47049Initial Report: Sealskinz Gloves - Rick

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Mar 2 8:20 AM
      Here is the IR on the gloves:
      The html version is posted to the Tests part of the Test folder.

      SealSkinz® ChillBLOCKER™ Gloves
      Initial Report by Rick Allnutt

      PRODUCT INFORMATION
      Manufacturer: Danalco, Inc.
      Year Manufactured:2004
      Manufacturer's Link: Danalco
      MSRP: $49.95
      Size: Medium
      Color: Black
      Listed Weight: NA
      Measured Weight: 3.2 oz (91 gm)
      Review Date: 2 March 2004

      PERSONAL BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION
      Rick Allnutt
      50 Year old male
      6' 0'' (183 cm) in height
      198 lbs (90 kg) in weight
      Glove size: 7 1/2 US
      Email address: ra1 (at) imrisk (dot) com
      I live in Dayton, Ohio

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
      Over the last 18 months, I have gone from being a heavy-weight (2 Duluth Pack)
      canoe camper to a three-season base pack weight of about 9 lb (4 kg) and skin
      out weight of 20 lb (9 kg). I have completed 5 ultralight section hikes on the
      AT with a total mileage of over 200 miles (322 km). I am an ultralight hiker, a
      gearhead, a hammock camper, and make much of my own equipment.

      REVIEW
      The gloves arrived in a small, clear package. The size of the gloves is clearly
      marked on a piece of card inside the package. The size of the gloves is also
      marked with the sticky dots on the palm of each glove.

      The Danalco web site includes clever JAVA programming, and is easy to navigate.
      The gloves, as received, were much like I had expected. However, the fleece
      lining was thinner than I had expected, and the glove does not seem to be much
      thicker than other, non-lined SealSkinz products I have bought in the past. The
      information on sizing on the Danalco site worked well to give me a pair of
      gloves just the right size.

      The outside surface of the glove consists of a knit fabric. Under this, in
      bright light, a shiny membrane can be seen through the knit. On the palm
      surface of the glove, a pattern of sticky plastic dots is applied to the fabric.
      Off my hand, the glove seems to bend away from the palm. It intuitively seems
      natural to put the gloves on the opposite hands because of this bending.
      However, it immediately became clear that the sticky dots are meant to increase
      grip and belong on the palm. The dots cover the surface of the palm and the
      palmar surface of all five fingers.

      The inside surface of the gloves is covered with a thin layer of fleece. The
      welded seam between the glove front and back is much more obvious on the inside
      surface than the outside surface.

      The gloves fit my hands well and seem very comfortable.

      My first test of waterproof gloves is to put my hands under running water. When
      I did this with these gloves, it was immediately apparent that there is a
      pinhole leak along the inside seam of my left little finger. It seems to be
      along the weld between the top half and the bottom half of the glove. The lining
      and my finger became cold with the cold water leaking into the glove at this
      point. I have contacted our test moderator about the problem to determine how
      to further handle the problem. I normally would contact the company to arrange
      returning the glove for replacement. The right glove is completely waterproof.

      The outside, knit surface of the gloves absorbs a fair amount of water. It took
      overnight to completely air dry the outside of the gloves. I then turned the
      palms inside out to dry the water that had leaked into the left glove. I did
      not turn each finger inside out, as it seems this would cause too much stress of
      the glove material. Even though I did not turn the little finger inside out,
      the moisture in that finger dried quickly (less than 2 hours) with the palm
      inside out.

      TEST PLAN

      The gloves will become my standard outdoor glove for the waning winter. Though
      most of my report will deal with backpacking issues for the gloves, I also have
      the opportunity to use the gloves for bike riding in cold wet conditions and
      kayaking in very low water temperatures.

      The items important to me for evaluation of the gloves include:
      - overall comfort - feels good to my skin
      - use of my fingers in the gloves - how stiff are they, and how tired might my
      fingers get trying to overcome the shape of the glove
      - do they keep me warm?
      - do they keep me dry?
      - do they breathe and let moisture escape?
      - do the gloves work best with a thin under-glove or without?