      City, State, Country: Yreka, California, U.S.
      Date: April 26, 2006
      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking about two years ago and
      serious hiking about 4 years ago. In that time I have not been able
      to get out as much as I have wanted, only about 100 mi (161 kg) per
      summer but I am hoping that this summer will be different. I love to
      be out in the woods with my friends enjoying nature. I backpack
      within the Marble Mountain Wilderness area of Northern California
      where the terrain is mountainous with elevations ranging from 2000 ft
      (610 m) to over 8000 ft (2438 m). Being California the temperatures
      in the summer in the mountains are roughly 70 F (21.11 c) to 90 F
      (32.22 c) in the day with temps dropping at night to a cool, if not
      cold temp. I am not overly concerned with being as lightweight as
      possible but it is nice to be able to shed a few pounds here and there.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: La Sportiva
      Year of Manufacture: 2002
      Listed Weight: 4 lbs 5 oz per pair (1.952 kg)
      Actual Weight: 4 lbs 5 oz (1.952 kg)
      MSRP: $255.00

      COLOR: Natural
      UPPER:.12 in (3 mm) Idro-Perwanger Roughout Leather/Vibram® XSV
      Rand/Removable EZ Flex Tongue with Dri-Lex® lining
      CONSTRUCTION: Board Lasted
      LAST: Makalu
      LINING: Dri-Lex®
      SOLE: Skywalk
      MPE MIDSOLE: SBR Aircushion
      INSOLE:.31 in (8 mm) Mtnflex with .06 in (1.5 mm) Dacromet-coated full
      steel shank
      (Specifications from www.sportiva.com)

      The Makalu is a backpacking/mountaineering boot made by La Sportiva.
      The boot is mostly constructed of natural, full grain leather with a
      black leather tungue. They have high ankle support and locking D-rings
      to allow for a more custom fit and difference between the foot and the
      ankle. The boot also includes a gusseted tongue to keep water and
      rocks out with a soft padded inner tongue, also in black leather, for
      comfort. The La Sportiva logo shows up three times on each boot.
      Twice it is tastefully imbossed within the leather on either side of
      the ankle, and the third is on the tongue. Consistent with other La
      Sportiva boots, this boot has very little flash, just the neccesities
      of a good boot. This boot is fully crampon compatible for those
      mountaineering adventures but is not your typical overly heavy
      mountaineering boot. As said before it is also a backpacking boot.
      This boot performs well on all types of trail from loose dirt to mud
      to slick rock. The sole is made with a heel brake for downhill travel
      and a smooth toe for grip on rock.

      I have used these boots on all of my backpacking trips, day hikes, and
      even to climb Mt Shasta here in Northern California. The elevation
      where I hike ranges from about 2000 ft (610 m) to over 8000 ft (2438
      m) with summer temperatures ranging from 70 f (21.11 c) to about 90 f
      (32.22 c) During these trips this boot has encountered every type of
      terrain out there. It has climbed dusty dry trails, scrambled up
      rocky slopes, descended muddy valleys, crossed rushing creeks, and
      climbed snow covered mountains. The majority of the trails I have
      hiked are dry and dusty. However I have also encountered rain, mud,
      loose rock, slick marble, and snow while doing my hikes within the
      Marble Mountains. I have found them to perform well no matter what
      Mother Nature has thrown at them. During the summer I use them on the
      trail every weekend. I have found the high, stiff ankle support to be
      very nice when I am looking out at the scenery and not noticed the
      ankle breaking rock on the trail, the support has saved me everytime.
      It does not allow my ankle to roll sideways at all. They grip well
      going uphill and hold well coming down the steep trails. Rushing
      creeks are no problem, the ankle is high enough to keep the water out
      while crossing most mountain streams, however even though the boots
      are full grain leather they still need to be waterproofed. I have only
      had to waterproof them once. For this I used Sno-Seal and they have
      performed well with that. This was after the one time my feet got wet
      by moisture seeping through the boot. This happened while hiking up Mt
      Shasta in deep snow. They are a little heavy but I have not had a
      problem with that, even on day hikes I would rather wear these then
      lighter boots or shoes. I have also only gotten one blister on my
      heel, and no where else, while wearing these. I usually backpack with
      a 30 to 40 lb (13.61 to 18.14 kg) pack up steep hills and down sharp
      switchbacks and my feet never complain. I am very pleased with how
      these boots perform in all situations that I have used them in.

      After having these boots for about four years and after hiking at
      least 100 mi (161 km) each summer, they are still in what I would call
      great condition. The leather is still nice and flexible and shows no
      signs of any cracking. Even the sole (which is a Vibram sole, they
      have since switched to a Skywalk MPE sole) has stood up good to the
      hiking I have put these through. The only thing that I have done to
      them is replace the laces because they were looking like they might
      break. There is only minor seperation of the sole from the boot at
      the toe of each, but it is nothing I am concerned about.

      Summary

      I have found the La Sportiva Makalu to be a great boot tackling a
      little bit of everything all in one boot. Although a little heavier
      than some, I have never found it to slow me down. It is a great boot
      to hike and climb in.

      Likes:
      Comfortable
      Durable