19215Re: [BackpackGearTest] Re: Manufacturer links (was Platy Reviews and CD link thoughts)

  • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
    Nov 1, 2002
      I haven't been following this tread too closely, but here is what I put in
      my Therm-a-Rest owner's review:

      -James T.

      Product information
      Item: Ridge RestĀ® 25
      Manufacturer: Therm-a-Rest Brand, from Cascade Designs
      Year of Manufacture: 2002
      MSRP: $35.00

      "Andy Mytys"
      <amytys@highstrea To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
      m.net> cc:
      Subject: [BackpackGearTest] Re: Manufacturer links (was Platy Reviews and CD link
      11/01/2002 10:27 thoughts)
      AM
      Please respond to
      BackpackGearTest

      But, could this just be the case because MSR just got acquired?
      Perhaps they will be integrated into the future... at the very least
      a link on the tab that takes to to the more robust MSR page?

      CD might, on the other hand, want to keep MSR seperate with no links
      because MSR has a history and a reputation on its own that's very
      marketable. I personally thought they did themselves a disservice by
      branching the MSR name into tents and filters, not to mention
      hydration and trekking poles.

      MSR is a rocking stove maker. Cookware and organic foods were even a
      stretch, IMO.

      Maybe the best route is to not have any hard and fast rules, and just
      post manufacturer URLs using common sense. If it looks like a
      standalone company, treat it as one irrespective of what's going on
      at the corporate level.

      With the number of mergers going on these days, and the speed of
      their execution, do we really want to keep up with the politics?
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic