73005OWNER REVIEW - (KNIVES OF ALASKA - MUSKRAT)

  • josh goodin
    Feb 24, 2007
      KNIVES OF ALASKA MUSKRAT - SUREGRIP
      BY JOSHUA GOODIN
      OR
      February 24, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Joshua Goodin
      EMAIL: kolo117@...
      AGE: 25
      LOCATION: Southaven, MS, USA
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I have been hiking and backpacking since I was 15, in locations from as east as South Carolina and as west as California. A lot of my experience came during three year stint in the Army. I would be classed as a mid-weight hiker, because I believe there are some things worth taking, but I keep my wieght down on as many things as possible. I will average 75 to 100 miles (121 - 161) a year. I usually set a leisurely pace of between 1 - 3 mph (1.61 - 4.83 kph), because I like to really enjoy my surroundings.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Knives of Alaska
      Year of Manufacture: 2004
      Manufacturer's Website: <<http://www.knivesofalaska.com/>>
      MSRP: US$59.97
      Listed Weight: not listed on website
      Measured Weight: ?? oz (?? g)
      Other details:
      Advertised overall length: 6 1/2 in (165 mm)
      Advertised blade length: 2 1/4 in (57 mm)
      Adevertised blade thickness: 1/8 in (12.2 mm)
      Steel grade : D-2

      Product Description:
      The edge extends completely around the rounded edge and along the top side for one inch (25.4 mm). This allows you to cut quickly with the knife by cutting in both directions with a quick flick of the wrist. The thin 1/8 thick blade is D-2 tool steel and holds a very sharp edge. The knife came with an oiled leather sheath and a black rubberized Suregrip handle.

      FIELD USE

      I use this knife exclusively for backpacking and hunting, I've used it for a couple of years now. The first thing that I noticed is that it comes straight out of the box unbelievably sharp. During the time I have used it I have not had to sharpen it even once, although it is getting to the point now where it will just barely shave hair. I have used the knife to cut everything you could imagine cutting on the trail and in the woods; rope, plastic, cardboard, tape, & ect. The back of the blade has a textued thumb rest for more precise handling. The Suregrip handle has lived up to its name thus far, it has yet to slip in my hands, even when wet. I chose this style handle for that exact reason. There is a grommet hole at the end of the handle The reason I chose a rounded point knife is because it minimizes weight while maximizing blade area adding another inch (25.4 mm) with the rounded point. It can also double as a perfect skinner while hunting. The sheath is an oiled leather which looks great and holds the knife, it even has a secondary wrap-around button handle holder, however, even with this if the sheath is turned upside down the knife will not stay in. The only other concern I had was the fact that when the blade needs sharpening I suspect it will take some skill to sharpen a rounded point.

      SUMMARY

      So, in summary the knife is practically perfect, the sheath is not. Good steel, great edge, great grip, and very functional, but the holding method leaves something to be desired.

      Location and Conditions

      I have used this knife in the ozarks, south MS woodlands AK mountains, TN woodlands, ect, and in altitudes from sea level to 3000+ ft (914+ m). Temperature variations have been from 25 - 90 degrees F (-3.88 - 32.22 degrees C)

      Personal Information:

      Joshua Goodin
      kolo117@...
      Northwest Mississippi