      From: Roger Caffin [mailto:r.caffin@...]
      Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2004 3:25 PM
      To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [BackpackGearTest] Amigo mermaids

      Rebecca wrote

      > The H20 Amigo is a 7.5 oz gravity feed water filtration system. Inline
      > filter effectively removes 99.8% of waterborne contaminants to assure
      > quality drinking water from suspect sources.

      Sorry, but ...
      Does this unit have any EPA certification?

      ### The only filter I know of that carries an EPA certification is the
      General Ecology First Need Water Purifiers. All others (Katadyn Pur, MSR,
      etc.), that I know of, are listed as filters, not purifiers. The EPA has no
      certification or standards for filters.

      Is there any more information about the pore size or independant lab results
      for what it will remove in the categories of protozoa, bacteria, viruses and
      chemicals?

      ### Contact Seychelle. Among others, I saw a report from some Australian
      government lab. It was three years ago so that is all I remember at it.

      ### No filter is EPA certified because, as I understand it, there is no EPA
      certification for filters. Purifiers yes, filters, no. It is a filter, not a
      purifier.

      My concern is that '99.8%' removal does not meet any EPA standards for
      anything, and if this is applied to either protozoa (eg Giardia) or bacteria
      (eg E coli) it would leave enough nasties in the water for it to remain a
      health hazard. It would be very useful to know what risks we might be taking
      with our own health.

      ### Then I don't think I'd risk testing this one, if I were you. Boiling is
      the only certain way to kill *all* the nasties under any water conditions. I
      suggest you use that. BTW, none of the major filter manufacturers, that I am
      aware of, advertise their products as EPA approved. Also, lab testing
      indicates that the municipal water supplies of most all US cities of any
      significant size have levels of the aforementioned nasties higher that the
      listed after filter levels listed for the Seychelle. Or any other major
      manufacturer's filters either, for that matter. If you come to the US don't
      risk drinking the water.

      If it does use the Seychelle filter cartridge as someone suggested, does
      this mean it would be susceptable to the same risks of breakage? If not the
      Seychelle cartridge, then any idea what materials and pore size?

      ### Yes, it uses a Seychelle filter. The only breakage problems the
      Seychelle has is if you take it apart. These filters come preassembled so
      there is no reason to ever take them apart. Leave it alone and you can't
      break it.... ;o)

      Any other questions Roger?
      Jerry
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic