New with question

  • larry
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 25, 2011
      Hi all,

      Just got my 10mm(?) Hyperion. Haven't tried it yet as it's darn cold outside.

      I was hoping to purchase several Hyperions to use as both 1.25 and 2 inch eyepieces. In looking at the Baader chart for the Hyperions, it looks to me like if you remove the 1.25 inch barrel from the Hyperions (all but the largest), that the remaining 2 inch eyepieces ALL have about the same focal length, which is about 21mm. Huh? How could that be? If all the differences in the focal length properties are in the 1.25 inch barrel extension, then why not just have different 1.25 barrels and a single lens.

      Perhaps I'm not reading the Baader chart correctly. I'm hoping someone on this list could give some insight.

      Larry
    • Michael Swanson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 25, 2011
        Hi Larry,

        To use the Hyperion eyepieces as 2" eyepieces you do not generally remove the
        1.25" nosepiece with its included lens grouping. Rather you just insert the
        entire thing into the 2" holder, using care that the 1.25" barrel doesn't make
        contact with the diagonal mirror (if using a diagonal).

        As far as differences between the lenses in the main body of the various
        eyepieces, though they produce similar focal lengths with the 1.25" nosepiece
        removed, they do not have the same configuration inside the main body as they
        are optimized for the various final focal lengths.

        Final note about removing the 1.25" nosepiece - this is useful for the purpose
        of inserting the available "fine tuning rings" and changing the focal length
        (higher) or for using the eyepiece at a lower focal length though the edge
        performance suffers noticeably.

        Best regards,
        Mike Swanson
        Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"