a while and it loosens up and
      becomes
      > very comfortable.
      >
      > The hat does get a bit crushed when I shove it in my backpack, but
      the
      > wrinkles go away for the most part after I wear it again for a
      little while.

      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Wilderness of Rocks 8-07" IMAGE
      CAPTION =
      > "Figure 2. Wilderness of Rocks 8-07">>
      >

      > PROS
      >

      > The hat is light, holds its shape and is easy to clean. The mesh
      does a good
      > job of allowing air to flow across the top of my head, keeping it
      cool.

      > The dark underbrim helps reduce reflections from the underside.
      >
      > I like the looks of the hat, though it does stand out in a world
      that seems
      > to be populated with baseball caps.
      >

      > CONS
      >

      > The synthetic material doesn't absorb moisture, and the headband
      can't keep
      > up when I'm sweating heavily.
      >
      > The brass grommets on the sides of the hat cause a green coloration
      to leach
      > into the surrounding material after a few hours of heavy sweating.
      This is
      > really only cosmetic and washes out easily.
      >

      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Green stain from grommets" IMAGE
      CAPTION =