73002EDIT/APPROVAL OWNER REVIEW: Seal Line Kodiak Window Purge 30L and 15L

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Feb 23, 2007
      Hello Eric,

      I also use dry bags (lighter, though less full-featured, than yours)
      for backpacking, as well as in my kayak. I find it a terrific way to
      keep everything semi-organized. I do like the windows on yours.

      A few more small edits, and you will be ready for upload. I will
      provide a folder for you at the end of this message.

      ### EDIT: the title should be

      SealLine Kodiak Window Dry Bags

      i.e. Don't specify the sizes in the title, but do specify what they are!

      > I grew up in a family that loved to Backpack

      ### EDIT: backpack

      >I am a mid-weight Backpacker

      ### EDIT: I am a mid-weight backpacker

      www.cascadedesigns.com

      This needs to be made clickable

      30L Volume: 2000 cu in (33 L), dimensions 11 x 25 in (28 x 64 cm); 15L
      Volume 1220 cu in (20 L), dimensions 9 x 20 in (23 x 50 cm)

      ### EDIT: Keep a space between the number and the unit. 30 L is good;
      30L is not. Please add the space where needed.

      Manufacturer's description:
      > Translucent TPU window
      > New one-way purge valve
      > Improved roll-down closure
      > Kodiak Window Dry Bags feature a translucent TPU window that lets
      you see into the bag without sacrificing privacy, as well as a new
      hands-free, one-way purge valve that offers increased compressibility
      and is flexible and flush to prevent snagging. They also boast an
      improved roll-down closure for a watertight seal, and a heavy-duty
      round bottom that lasts long, maximizes storage capacity, and stands
      upright to make packing easier than ever. These bags are made of
      tough, lightweight nylon and are available in seven sizes to fit every
      dry storage need.

      > Waterproof Level 2: considered watertight withstands quick
      submersions and will float if dropped in the water.

      ### EDIT: I strongly suggest centering the pair of images, and putting
      the text underneath. Having the "bulleted" text to the right doesn't
      look good--it's scrunched. Please remove the space before the last
      paragraph (> Waterproof Level 2...)

      The only suggested manufacturer's improvement...

      ### EDIT: the only suggested improvement...

      Boy Scout Troop 288
      Committee Member
      www.t288.org

      ### EDIT: We only allow manufacturer or personal links (to top-level
      URLs). Indeed, overall I don't think this information (all three
      lines) really adds anything, as we know from your text that you are
      involved in Scouting. Please delete.

      Finally, if the photos are yours, no problem, but if they are (as I
      suspect) SealLine's you should state "Photos courtesy of SealLine" or
      words to that effect under the images.

      Please fix as indicated, and upload to the following folder

      http://tinyurl.com/24ul5a

      Please use the test folder first to make sure everything is as it
      should be. Be sure to mark the "Owner Review" radio button upon
      upload. Thank you.

      Ted

      -- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "edwardripleyduggan" <erd@...>
      wrote:

      > Sorry, Eric. Overlooked this. A few minor issues, but this looks good.
      > Please place an HTML version in the test folder with the corrections
      > noted. I'll give it a further inspection, you can make any needed
      > adjustments, and be ready to upload.
      >
      > Ted
      >

      > > Eric
      > >
      > > SealLine Kodiak Window Purge 30L and 15L
      > > By Eric Frey
      > > OR
      > > January 13, 2007
      >
      > ### EDIT:
      >
      > Owner Review SealLine Kodiak Window Purge 30L and 15L
      >
      > January 13, 2007
      >

      > is pretty much the standard form
      >

      > > TESTER INFORMATION
      > >
      > > NAME: Eric Frey
      > > EMAIL: eric.frey@
      > > AGE: 32
      > > LOCATION: Dallas, Oregon
      > > GENDER: m
      > > HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      > > WEIGHT: 160 lb (72.60 kg)
      > >
      > > I grew up in a family that loved to Backpack and go for weekend
      > excursions to the Oregon Coast and Cascade Mountains. I have spent
      > much of my life in the outdoors, Boy Scouts, Explorers, National Guard
      > Soldier. Currently I do most of my backpacking with my son's Boy Scout
      > Troop. I have explored the Sinai peninsula, hiked in Germany, Spent a
      > winter in Umatilla, Oregon where the low was -26 F (-32.21 C), Climbed
      > Avalanche Peak in Yellowstone National Park, and mostly explore the
      > wilds of Oregon with my family. I am a Mid-weight
      >
      > ### EDIT: mid-weight
      >
      > Backpacker who prefers comfort to lightweight.
      > >
      > > PRODUCT INFORMATION
      > >
      > > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Kodiak
      > Window Line of Bags">>
      > > Manufacturer: Cascade Designs
      > > Year of Manufacture: 2005
      > > Manufacturer's Website: www.cascadedesigns.com
      > > MSRP: 30L US$ 34.95, 15L US$ 24.95
      > > Listed weight: 30L 9 oz (255 g), 15L 7 oz (198 g)
      > > Measured weight: same weight plus card board packaging
      >
      > ### EDIT: It's assumed that the measured weight is without packaging
      > so you can omit the last four words
      >
      > > Other details: 30L Volume: 2000 cu in (33 L), dimensions 11 x 25 in
      > (28 x 64 cm); 15L Volume 1220 cu in (20 L), dimensions 9 x 20 in (23 x
      > 50 cm)
      > >

      > > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "30L Blue">>
      > >
      > > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "15L
      Yellow">>

> [...]
      > window in them my wife and I could quickly identify whose bag was
      > whose and our sons had their bags color coded, yellow and blue. In
      > addition to the normal uses these bags worked well for shower bags,
      > and laundry bags during our trip.
      > >
      > > Finally was the non-standard use trip to Redmond, Oregon where our
      > unit performed AT.
      >
      > ### EDIT: Better spell out what AT is!
      >
      > When we move our equipment, no one is gentle with it, bags are thrown
      > into trucks, tossed on the ground and generally drug all over the
      > place. This is sagebrush, juniper, and tumbleweed area with lots of
      > dust, especially with armored personnel carriers moving around the
      > area. With the rough handling and general abuse these bags received I
      > was certain I was going to puncture them but the seams stayed sealed,
      > the last millimeter of fabric did start to fray a bit, however with
      > about a centimeter of sealing this does not affect the integrity of
      > the product. I had one bag with my cook set and camp stove in it (I
      > need my coffee) and I was very glad to see that even with a little bit
      > of white gas leaking in the bag nothing escaped. The other issue I was
      > worried about was the purge valve and the fine dust that covers
      > everything out there. The small filter over the purge valve worked
      > very well to keep the bag from sucking up any dust or dust building up
      > in the valve and making it unsealable.
      > >

      > > THINGS I LIKE
      > >
      > > easy to grab handles
      > > compressible for storage
      > > durable seams
      > > not designed for backpacking but very functional
      > >
      > > THINGS I DON'T LIKE
      > >

      > > The only suggested manufacturer's improvement would be to add a
      > filter screen to the inside of the bag; we found that when windproof
      > items, or tightly woven fabrics are right next to the purge valve it
      > prevents the air from escaping.
      > > The waterproofing is sticky so stuffing a sleeping bag can get
      > difficult.
      > >
      > > SUMMARY
      > >
      > > This bag went from one person using it to everyone in the family
      > having at least one bag and being used on every trip we go on. The
      > ease of use and the multiple applications make this a very versatile
      > bag that I would recommend for all campers and backpackers (except the
      > ultra light backpackers). This is a bag where weight is worth the
      > benefit. Two bags weigh about a pound. I would rather carry a pound of
      > dry though than 5 pounds of wet. I plan to take these bags with me for
      > our rafting trip this summer and would recommend them for most water
      > applications except where they would be submerged for long periods.
      > >
      > > SIGNATURE
      > >
      > > Eric J. Frey
      > > Staff Sergeant
      > > Oregon Army National Guard
      > >
      > > Boy Scout Troop 288
      > > Committee Member
      > > www.t288.org
      > >

      > > This report was created with the BGT Report Generator.

      One way
      > > > to avoid this is to save the document as "Text only" in Word or in
      > > > Notepad (better still).
      > > >
      > > > Thanks very much!
      > > >
      > > > Ted
      > > >
      > > > BGT OR Editor