643Re: [BackpackGearTest] PUR water filter information...

  • j j
    Jan 15, 2001
      Following is an E-mail I received from PUR on January 6.
      ========

      Subject:      Message from PUR Outdoor Products

      Thanks for contacting PUR.
      I can certainly understand your frustration. We feel it here, too. Please
      understand that the recommendation being made about the use of the purifiers is
      geared toward the worst possible conditions under which you would use the
      purifier. In most conditions, virus kill is immediate when they come in contact
      with iodine. The only situation when this is not the case is when the water you
      want to filter meets ALL THREE of these conditions: Heavily contaminated water,
      extremely cold water (around 32 degrees F), and water with a high pH level. If
      you're reasonably certain that the water you're filtering does not meet these
      conditions, you'll be just fine using a single pass with out the Stop Top. We're
      confident the purifier filters meet or exceed the claims. No changes are being
      made to the filters themselves. We're simply advising an extra measure of
      precaution and common sense until the EPA gives its approval.

      I hope this helps you make more sense of the issue. If you have additional
      questions, please drop me a line anytime.

      Juergen,  1088180
      USA PUR Team