54399Big Agnes Hog Park Sleeping Bag - FR - Chuck Carnes

  • Chuck Carnes
    Jul 1 1:22 PM
      Edit away!
      Also html version found here:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/BAHogParkFRCCarnes

      I could not get this to be clickable, what am I doing
      wrong?

      Field Report: Big Agnes Hog Park Sleeping Bag

      Biographical Information:
      Name: Chuck Carnes
      Age: 34
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6�0� (1.83 m)
      Weight: 175 lbs (79 kg)

      Email address: ctcarnes1@...

      City, State, Country: Taylors, South Carolina, United
      States

      Date: July 1, 2004

      Backpacking Background:
      I have been influenced to go camping and backpacking
      all my life. Every summer for the first 5 years of my
      life, my parents took me camping. I was in the Boy
      Scouts at the age of 12 and have been backpacking, on
      and off, ever since. Needless to say, I love the
      outdoors. I enjoy taking a lot of STUFF in my pack and
      can�t seem to get my total pack weight down - I wonder
      why. I usually hike around Pisgah National Forest and
      The Great Smoky Mountains. I go at any time of the
      year and try to hit the trails when there is no rain.
      If it does rain, it�s okay. Trail terrain, such as
      rocky trails or muddy trails, is not that big of an
      issue with me. I just like getting out and enjoying
      nature.

      Product Information:
      Manufacturer: Big Agnes, Inc.
      Style of Sleeping Bag: Rectangular
      Size: Regular
      Temperature Rating: 20�F (-7�C)
      Year of Manufacture: 2003
      MSRP: $129.00 (US)

      Weights and Measurements: (Scale: Pelouze model K-5)
      Listed weight: 4 lb 12 oz (2.15 kg)
      Weight as delivered (in stuff sack): 6 lb 2 oz (2.78
      kg)
      Note: Big Agnes is aware of the weight discrepancy
      but has not updated their web
      site as of this report.
      Listed Dimensions (in stuff sack): 10 in (25 cm) x 22
      in (56 cm)
      Dimensions as delivered (in stuff sack): 10 in (25 cm)
      x 22 in (56 cm)
      *See my Initial Report for other weights and
      measurements

      Taken from the web site:
      �The Park series is a new generation of sleeping
      bags. Pure, simple, COMFORT! With a 25" wide and 2.5"
      thick pad, the Park bags are so roomy you'll think you
      are in you're own bed. Car campin', horse packin',
      river trippin', PURE PLEASURE. Park bags are filled
      with quallofil insulation, have a soft poly cotton
      liner fabric and a durable nylon rip-stop shell
      fabric. All three park bags are semi-rectangular, and
      have the identical insulation material, fabrics and
      features. The difference is in the amount of fill
      which defines the temperature rating.�

      Field Information and Terrain:
      The BA Hog Park Sleeping Bag has been used several
      times over the past month, a few nights out in the
      woods of our property to get away for a good nights
      sleep but still be close to home and a weekend at
      Jones Gap for a weekend get-a-way with some friends.

      The several nights that I slept in this bag on my
      property the weather was very nice. The temperatures
      were low to mid 50s F (10s C) at night. The tiny
      campsite that I am able to walk to is within 500 ft
      (152 m) of my house. The area is not plush as one
      would think being that close to a house but it was
      picked out for the purpose of having the feel of not
      having the luxuries of home. The ground is very hard
      in this area and has several roots and rocks to add to
      the discomfort. I am able to test gear on a worst case
      scenario that I might not get on some of the long
      hikes that are in the mountains and along the banks of
      rivers. When I am out on a long trip, I like to find
      the best site there is for an enjoyable time.

      The away trip was to Jones Gap near Caesars Head in
      South Carolina. This was a weekend trip for two nights
      where the temperatures were a warm 60 to 70 F (15 to
      21 C) at night near the rivers edge. The first night
      the camp site was a nice low lying grass that
      canvassed the floor of wilderness. The second night
      the campsite was not as nice as the first night. The
      only place that would work with my tent was an area
      that roots flooded the whole campsite. Thanks to the
      BA Hinman Pad that is suggested and was tested with
      this bag, it was still an enjoyable night sleep.

      Field Use of the Bag:
      Around the house where we are staying is quite a bit
      of land that I am able to wander on and get away from
      the house but still be close by for emergencies. My
      son and I will go out sometimes on the weekend to
      enjoy this time together without the long hike to a
      camp site. In this situation the bag was easy to carry
      in its stuff sack that BA provided. This is almost
      like car camping which in my opinion is what the Park
      series bags were designed for. After setting up the
      tent over the roughest part of the site to truly test
      this bag and pad for comfort, I slid the pad in the
      sleeve that is provided on the bottom of the bag. This
      is very easily done by kneeling down in the middle of
      the pad. This causes the pad to rise up on the end in
      front of you. Then you simply slide the bag over the
      edge of the pad and start pulling the bag toward you;
      like putting a pillow in a pillow case. This sleeve
      keeps the bag and pad together for those nights of
      tossing and turning. After getting in the bag that
      night I realized that it was to hot outside to be
      snuggled up in this bag. I ended up opening the bag
      completely and lying on top of it. I really like the
      soft material that is inside this bag, it feels like a
      soft, worn out T-shirt. I found out the next morning
      that this material doesn�t repel moisture as well as
      the shell of the bag. Since I did not put the rain fly
      on my tent, morning dew had found its way into the
      tent and landed on me and the open sleeping bag. I was
      able to lay it out in the sun and it dried very
      quickly.

      On the trip to Jones Gap I had to stuff the bag into
      the bottom of my pack. I have to say that this bag
      does not compress very small when shoving it into the
      bottom of my pack. I was still able to get the rest of
      my gear in the pack but it was very tight. I think in
      the future I will put this bag into a compression sack
      to compress it more so that it will fit in my pack a
      lot better. I truly felt the weight of this bag along
      with its companion, the BA Hinman Pad. The total
      combined weight of just the bag and pad is a heavy 11
      lbs (5 kg).

      At the campsite I pulled the bag from the bottom of
      my pack and placed it in the tent. So far the bag
      seems to keep its loft even after having it stuffed so
      tight. I will monitor this throughout the test period
      to see if stuffing the bag many times creates a loss
      of loft in the bag. On both nights of this trip I was
      still not able to get full use of the bag, meaning the
      temperatures were not low enough at night to be in the
      bag completely and zip it up fully. I did, however,
      sleep on top of the bag while it was fully zipped.
      This created a lot of cushion with the double layer of
      the bag and the pad. The next two mornings I was again
      dampened by the dew that fell early that morning or
      condensation. The shell of the bag seemed to
      adequately resist the moisture from the dew and
      condensation from penetrating the material any further
      than the shell. On both occasions I was able to lay
      the bag out in the sun for it to dry. I am very
      impressed at how quick this bag dries when it gets
      damp.

      Overall I am very pleased with this bag. Although I
      have not experienced extremely cold weather during
      this first test period, I do expect to test it to its
      fullest in the late fall and early winters towards the
      end of the Long Term Report. All zippers are still
      working as they should and I have not seen any wear on
      the bag or any frayed seams. I am looking forward to
      testing the full functionality of this bag when that
      time comes.

      Future Test Plan:
      I plan to continue to test the Big Agnes Hog Park
      sleeping bag along with the Big Agnes Hinman Pad as
      part of a sleeping system. I will also test the bag
      with a closed cell pad to experience the ease of
      sliding it in the sleeve of the Hog Park. I will also
      be monitoring the amount of dirt and oil that the bag
      will be exposed to and see how well the inner fabric
      holds up. I will be on several weekend trips
      throughout the test period and plan to report on the
      degree and insulation factor during the colder months.
      I also will be able to report on the use of the draft
      collar and draft tube along the zipper to see how well
      they prevent cold air from entering into the bag.

      Likes and Dislikes So Far:
      Likes:
      Very comfortable
      Very soft inner liner
      Very roomy

      Dislikes:
      Too bulky and heavy for backpacking (but perfect for
      car camping)
      Other than that, none at the moment

      Thank you Big Agnes and BGT for the opportunity to
      test this sleeping bag

      =====
      Chuck Carnes

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail