19185Re: Manufacturer links (was Platy Reviews and CD link thoughts)

  • Andy Mytys
    Oct 31, 2002
      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., <m_factor@b...> wrote:
      > Hi Andy,
      >
      > Keep in mind, this is a list of manufacturer's links, not product
      > links.

      Right. I just wanted to point out how they take a "ghost" approach
      to many of their products... whether intentional or not. The CD
      logo is much less prominant than product names such
      as "PackTowl", "Therm-A-Rest" and "Platypus". In fine print, it
      says "By Cascade Designs". Furthermore, the products are
      miscellaneous items and a little disjointed... they don't fit
      together like packs or sleeping bags. The products are more of
      an "afterthought" or "luxury" than a hiking necessity.

      So, CD products, IMO, have an aura of being seperate companies.

      If listed under Cascade Designs (I too favor being fair and treating
      all vendors the same) I just want to make sure we list all the
      products where it makes sense.

      > How do we want to handle manufacturers like Cascade Designs that
      > have multiple products?

      It is an interesting question. It could be argued that most
      companies have multiple products. TNF, Granite Gear, Integral
      Designs, etc. I think what's unique about CD is that they treat
      their product lines like seperate brands, and CD as the parent
      company.

      > For example, I just found out today that Cascade Designs bought
      > MSR from REI last year.

      Yeah - I didn't even know that REI owned MSR until a few months
      back. And, MSR bought Walrus... I think it was Walrus at least...
      some niche tent manufacturer.

      This opens another dilemma... as MSR has traditionally been a
      strong, standalone, company in terms of public perception. Should
      we "hide" MSR under Cascade Designs, just because of a corporate
      merger? Perhaps we should just make arbitrary decisions, based
      on "perception" of the product itself. Is it merely a line of
      products under the corporate logo, or a brand unto itself...
      irrespective of who the parent company may be.

      Take the auto industry. If you want to buy a Volvo or a Jaguar, do
      you think you're buying a Ford? Is a SAAB a Chevy? Some brands are
      strong enough, due to history or perception, to stand alone.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic