70440EDIT: Owner Review: SwissCard Classic T3 Credit Card Toolkit - Karl Fuderer

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Jun 6, 2006
      Hi Karl,

      Here's your edit. It's fairly extensive, and may need some more work
      on a second round. None the less, I enjoyed reading your text, and it
      should be a good OR when completed. Missing is the "testing
      environment" section, in which you state the elevation range, weather,
      temperature range and anything else pertinent to the conditions under
      which the tool was used.

      I didn't much care for the pros and cons section, as some of these
      were a bit obscure or non-specific. See my notes there. Perhaps a
      sentence summarizing the positives and negatives might be better?

      Best,

      Ted

      BGT OR EDITOR

      > Owner Review: SwissCard Classic T3 Credit Card Toolkit
      > Report Date: 28 April 2006
      >
      > Personal Biographical Information:
      > Full Name: Karl Daniel Fuderer aka Buzz Lightyear
      > Age: 23 years old
      > Gender: Male
      > Height: 175 cm (5' 7")
      > Weight: 85 kg (187 lbs)
      > Email: zkyf@...
      > Region: Perth, Western Australia, Australia
      >
      > Background:
      > I started backpacking about 9 months ago, after converting from cycle
      > touring. I've experienced being a lightweight and middleweight
      > backpacker, with my carried weight ranging from 25 kg (55 lbs) when
      > very remote for 2+ wks,

      ### EDIT: weeks

      to 14 kg (37 lbs) when food is accessible
      > every few days. I sleep in a 2-man tent, unless shelter is provided
      > like on the Bibbulmun Track where I carry a mosquito head net and
      > ground sheet. I like to hike in as wide a variety of locations and
      > terrains as possible, from desert to forest to mountain, using an
      > extraordinary range of equipment.
      >
      > Product information:
      > Model: Swisscard Classic T3
      > Manufacturer: Victorinox CH–6438 Ibach-Schwyz

      ### EDIT: Just Victorinox [the rest is the address, in part)

      > Year of manufacture: 2002
      > Listed Weight: 20 gm (0.7 oz)
      > Measured weight: 26 gm (0.9 oz)
      > Listed size: 3.5 mm x 81 mm x 53 mm (0.13 in x 3.18 in x 2.08 in)
      > Number of functions: 11
      > Colour: Onyx anthracite translucent (0.7133.T3)

      ### COMMENT: Is this the model number? I'd suggest omitting it, as the
      rest seems sufficient to describe it and it is no longer in stock

      > RRP: Not listed – discontinued line due to upgrade
      >
      > Product description: (paraphrased from website) The `SwissCard
      > Classic' is a first-rate practical, all-round product for every man
      > and every woman. With the elegant `SwissCard Classic' I have the most
      > essential tools and accessories always at hand. It fits perfectly
      > well into my diary, planner, wallet, briefcase or shirt pocket. It
      > could make a very attractive and worthwhile present as I value giving
      > the highest quality. The `SwissCard Classic' includes 11 functions:
      > letter opener (blade), scissors, protractor, pin, press ballpoint
      > pen, tweezers, toothpick, ruler in cm, ruler in inches, nail file,
      > and a 2 mm (0.07 in) flathead screwdriver.
      >
      > Design And Features:
      > The colour is translucent greyish black with white writing and
      > symbols. All the metallic parts are silver, with grey handles, and
      > the toothpick is yellow, sticking out like a sore thumb. The markings
      > that make up the rule and protractor are engraved on the main casing,
      > and the edge of the cm rule is bevelled at 45 degrees for more
      > accuracy in drawing straight lines. Each of the parts built for
      > the `SwissCard Classic' have bubbles built into the design to help
      > hold the parts into the whole,

      ### EDIT: I don't understand what's meant here. Could you clarify
      regarding the "bubbles," and explain how they hold the parts into the
      casing, please?

      and some of the spots where parts are
      > designed to fit have embossed images of the device that lives

      ### EDIT: "fits there" is perhaps a bit less anthropomorphic? I won't
      insist in this case...

      there.

      > Long Term Field Review:
      > Introduction:
      > When I'm trekking, I prefer to carry as little as possible when it
      > comes to metallic objects, because gram for gram they're the
      > heaviest.

      ### EDIT: Sorry, this makes no sense. A gram is a gram is a gram, to
      paraphrase Gertrude Stein. A gram of down is no heavier than a gram of
      metal. "because weight for volume they're the heaviest" would be an
      accurate statement, and I think that's close to what you meant to say.

      When I'm eliminating the unnecessarily packed weight before
      > I leave, I make an exception when I come across the `SwissCard
      > Classic', because in my experience it's been a godsend and saviour in
      > a lightweight, compact design.

      ### EDIT: This sounds a bit ecclesiastical. I expect it to show up in
      an aura of heavenly light! <g> Just leave it at "godsend." I'd omit
      the " a lightweight, compact design" because we already have that info.

      > From the moment I received it for Christmas years ago, It has lived
      > every day of it's

      ### EDIT: its

      life in the most easily accessible location of my
      > only wallet, taking pole position

      ### EDIT: "pole position" is not a phrase I know. I would suggest
      putting a period/full stop after wallet, and omitting all up to (and
      including) the dash below.

      when preparing for almost every
      > situation I've expected to find myself in – It lives next to my money
      > and identification. How much more important could I place it in my
      > day-to-day life?
      >
      > As mentioned, it lives as close as I can get it to me all the time,
      > and thus I have used it more times than I could ever imagine,
      > including at campsites on my treks and tours such as opening
      > packaging of dehydrated food while on the Bibbulmun Track. I would
      > guess on average something from it is used once a week. I haven't
      > needed to sharpen either the knife or scissors as yet but they are
      > both blunt from use in opening packaging on a regular basis. The pin
      > is gone for good after digging out a splinter from my finger I
      > dropped it and it was gone. The pen is almost out of ink from jotting
      > down the occasional important note that goes for a few pages when I
      > get carried away. The tweezers have lost their spring from all the
      > foreign objects extracted from under finger nails and getting that
      > last little bit of chocolate out of the corner of the zip lock so it
      > can be reused without cross contamination.

      ### EDIT cross-contamination

      The things I use most
      > often are the scissors and pen, but everything holds a worthy place
      > in my life:

      ### EDIT: Maybe "but all the tools are extremely useful on occasion"

      I admit I haven't used the protractor, but It's

      ### EDIT: it's

      part of
      > the casing so nothing lost by it's

      ### EDIT: its

      being there, just in case.

      > Treatment Received:
      > The `SwissCard Classic' has stood up to some brutal treatment over
      > many years, and still works the same

      ### EDIT: "as well" instead of "the same"

      as the day I received it, except
      > some things are blunt or consumed. Just a few days before writing
      > this I dropped it from navel high, and it shattered in pieces. I
      > picked up the pieces, put them back together, and it was like new
      > again.
      >
      > The knife is designed to be

      ### EDIT: instead of "to be", the more specific "to cut"

      only for paper, thin plastic and other
      > packaging that's easy to cut through, however It

      ### EDIT: it (lower case I)

      has sliced through
      > everything from food to manufacturers

      ### EDIT: manufacturer's

      plastic to cardboard in it's

      ### EFIT: its

      > life, and still cuts through paper easily.
      >
      > The scissors have also lived a violent and punishing life, cutting
      > through more things than I can remember, including fabric, cardboard,
      > leather, wire, herbs and nuts. Even the blade was bent out of shape
      > once and I machined it back into place.
      >
      > The pen has been used in every situation where I found myself needing
      > to write something down to remember for later or to sign forms when
      > everyone else's pen didn't work.
      >
      > The nail file, toothpick, tweezers, rule, protractor, screwdriver and
      > key ring are seldom if ever used, but it's nice to have them close by.

      ### EDIT: You have stated that you have used the tweezers to the point
      where they have lost their spring, and for chocolate. Maybe omit the
      tweezers from the list?

      > Maintenance:
      > Minimal. Over the years I've owned it, I haven't once done anything
      > to maintain it, besides the repair on the blades of the scissors.
      > Because I don't use it all the time in every situation where I could,
      > preferring to use items that can withstand greater punishment, the
      > tools have lasted longer than they otherwise would have, so
      > sharpening the knife or scissors, or refilling the pen has not been
      > urgent enough to warrant my attention. After using it on something
      > that creates sticky mess, like food, I generally wipe it down right
      > then to avoid mould or algae, just with a cleanish looking cloth.
      > There is no rust apparent whatsoever, and none of the parts contain

      ### EDIT: omit the "contain" from here

      > or require lubricant like oil.
      > Conclusion:
      > part of my minimum carry gear. Should I ever need to replace it, I
      > will not think twice about upgrading to the new and
      > improved "Swisscard Lite" that includes a light diode.
      >
      > Pros:
      > Small
      > Light
      > Multifunctional
      > Durable whole
      > Visible whole

      ### EDIT: I understand what you are saying above regarding durability,
      but it's not entirely clearly expressed. The "whole" is confusing. How
      about: "The unit, as a whole, is durable, though the tools are not."
      You could put "Easily visible" as a separate line.

      > Easy to use
      >
      > Cons:
      > Too minimalistic

      ### EDIT: If the set of tools is too minimalistic, that should be
      discussed in the main text. What tools does this lack that you have
      needed? Since you are using this as a multi-tool, this is important.

      > Functions not precisely to my needs

      ### EDIT: Perhaps "Not all tools precisely fit my needs"

      > Easy to lose parts
      > Easy to break parts

      ### EDIT: "parts" or "tools" here?

      > Expensive to buy
      > Expensive to replace parts

      ### EDIT: This is something that might be touched on earlier, in the
      main body of the text. I was wondering, for example, why you hadn't
      replaced the pen.

      > Some parts don't suit the whole

      ### EDIT: I'm not sure what this last "con" means. Omit or clarify.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic