42689Re: MSR MIOX Purifier

  • redbike64
    Dec 1, 2003
      They're out on the racks at the Seattle REI. I took one out of the
      box and played with it at length there some three weekends ago. They
      had plenty in stock, and I was pleasantly surprised to see them out
      where you could get at them, rather than behind a glass case.

      Anyway, it's probably simplest to think of the Miox as a tiny on-site
      chemical treatment plant. It would seem that the solution generated
      is similar, if not identical to the more familiar Aqua Mira/Pristine,
      only instead of mixing two reagents you add water and push a button.
      Is it worth it? That's for folks to decide for themselves. In size
      and heft it's equivalent to an all-plastic 2xAA flashlight, larger
      than a pair of bottles, smaller than any filter.

      For those fixated on the 4-hour time, remember that it's the worst-
      case spec for crypto, and in that regard is no different than that
      for ClO2. If you know for a fact that you need to treat for crypto, a
      filter or the UV gizmo are probably your only logical choices. Iodine
      is ineffective.

      --Rick

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Doughty"
      <woebegone03@h...> wrote:
      > I don't believe the 2004 catalog is out yet. I usually get then
      > pretty promptly. It'll be interesting to see what the printed
      catalog
      > has to say about them, but I've found that the MSR catalogs and
      > website is pretty thin on details. I'm told that MSR is having a
      hard
      > time getting the MIOX out the door.
      >
      > woe.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic