      From: Helen Hillberg [mailto:hhloth@...]
      Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 8:29 AM
      To: BackpackGearTest
      Subject: [BackpackGearTest] Explanation of Late/Early Reports

      I figure an explanation for my late, then early reports is needed.

      On September 18th my 89 year-old father-in-law, Dad, had a fall and
      suffered a stroke. My husband was hiking the PCT and I was able to
      contact him in Skycomish, WA. He flew to Wisconsin to see his Dad and I
      flew out the next day. As it turned out, Dad, by nods and hand squeezes
      told my husband to get himself back on the trail and finish, so Larry
      and I passed in the air. I stayed overnight and flew home to put my
      affairs in order and got word that Dad had asked for his IV to be
      removed shortly after I left. I was home for only a few hours before
      jumping in the car and driving back, practically non stop, with my dogs.
      The person I had caring for them had not done a good job.

      Dad, with all six of his children by his side, passed away on October
      4th after starving to death. His brain was active and sharp to the end.
      I am still so angry and tearful as I write this I don't think the
      sadness of the way he was forced to die will ever go away. He was a
      wonderful man.

      Returning home after the funeral, I took my time and camped out along
      the way. By the time I got home it felt like an eternity had passed and
      I knew I was late with All my reports and I didn't really care, though I
      did manage to write one. Instead of reading mail and getting organized
      I went camping at the last place Dad had visited when he was out here.
      I spent two nights, hiked myself silly, cried buckets and talked to Dad.

      When I got home to stay I threw myself into writing reports which turned
      out to be very early reports. The due dates for the reports had got all
      jumbled up in my head, and even though I now know the due dates it still
      feels like everything just has to be late. How could so little time
      have passed.

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .