Re: [BYMSMworkgroup] Program Announcement 04012

  • Larry Abrams
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 11, 2003
      Hey Alex,

      I have been really doing some growing and thinking lately. As I sit here at the AIDS Administration and begin to reimagine and re-work prevention for MSM, I have a very clear vision of what needs to happen regionally, statewide, and in the larger Metro/DC area.

      Thus, after much thought and procrastination, I have decided to start an agency. In thinking with people I would love to have on my organizing Board you came to me.

      Thus far I have confirmed 5 board members: 2 MPHs; 1 MFCC (marriage Family and Couples counseling MA); 1 MSW. I am working on 2 youth now (1 transgnder and one MSM). I have a lawyer interested, one Harvard PH.d ( a Black Gay man). I have a Black man with a Black belt interested as well. A very well rounded group of All Young Black Professionals. The oldest is 38 thus far.

      I also have 3 volunteer staff. My self as ED. Kontar Mosi (AAMSM) as Deputy Director, and Jennifer Trower as program manager.

      The energy is really brewing and your input would be great or anyone you suggest. I am working on some talking points about hrte agency now.

      let's chat. tentative first meeting in BMORe city 9/20.

      larry
    • Mark McLaurin
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 11, 2003
        Message
        Amen and Hallelujah !

        Brother-

        I am so glad to hear that you are doing something along these lines- especially in the Baltimore area. I just relocated from there- As the former Executive Director of the Black Educational AIDS Project and former Deputy at Changing Faces Inc. (the only two organizations in Baltimore that ever really tried to address AAMSM in any other than a token way)- I send you my congratulations and best wishes.  As you know if, as it appears, you are now over there with the good Dr. Solomon, it has always been really difficult to get the public health community (and resource partners) to focus on Black Gay Men in Baltimore, as there is such a high rate of IV drug use, resources for prevention among African American Men have almost always been diverted to that population.  Combine those stats with a woeful lack of community awareness and advocacy- and it makes for a tough road to hoe !  Meanwhile, brothers continue to die in Baltimore like nowhere else I have seen- (I personally know of six black gay men- one just last week, that have died just this calendar year.)  I am still very well connected there in Bmore and could probably hook you up with some people that are still about the work and are looking for ways to be of assistance.  I wish you the very best with this and Please do not hesitate to call on me if there is anything I can do to help.

        Mark Jason McLaurin
        Associate Director for Prevention Policy
        Gay Mens Health Crisis
        119 West 24th Street, 9th Floor
        New York, NY 10011
        (212)367-1456- Direct Dial
        (212) 367-1235- Facsimile
        (410) 935-7039- Cellular Phone

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 12, 2003

          Good Luck to Larry on his new endeavor on initiating a non profit agency to address the epidemic in the Baltimore AAMSM Community.  Will keep you posted on resources etc….. Harold Hunter

          Community Service Network Inc.

          600 South Magnolia Avenue Suite 107A

          Dunn, North Carolina 28334

          (910)892-8128 Fax: (910) 892-8136