38996Re: FIELD REPORT: Brasslite Turbo I (Steve)

  • Aaron
    Oct 5, 2003
      I've found that if I close the ports about 1/2-3/4 way during
      initial firing, the boil time increases significantly, but less fuel
      is used. How much less, I'm not exactly sure. There's a trade-off in
      allowing the pot to heat more slowly due to ambient heat loss to the
      air, which may be modified by playing with the windscreen. I haven't
      been able to consistently get any of my stoves to use less than 12
      ml. of alcohol to boil 16oz. of water, even under "ideal"
      conditions. 12 ml. seems to be the lower limit. There are so many
      other external factors besides fuel(air temp, water temp, elevation,
      wind, pot size/material, and position of windscreen) that whatever
      results I might obtain would not easily be duplicated by others in
      the field. Most people seem to be able to get a boil of 16 oz. of
      water using 15 ml(0.5 oz) of alcohol. However, in BGT (and other)
      field tests I've sometimes heard an ounce wasn't enough if the wind
      was blowing. There are steps that can be taken to improve the
      environment around the pot (ie. foam pad wind break) to bring the
      fuel usage back in line with average. In other words, fuel economy
      is also mitigated by the experience level of the user.

      Aaron
      http://www.brasslite.com

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "rcaffin" <r.caffin@t...>
      wrote:

      > This raises an interesting point, which may or may not be of value
      > Aaron (and others). I use propane/butane gas stoves. On a recent
      trip
      > I found I was going to be short on gas (er - miscalculation while
      > packing), so I went into 'economy mode'. I did just the same
      amount
      > of cooking, but I ran the gas flame very low all the time. Instead
      of
      > using 40 g/day, I used only 28 g/day! I was getting far more of
      the
      > flame energy into the pot by having the flame low. Cooking times
      were
      > almost the same.
      >
      > Can Aaron's stoves be throttled right down to economise on fuel in
      > the same manner?
      >
      > Cheers
      > Roger Caffin
    • Show all 34 messages in this topic