Re: 24mm

  • rlderderian
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8 5:13 PM
      Thanks for that answer. Now with that in mind, if I never buy a 2"
      EP, is there any reason to get a 2" diagonal?

      --- In Baader-Planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Swanson"
      <swanson.michael@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > The view is exactly the same whether you are using the eyepieces in
      > 1.25" diagonal or a 2" diagonal. Regarding using them in a 2"
      > diagonal, the lowest black section of the eyepiece is the 2" barrel
      > so you slide the eyepiece in as is. For a picture of how that
      looks,
      > see the Files section of this Group and view the various manuals
      and
      > brochures posted there. Note the description urging care when
      using
      > these eyepieces in a low profile 2" diagonal - it is possible for
      the
      > 1.25" barrel of the eyepiece to bang into the mirror in some
      cases.
      > If you find this to be an issue with a given 2" diagonal, Baader
      > created 2" stop rings to prevent this problem.
      >
      > One additional note - the 13mm has the option of removing the 1.25"
      > barrel from the bottom of the eyepiece which takes the first lens
      > group with it. In that instance, the eyepiece can only be used in
      > 2" diagonal and the focal length changes to about 23mm. In this
      > configuration, the view at the edge of the field deteriorates and
      > since you already have the 24mm, you probably won't want to use the
      > 13mm in this fashion.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Mike Swanson
      > Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
      > Author of "NexStar Observer List"
      > http://www.NexStarSite.com
      >

      > --- In Baader-Planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "rlderderian"
      > <rlderderian@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have a CPC 1100. I just received the 13mm and 24mm Hyperions.
      > In
      > > the future I am going to get a 2 diagonal. How do you convert
      > these
      > > EP's to 2"? Do you need additional parts? Will these EP's give
      > better
      > > views with a 1.25" diagonal or 2", or about the smae?

    • Michael Swanson
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 10 2:09 PM
        Hi,

        There wouldn't be much benefit in purchasing a 2" diagonal if you don't have
        any 2" eyepieces. A couple of things to consider are that 2" diagonals are
        generally higher optical quality than 1.25" models and that almost all 2"
        diagonals have a compression ring that holds the eyepieces better than just
        set screws.

        Regarding dew straps, the eye lens is rather large so if you have a
        significant dew problem in your area you will need one. The diameter of the
        eyepiece is a bit less than 60mm.