72835Re: EDIT: OWNER REVIEW - Light My Fire Spork

  • raefrog47
    Feb 2, 2007
      Hello,
      Are you looking at the first version, which I initially posted on Nov.
      24th, or the new version, which I reposted on Dec 27th, where I made
      the basic format edits, based on the comments Ted made on my first
      review? If you are looking at the repost, please let me know exactly
      where the problems are, as I thought I'd caught all of the basic
      format changes.
      In case you don't have it, here's a copy of the revised version, which
      I initially (re)posted on Dec 27th.
      -Rae

      OWNER REVIEW - Light My Fire Spork

      Name: Rae Goodman
      Age: 24
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 2" (157 cm)
      Weight: 155 lbs (71 kg)
      Email: raefrog at hotmail dot com
      Location: San Francisco

      Outdoors Background:
      I've been hiking since high school, starting on pieces of the AT. I've
      hiked, camped, and done overnight bicycling treks, primarily in and
      around California. I work in outdoors programming for ages 13-26, and
      have led trips for 1-50 people. So far, I'm a 3-season hiker, doing
      mostly easier hikes, since I'm often taking first-timers with me. I've
      never kept much track of my gear weight, since I've always been using
      borrowed gear and often carrying group gear. I'm currently planning an
      '08 AT thru-hike, and I'm trying out ultralight gear, researching and
      buying an item at a time.

      Product Information
      Product: Light My Fire Spork
      Year: 2006
      Website: http://www.light-my-fire.se/
      Weight (listed): 0.2 oz (5.7 g)
      Size: 6.6 x 1.5 inches (16.8 cm x 3.8 cm)
      Price: US $3
      Material: Polycarbonate
      Color: Green

      This is listed as a "spork" but it's not really. It's a two-ended
      utensil, with a fork on one end and a spoon on the other. The fork has
      a serrated "knife" edge on one side.

      I bought this the second I saw it in REI. I don't like sporks, since
      they aren't very good as either a spoon or a fork, but I also don't
      want to carry two separate utensils made of metal or heavier plastic.
      I've used this at home and out camping around CA, and I love it. It's
      practically weightless, durable, functional.

      Since it's two-ended, I'm holding onto the fork while using the spoon,
      or vice versa. So, I have to decide which utensil I want to use for a
      particular meal, or keep cleaning it between using each side, or just
      get my hands dirty. I don't mind just using one utensil per meal,
      especially since camping meals are usually pretty simple anyway.

      The polycarbonate is strong and slightly flexible. The tines of the
      fork are long enough to be useful in stabbing items or eating pasta,
      unlike sporks. And, unlike disposable plastic utensils, the tines
      don't break off or bend out of the way when I'm trying to stab
      something a bit tougher.

      I haven't found the serrated plastic "cutting" edge of the fork to be
      very useful. It's not sharp, so about all it might be good for would
      be cutting cheddar cheese or similar, but the non-blade edge of the
      fork works just as well for that. Neither the serrated or the smooth
      side of the fork would cut a tougher item like meat or hard cheese.
      Also, I always carry a knife when camping anyway, so it's not like I
      need the "blade." The serrated edge was rough on the edge of the mouth
      when eating the first few times, but I got used to opening a bit wider
      to avoid scaping the side of my mouth. It's not bad, unless I've
      already got a sore or chapped lips.

      The spoon end is large and deep enough that eating soup is easy. The
      bowl/ curve of the spoon is deeper than most camping spoons I've seen.
      And, unlike sporks, the depth of the bowl that's useable for soup
      isn't reduced by having notches for the spork "tines" cut into it.

      It claims to be heat resistant, which so far I've found to be mostly
      true. I've run it through the dishwasher and used it on hot pots
      without any trouble, and it's mostly been fine. It does have a small
      scorch mark on the back of the spoon and I'm not sure how it got
      there. (I suspect one of my housemates used it and left it leaning
      against the edge of a pot while something was cooking). But, it
      doesn't matter much and I keep using it.

      It's also nice that it's plastic and can be used on non-stick
      cookware. I usually use metal silverware and therefore can't use
      nonstick cookware without getting little bits of Teflon in my food.
      This spork is long enough to use in fairly deep containers, especially
      when using the fork end – holding onto the spoon end makes it easy to
      reach further down. I eat out of a ¾ L gladware plastic screw-top
      container that's about 3.5" in diameter by 6" deep. However, this
      isn't a "long handled spoon" like the Firelite 8.4" titanium spoon.

      Overall, I'd definitely recommend this "spork." It's function,
      lightweight, and durable. It's a great alternative to lousy sporks.
      The price is excellent, too.

      <rayestrella@...> wrote:

      > Hi Rae,
      >
      > Seeing as this is your second review I could not understand why I was
      > seeing so many edits with the basics of the review. Upon pulling your
      > first review I saw that Ted had all the same edits that I was getting
      > ready to write up. It seems you wrote two reviews at the same time.
      > (The date is a pretty good give-away.) Could you please put all of the
      > work that Ted did and the experience you gained to good use and rewrite
      > this to reflect it please?
      >
      > Repost here when it is fixed.
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > Raymond Estrella