      OR: MSR BlackLite Gourmet Cookware Set

      Tester Bio

      Name: John E Musser
      Age: 47
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 0" (1.83 m)
      Weight: 205 lbs (93 kg)
      Email address: jembackpackerATsbcglobal.net
      City, State, Country: Pharr, Texas, USA

      Backpacking Background

      I've been a hiker and cyclist for the past 15 years, usually carrying a
      moderate weight 25 to 40 lbs (11 to 18 kg). I occasionally will carry
      heavier items if I feel the comfort level is worth the weight. I usually
      plan on fairly long days hiking at a rate of 3 miles (4.8 km) per hour. I
      have confined most of my exploits to areas within 600 mi (950 km) to 800 mi
      (1300 km) of home and 1 to 8 days in length.

      Field use

      I use my MSR Blacklight cookset on nearly every trip I take. No matter what
      temperature extremes are expected. I like camp cooking and prefer to take
      time to make a hot meal and sit and enjoy it.

      Product Information

      Component Weights (Actual) 23-1/2 oz (665 g) (MSR)

      Weights and Dimensions

      1. Lid 4 oz. (113 gr) 7-7/8 (200 in)
      2. Pot Clamp 2 oz.(61 gr) 2 in x 5 in (5 cm
      x`13 cm)
      3. Frying Pan 7 oz (198 gr) 7-3/4 in x 1.5 in
      ( 20 cm x 4 cm)
      4. Large Pot 8 oz (227 gr) 7-5/8 in x 3-1/4
      (18 cm x 8 cm)
      5. Small Pot 6 oz (170 gr) 7 in x 2-3/4 (18
      cm x 7 cm)
      6. Stuff Sack 2 oz (61 gr) Nylon mesh stuff

      The system stores starting with the frying pan with the large pot sitting
      in it. Next I put the small pot. In the small pot I place the pot
      clamp/handle and place the cover on top of it all. Finally I put the whole
      set into the nylon stuff sack.

      Owners Review

      I have had my MSR BlackLite Gourmet Cookware set for about 2 or 3 years,
      soon after MSR added them to their product lineup. I had used an Evernew
      cook set, but had always been unhappy with the cooking/scorching that I had
      tried to become accustomed for several years.

      I most likely will boil 1 liter of water in the 1.5 liter pot for most
      dehydrated meals. For in pot meals I use the 2 liter pot. MSR has managed a
      design that allows a single lid to fit both pots and the 7.2" (18.5 cm).
      The lid has been built to fold down for easy storage. MSR now provides a
      pack towel to use between the pots to minimize wear and tear. I use heavy
      duty shop towels for the same purpose. For cleanup a simple wipeout with
      one of the rags and a small amount of hand sanitizer (emphasis on small)
      and the cookset is ready to use again. I particularly like making pancakes
      in the morning. I mix up the batter in a 1 quart (946 ml) heavy duty
      zip-lock bag and cut off a corner. I make a quick squeeze (learned by
      practice) and make perfect 6" pancakes every time. I also use the cookset
      to pan-fry potatoes and even steaks. My typical diet is usually centered
      around fully field cooked meals on a 2-3 day trip switching to dehydrated
      meals for longer trips. I usually carry 1 or 2 MRE's (Army for Meals Ready
      to Eat) which contain their own heating pouch. Pancakes are a truly a
      trailside comfort food for me and I love to make them even though I have to
      spend a little extra time before hitting the trail. I use MSR's Alpine
      Folding Utensils to flip the pancakes but I will write a separate OR for
      the set in the near future.

      After 2 or 3 years the only wear showing on the non-stick surface is where
      the "panhandler" grips the side of the pots and fry pan. I have not had
      other problems like cupping/warping etc. I find that the MSR Blacklight
      cookset conducts VERY well. It is on occasion difficult to fry pancakes for
      instance. I have found in a real chore to get the heat low enough to cook
      evenly, without scorching I find this item to be the one flimsy aspect of
      the MSR Blacklight cookset. I wish that MSR would at least offer as an
      accessory a more robust pot handle.

      I find the MSR Blacklight cookset to be adequate for 2-3 people which is my
      usual group. All things considered I give the MSR Blacklite Non-Stick Pots
      a hearty thumbs up!