68597Re: OWNER REVIEW-Black Diamond Lightsabre Bivy

  • podin04
    Nov 30, 2005
      This is indeed my first bivy. Your comments are valuable and plan on making many of the
      changes you suggest. I may not be able to comment much about the intricacies of the
      material (I'm not as knowledgeable in this area), other than how well it performed. I'll
      make the changes as soon as I can, but that may not be for a day or so given my schedule.
      I may just have to meld yours and the official editor's comments together.
      Dan

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "jeremiahs_mtn" <jeremiahs_mtn@y...>
      wrote:

      > Dan-
      >
      > I liked your review of the Black Diamond Lightsabre Bivy so much that
      > I could not help but get more involved with it. I am NOT an official
      > editor, but I am exercising my option to edit any posted review as
      > outlined in the Survival Guide, so consider all of my edits to be
      > optional (and ideally, to your advantage). The goal of any editing
      > is to improve the product, and that is what I have tried to do here.
      > Some edits (e.g., metric values) will definitely have to be made, but
      > others are to challenge you to improve your description and reporting
      > of the bivy's performance (if this is your first bivy sack then some
      > of my edits regarding comparisons to other styles of bivy sack may
      > not be possible). If you decide to make any changes to your OR
      > before an official editor edits it, then post it back to the group
      > as "REVISED OR – Black Diamond Lightsabre Bivy". Thanks for sharing
      > your experience with the Lightsabre.
      >
      > -Jeremiah Kost
      > Fellow OR Submitter
      >

      > BLACK DIAMOND LIGHTSABRE BIVY

      > Name: Dan Feldman
      > Age: 28
      > Height: 5'11"
      > Weight: 170lbs

      > email: podin04@
      > Residence: Washington, DC
      > Date: 29 November, 2005

      > Favorite Quote: "It would surpass the powers of a well man nowadays to
      > take up his bed and walk, and I should certainly advise a sick one to
      > lay down his bed and run."-Thoreau
      >
      > I consider myself somewhat of a backpacking fanatic. I completed a
      > southbound thru-hike of the AT in 2002. I try to do one middle-
      > distance
      > trip a year (50-100 miles) and usually hike in the summer. I was most

      > 100 miles (80-160 km) . . .
      >
      > recently in Pisgah national Forest in NC for an 85 mile solo trip. I

      > consider myself a light weight backpacker. My pack weight ranges

      > 15-25lbs. A 7-day summer trip I packed for recently had me at a 30lb.
      > pack weight with food and water.

      > I coordinate a wilderness backpacking program for disabled teens
      > through the Sierra Club Inner City Outings program
      > http://www.sierraclub.org/ico/dc/. I'm hoping to delve into some
      > winter backpacking this year.
      >
      > Product Specs:
      >
      > Manufacturer: Black Diamond
      > Year of Purchase: 2003
      > Currently manufactured? Yes
      > Warranty: 1 year limited
      > Manufacturer URL: http://www.bdel.com
      > Listed weight, with poles: 1lb, 4oz
      > Listed Dimensions: 94"x35"x25"

      > dimension)
      >
      > Weight and Dimensions as delivered: same
      > Sleeps: 1
      > Poles: 2 DAC Featherlite
      > Body Material: EPIC and SilNylon
      > Time to Pitch: 1-2 min (with practice!)
      > Factory Sealed? No
      > Can I stuff it in a standard Nalgene bottle? You bet
      >
      > TESTING CONDITIONS
> [...]
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic