49252Re: INITIAL REPORT - JetBoil Stove

  • Andy Rad
    Apr 1, 2004
      No wind shild used on the canister stove (Primas Alpine Micro), but I
      did use the factory supplied wind shild on the MSR Whisperlight.

      I ran both stoves at ~60% flame output to compensate for shield and
      the pan only having a 6" base.

      As noted the flame exhaust was not hot.

      I'd be interested in learning more about the shield you mentioned and
      could rerun the test on the Primus.

      Andy

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Edward Ripley-Duggan
      <erd@w...> wrote:
      > Andy -- I looked over your IR with great interest, since I've been
      > intrigued by the Jetboil since I first saw it in action. I've
      resisted
      > getting one as I own too many stoves! One thing that I was curious
      about.
      > In the canister stove comparison were you using any form of
      windshield? I
      > use a aluminum flashing shield (pretty much the design that the guy
      at
      > Backpacking Light came up with) on my Snow Peak. It doesn't cause
      any of
      > the dread canister heating. I have a feeling (not yet put to formal
      test)
      > that it significantly improves efficiency. If you don't use a
      shield, in a
      > way it's comparing apples and oranges. Also curious to know (maybe
      I missed
      > this) which stove you were using for that test, though it may not
      be hugely
      > relevant. This is not a critique, merely curiosity.
      >
      > Ted.
      >

      > >Message: 21
      > > Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 06:17:27 -0000
      > > From: "Andy Rad" <andy.rad@h...>
      > >Subject: INITIAL REPORT - JetBoil Stove
      > >
      > >Reformatted from HTML and cleaned up.
      > >Posted to test site for view of TABLE and PHOTO.
      > >http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/JetBoil%20-%
      20by%
      > >20Andy%20Rad/
      > >

      > Reply to: erd@w...
      > WILSEY RARE BOOKS, MEMBER ABAA
      > http://www.wilsey.net
      > Phone: (845) 657-7057 Fax: (845) 657-2366
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic