74096OR - Nalgene 32 oz Loop-Top water bottle

  • Anson
    Aug 3, 2007
      Per Owner Review Call
      html at http://tinyurl.com/3adfvu
      thanks
      Anson

      32 oz NALGENE WIDE MOUTH LOOP-TOP BOTTLE
      Owner Review
      August 3rd, 2007

      Name: Anson Moxness
      Age: 18
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'9" (1.75 m)
      Weight: 145 lbs (66 kg)
      E-mail: anson dot Moxness at gmail dot com
      Location: Anchorage, Alaska US
      Backpacking Background:
      I have been a backpacker for my entire life. Most of my experience
      backpacking has been in the Chugach Mountains outside of Anchorage. I
      am experimenting in a more lightweight approach to backpacking and
      hopefully I will end up with around a 15 lb (6.8 kg) pack for shorter
      (2-4 day) trips. I try to seek out the most rugged terrain possible;
      in the Chugach that I steeper rocky terrain with some snowfield and
      glacier crossing. I mostly hike in the summer months but I do have
      experience in cold weather conditions.

      Product Information:
      Model: 32 oz PC Loop-Top Wide-Mouth Bottle
      Manufacturer: Nalgene Outdoor Inc.
      Year Purchased: 2006
      Listed Volume: 32 fl. oz (1 L)
      Measured Volume: 36 fl. oz (1.06 L) (when filled to rim)
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight (empty): 6 oz (170 g)
      Dimensions: 8.25" x 3.5" diameter (21 cm x 9 cm diameter)
      MSRP: $9.00 USD

      The NALGENE 32 oz (1 L) bottle is the stereotypical hiker's water
      bottle. It is made of a tough, polycarbonate Lexan plastic, which
      makes it very solid, but forgiving enough to be shatterproof. The
      attached cap is made of a softer plastic, which screws over the 2" (5
      cm) diameter opening. Nalgene sells their bottle in a variety of
      colors ranging from traditional grey, to pink, with plain Nalgene
      graphics or customizable ones, such as my red bottle from the
      Anchorage REI (Recreational Equipment, Inc). The side of the bottle is
      graduated with markings of fluid ounces and milliliters. Every 4
      ounces starting at 8 oz, up to 32 oz, and every 100 ml starting at 200
      and going to 900. The bottom shows that the bottle itself is made of
      #7 PC (other polycarbonate plastic), and the cap is a #6 Polystyrene
      plastic.

      According to the Nalgene website, the features of the 32 oz
      polycarbonate Loop-Top bottle are
      Extremely durable
      Resistant to staining
      Resistant to retaining odors
      Recommended for "extreme" adventures
      Dishwasher Safe (top rack only)
      Withstands temperatures from -135ºC (-211ºF) to 135ºC (275ºF)

      Field Conditions:
      My Nalgene bottle is a staple of my hiking, and daily equipment. While
      backpacking I have used it from altitudes of sea level to 15,000 feet
      (4500 meters). I have used the bottle in temperatures from 95 F (35 C)
      to -40 F (-40 C), in pouring rain, blizzards, and blistering heat. My
      Naglene water bottle has been frozen, with and without water in it,
      and I've taken it on airplanes (after chugging all the water at the
      security station).

      Review:
      It has probably been said that to be a serious outdoorsperson, one
      must own several, if not dozens of Nalgenes. While not technically
      true, this statement does shed some light on how wonderful these
      bottles actually are. Count less hikers will have a Nalgene clipped
      to their backpacks or stuffed in an easily accessible pocket, and
      there is a reason for it. The first is that Lexan Nalgene Bottle are
      tough as nails. I personally have been part of an experiment [Note:
      don't try this at home] where I held a Nalgene under a small SUV's
      tire then a friend backed up over the bottle. We put a small dent in
      the bottom of the bottle, but it still held water just like it was
      new. I have frozen a full water bottle many times but it has never
      burst and I have poured in boiling water and the plastic has never
      melted. The Lexan surface can get scratched, but I have never in my
      experience had one get a puncture.

      The wide mouth allows for easy access to the contents. So, for
      example, it is easier to add energy drink mixes without spilling or
      ice cubes over a narrower mouthed water bottle. The wide mouth, and
      wide body, of the bottle make it easier to use while wearing bulky
      winter gloves. Yet another aspect of the wide-mouthed Nalgene that I
      like is easy cleaning. Nalgene claims they are dishwasher safe, but I
      still just rinse the bottle out after a long trip and every once and a
      while rinse it with some dish soap to clean out any lingering scents
      that sometimes accumulate after a month or two of sitting in a car
      with half a cup of sports drink in it.

      I have only had two issues with my Nalgenes. The first is the
      lettering on the side, volume graduations or logos, slowly wear off in
      high friction areas, such as where a strap might hit it or I might
      hold it on a long trip. Though I have never used the volume markings
      to measure anything other than a full liter (32 fl oz), which is
      fairly straight forward even without markings. My second issue is with
      the loop-top that attaches the cap to the bottle. The attachment at
      the top of the bottle seems to not be able to withstand more than a
      full water bottle's worth of weight. If a full bottle is attached by
      only the loop and the bottle is jerked downward, sometimes the cap
      separates from the loop. This is easily replaceable with a new cap
      (MSRP: $3 US, available in multiple colors).

      In recent years there have been studies on dangerous chemicals that
      are contained in the polycarbonate of Lexan plastic. In one study, a
      similar plastic to Lexan released enough Bisphenol A to cause gene and
      chromosomal problems in mice. However Nalgene has stated that the
      amount of these chemicals that maybe leech into the contents of the
      bottle isn't enough to cause health problems. As with most current
      scientific studies there are differing viewpoints, and personally, I
      will continue using Nalgene bottles even though there are studies
      showing the bad effects of one kind of polycarbonate. In response to
      concerns, Nalgene released a High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) bottle,
      which is free of dangerous chemicals.

      To rehash:
      Nalgene bottles are tough, tougher than me. I would definitely
      recommend them to anyone looking for a reusable water bottle. The
      wide-mouthed bottles are easy to use and can be manipulated even with
      large gloves on. While the tops are not as durable as the body and the
      writing can come off, they are still one of the best water bottles I
      have ever used.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic