      Owner Review
      Date: September 25, 2005

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Bob Wardecker
      Age: 44
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 6" (1.5 m)
      Weight: 180 lb (82 kg)
      Email address: bakpakr at comcast dot net
      City: Carlisle
      State: Pennsylvania
      Country: USA

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been backpacking avidly more than 35 years. I try to get out at
      least twice a month for either a weekend hike or week long hikes. For
      the past few years I have been averaging about 700 mi (1127 km) a year.
      I hike year round. My usual hiking grounds are the Appalachian Trail Pa
      sections. I also hike in local state parks and Shenandoah National Park.
      The trails I hike vary from bushwhacking to graded trails with every
      trail condition in between. I try to keep my pack as light as possible
      but mostly I am unsuccessful.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Sedona Trading Company
      Year of Manufacture: 2005
      Listed weight: ½ oz (14 g)
      Weight as delivered: ½ oz (14 g)
      Package size: 3 in (76 mm)x 5 in (127 mm) 20 capsules per package.*
      MSRP: $2.69, $2.79, $2.89 USD depending on variety

      *= as measured

      Product Description

      Sedona Trading Company makes eight different seasonings. They can be
      purchased in either twenty count or sixty count bags. I purchased the
      twenty count bag. The eight varieties are:
      Asian Seasoning
      Cabo Seasoning
      Great Lakes Seasoning
      HabaJala Seasoning
      Hatteras Seasoning
      Italian Seasoning
      Sedona Seasoning
      Southwest Seasoning

      I received the Sedona, Italian, Southwest seasonings well packaged in a
      card board box. Upon opening the box I found a copy of their recipe book
      and the seasoning packets. The packets are gold plastic on the face with
      the name of the seasoning imprinted upon it. On the reverse the plastic
      is clear with affixed labeling that lists the ingredients and directions
      for use. To open the packet the top must be initially removed by either
      tearing or cutting. Each packet can then be resealed via a ziplock strip
      molded into the packet. Inside the packet are 20 capsules each
      containing approximately 1/4 tsp. of seasonings. The capsules are made
      of a clear gelatin and are 7/8 in (22 mm) x 9/32 in (7 mm). They can be
      used by either pulling them apart and sprinkling the seasonings into the
      food or adding them whole to the food. It is recommended by the
      manufacturer that the capsules be added to the food during heating to
      speed the dissolving of the capsule. Also it is recommended that four
      capsules be used per pound of meat.

      Ingredients

      Italian Seasoning
      Basil, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, thyme

      Sedona Seasoning
      Basil, black pepper, chili peppers, cumin, garlic, lemon zest, onion

      Southwest Seasoning
      Black Pepper, chili peppers, cumin, garlic, onion

      Field information
      a. Location or locations where the test was conducted: Appalachian
      Trail, Pennsylvania sections.
      b. Description of location (geography, terrain, elevation, etc.):
      Appalachian Trail. Various elevations ranging from 805 ft (245 m) to
      1520 ft (463 m), various terrain ranging from loose dirt trail to rocky
      trails.
      c. Weather conditions (temperature, precipitation, etc.): Weather
      conditions consisted of rain, warm, hot, i.e., summer, Temperature range
      from mid to low 50 F (10 C) to highs of 98 F (36 C). The weather was dry
      during the various hikes but with periods of rain.
      d. I purchased the seasonings late spring 2005 and have used them on
      many trips throughout the summer. I added them to most of the meals I
      felt needed spicing up. I used them at home for the initial trial.

      Summary
      I initially purchased the seasonings in late spring 2005 and have been
      using them ever since. I also use them at home. I have added the
      seasonings to Lipton, Ramen and I have made chili from scratch with
      them. I found that combining the different varieties works well. I am
      well pleased with the seasonings due to their convenience and taste. I
      have used both methods of adding them to the food I am preparing. I
      found that the hotter the food is before adding the whole capsule the
      faster the gelatin dissolved. I expected the spices to clump as the
      gelatin dissolved but this did not happen. I also found that to my taste
      the recommended four capsules per pound of meat are not enough. I just
      added one or two more capsules depending on how the foods tasted. I did
      not purchase all varieties of the spices, but have used the Italian,
      Sedona, and Southwest seasonings. I mainly use the Italian for Italian
      tasting dishes The Sedona and Southwest for Mexican and southwestern
      tasting dishes. The Sedona and Southwest have a bit of a spicy bite to
      them so go well with dishes that I want to have bit of heat. I also
      found that while storing them in my pack that heat did not affect them.
      The ziplock closure works well in keeping the packets closed and in
      keeping the elements out. I did have the misfortune to have one of the
      packets crushed while it was in my pack. The only damage I found to the
      capsules was that they were a bit flat with none of them breaking.

      Things I Like
      1. Ease of use
      2. Taste
      3. Variety of flavors
      4. Ziplock sealing
      5. Durability

      Things I Dislike
      I really can’t find fault with the varieties I tried.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic