Baader solar filter

  • patrickduis
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2009
      Hi, a few months ago I bought a fairly cheap (around 40 euro's) 2nd
      hand (self built) solar filter for my 8" scope. When I look through
      the filter towards the sun I can see it very nicely. Up till now I
      didn't dare to look dat the sun with this filter because I recently
      found out there are 2 grades. 3.5 and 5 ND. Is there any way to tell
      which grade it is?
    • Michael Swanson
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2009
        Hello,

        Turns out it is pretty easy to tell. Take the filter outside on a sunny
        day. If you have the photographic type film (3.8 ND), you will be able to
        see through it when you hold it up in front of you. With the visual type
        film (5 ND), you will not be able to see anything. You can then hold it up
        between you and the Sun. With 3.8 ND, the Sun will be too bright to look at
        comfortably.

        Best regards,
        Mike Swanson
        Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
        Author of "NexStar Observer List"
        http://www.NexStarSite.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 13, 2009
          Thanks, I once looked with only the filter (so no telescope) towards
          the sun without problem, so mine must be of the 5ND type then.

          --- In Baader-Planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Swanson"