6172Re: Green Pepper polar pants pattern review

  • Chris Tirpak
    Dec 3, 2001
      Great review.

      I assume from the description on the web site that these are intended
      as all around fleece pants, not as tights? How do you feel they
      turned out vs. store bought? I am mainly thinking in terms of the
      fit and feel as opposed to something you may have tried on in a store
      that you thought was similar.

      Also, do you have more links to patterns, fabrics, and such that you
      found as you were gathering information for this project? I think
      there are more than a few people on the list that are interested.

      Thanks.
      Chris

      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Elizabeth A. Foshion" <foshione@d...>
      wrote:
> [...]
      > possible. For example, polyester fabric will fray cotton thread over
      > time.
      > ----------------------
      > I would rate this pattern as easy if you make it without the
      zippered
      > pockets. The pockets raise the difficulty to average. It results in
      > snug fitting, tapered pair of pants with zippered pockets and a
      integral
      > waistband.
      >
      > IMO, this is a difficult pattern to make fitting changes to. If you
      need
      > to make significant changes, I would recommend trying the pattern
      out on
      > some cheap no-name fleece before cutting into your $$ polar fleece.
      > ----------------------
      > The instructions are pretty clear and include useful illustrations
      for
      > fabric layouts and construction methods. The glossary of terms and
      > techniques is useful for a beginner sewer. Since this is a fleece
      > pattern, including some fleece sewing tips would have been useful.
      > Textile Outfitters has some tips on their website that I found
      helpful:
      > http://www.justmakeit.com/.
      >
      > I ordered some real Polartec 200 fleece (dark gray) to make this.
      > Comparing the Polartec to no-name fleece, the Polartec has a much
      > smoother, firm surface with more loft. It cuts more easily and
      > uniformly. It doesn't shed or pill when handled. It's also easier to
      > sew. BTW, I have enough fleece left over to make a hat or gloves or
      > couple of pairs of socks. The pattern recommend ball-point needles
      > (commonly used for knits), but I found microtex sharps to work
      > marvelously.
      >
      > The pattern consists of 1 leg piece (cut 2), 1 pocket (cut 2), and 1
      > binding (buy pre-made). The pattern is well designed to minimize
      > stressed seams, but it really is a bear to make alterations to.
      >
      > I recommend cutting the 2 leg pieces separately, rather than on top
      of
      > each other. Fleece (like velvet and other napped fabrics) will try
      > crawl during the cutting if you have 2 layers. Considering how
      expensive
      > polar fleece is (and most of us have to mail order), better to take
      your
      > time and cut carefully. I also found a piece of tailors chalk very
      > useful in planning my cutting layout.
      >
      > Murphy Opportunity: It's essential to have the stretchiness of the
      > fabric horizontal to the legs, otherwise they won't fit.
      >
      > I decided to make this pattern without pockets. I will use these
      pants
      > for low activity and cold weather. If it's cold enough for the
      pants,
      > I'll be wearing a jacket with plenty of pockets. The pants can be
      > hemmed, or finished with a stretch binding. I chose the stretch
      binding
      > to make the ankles more snug - again, good in cold weather.
      Although an
      > integral waistband is fashioned by turning the waist, I chose to
      add a
      > separate waistband to get a smoother fit.
      > ----------------------------
      > My costs:
      > Polartec 200 - $34.60
      > elastic - $2
      > ----------------------------
      > Final Thoughts:
      > I like this pattern and will make my husband a pair. Binding the
      ankles
      > may frustrate a first time sewer - if you take your time, it will
      work
      > out; or, just hem them. It's worth the expense to use real polar
      fleece.
      > No-name fleece would quickly pill at friction points, lose loft, and
      > probably tear at the seams.
      >
      > Elizabeth
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic